175.16?

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by TheSarge, Jun 21, 2008.

1. TheSarge

TheSarge Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 TI FT
    When are we gonna get full support for ForceWare 175.16? I can't use RivaTuner to overclock at all under the current (2.09) version of RivaTuner and I had to use nTune (yuck!) to do it.

Come on people, 175.16 is only WHQL, after all.:bigsmile:

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

175.16 is already fully supported.

3. TheSarge

TheSarge Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 TI FT
    If so, it doesn't seem to want to support 175.16 on Windows XP x64.
    All I get is an endless reboot cycle. It will ask me to reboot to detect the stock clocks, and no matter what I do next time I launch RivaTuner, it asks the same damm thing. And again. And again. And again and again. It never lets me actually overclock anything. I can change the fan speeds, but nothing else.

4. Unwinder

175.16 is fully supoorted and there won't be any compatibility enhancements for it in v2.10. So you have 2 choices:

1) Search for error on your side
    2) Stop using RT and use some beginner oriented tool like EVGA Precision

5. El Bastardo

El Bastardo Guest

GPU:
    -
    But it's true. I have the same issue:
    Running Windows XP Pro x64 Bit with 175.16 and RivaTuner reports "unknown driver resp. not supported.

Maybe I will switch to older drivers or wait for never ones that will work again!!

6. El Bastardo

El Bastardo Guest

GPU:
    -
    I know it's boring to hear it every time "it doesn't work.
    But that's PC business -_^ so again:

Using Windows XP 64-Bit and the GeForce 175.16 64-Bit driver, RIvaTuner reports "driver not supported" at the beginning.
    To eliminate the faults on my side I restored a HDD backup with a freshly installed windows, installed the drivers and a fresh rivatuner. Same thing.

And next thing with a 9800 GX2: THe hardware monitor does not read the fan duty cycle (not the RPM and not the percentage one). I also can not change the data provider plugin for any Hardware monitor feature.

I tested how the behavior changes when using the card in SLI mode (NVIDIA control panel calls it multi gpu support on) on and off.

It seems when not in SLI mode the fan can not be read and when in SLI and changing hardware level enable fan override than I can see fan ant 60%.

So various things but no real solution yet!!

7. Unwinder

Those who _can_ read always have a solution. Your solution is into post #4: RT is not oriented on beginners, if find it too complex - switch to simple light version of RT (EVGA Precision), it was initially designed special for beginners and 5-button UI is pretty simple even for those who hate documentation.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  8. El Bastardo

El Bastardo Guest

GPU:
    -
    Ah hello there. First I'm no newbie, I used rivatuner a lot and also read the forum a lot. That's why I know how you are normally reacting to such posts and also your answer doesn't bother me (like other people that now would start to scream and flame the board).

As I said I don't think I'm a beginner and rivatuner is not too complex for me. I know many things but ceartainly I'm no pro either.
    I'm using it a lot and up to now with no problems. But now I switched cards (from a 8800 GTS to a 9800 GX2) and Windows and now there is this new situation.

Yeah I looked at the EVGA tool but it's only a very slimmed rivatuner with their label glued on and as I said I don't find rivatuner too complex for me and I'm also willing to read documentations BUT with no hint to where to start searching for errors nobody can learn something new.

So fresh Install with 175.16 drivers and message not supported... I really do not have a clue what my fault can be here (up to now never had this problem with other cards and 32-Bit OS).
    I know the release notes say support for 175.xx drivers and also tested with two GX2 cards.

Next thing is the fan duty cycle at 100%. Searched the forum, found posts from march that say it's a bug in the drivers and also found in may posts that bug should be gone with 175 drivers.
    Not in my case.

So if someone knows the software, already used it much, knows how to configure it but according to new hardware now gets never seen behavior and does not know where to start looking for solutions, asks a bit.
    I don't think it's too newbie like and harsh.

Maybe some other users out there know more about it :)

9. Unwinder

Ugh...
    With ANY driver released AFTER the the latest version of RT you're SUPPOSED to see a message WARNING you that the driver is NEWER than RT and it CAN BE unsupported due to POSSIBLE internal driver architecture differences. And I repeat once again that 175.16 is FULLY supported by RT regardless of this warning message. And I absolutely don't beleive that experienced RT user can fail to understand such simple and basic things. I'm done with the thread. Either start thinking or stop using RT, sorry.

10. El Bastardo

El Bastardo Guest

GPU:
    -
    OK this point is clearly clear now. So I just misinterpreted the emphasis of the message (thanks to windows where every popup let's you believe it's a critical super error).
    Sure when reading your answer word by word it's clear that this is only a generic placeholder warning something could be.

But that's not the real problem (the warning message just let's you easily think it's due to driver incompatibility issues).
    The main problem is that the fan cycle is not reported correctly. I do not say it's a rivatuner fault (heaven forbid). I just see that the communication between the nvidia driver and rivatuner produces a misbehavior and the fan cycle is not reported right.

As I said I found voices that said it's a driver error and I found some that said that these new drivers 175.16 fixed this.
    So not in my case so I just want an answer if it's still a driver issue (so the only thing I can do is wait) or the drivers are supposed to work correctly with the fan and something else is wrong.

I also discovered the behavior that different things are reported for the fan cycle whether you enabled SLI or not (with my single 9800 GX2).

And last:
    As stated in the first line now after reading the warning message again I clearly understand it's meaning and the "basic knowledge" behind it. It was just the first time that I ever saw it.
    Maybe there are the users that switch drivers like socks and reinstall this and that often but in my case I live the rule "never change a running system".
    This and the fact that something is not running the way you expect it to do makes you easily think it's due to driver incompatibility.

So experience with the usage of rivatuner and it's features and possibilities has IMO nothing to do with misinterpreting a popup window.

11. TheSarge

TheSarge Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 TI FT
    Perhaps you aren't running Win XP x64 with 175.16. Otherwise you'd know that what we are reporting is so.
    The problem is real. Stop ignoring it.

Anyways, switched to 177.41 and everything is fine now.
    Thanks for nothing.

12. Unwinder

Thanks for throwing typical noob comment, I'm not surprized.

13. TheSarge

TheSarge Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 TI FT
    You know, all you've done is be dismissive and insulting this whole thread. How the hell did you get to be a moderator, anyways?

Seriously, dude: You need to grow up.

Oh, and you spelt "Surprised" wrong. Good job.

14. El Bastardo

El Bastardo Guest

GPU:
    -
    I know this is going to be offtopic but @ TheSarge:
    You are talking to the man who programmed rivatuner so a comment like "thanks for nothing" really is inappropriate.
    Also pointing out typos... *cough*
    He's russian and I'm german so even I who thinks he can speak english very well is not immune to misspelling.

Still it really sucks that now I can not control my fax dinamically via low-level fan control, it just does not work.

With my other card the 8800 GTS I changed the Tmin and other values, applied and good to go.

The 9800 GX2 won't respond to changes at the low-level fax tab -_- !!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  15. Unwinder

You cannot expect to have the same features on different hardware. Different cards use different fan controllers, 8x00 series use extenral hardware fan controller (ADT7473) which can be re-programmed by RivaTuner's low-level fan control tab, 9x00 series use simple on-die integrated PWM controller and implement temperature based fan control at software (driver) level.

16. El Bastardo

El Bastardo Guest

GPU:
    -
    So now I have the confirmation that this is not a driver issue, ... it's fate -_-
    And not long ago I learned to understand the dynamic fan control stuff and created a calculation spreadsheet (original post here

So there is no way to use the dynamic fan control with the "better" 9-Series cards, that utilize the same chip as the "older" 8-Series cards... cheap nvidia.

Is this also the reason why the Hardware Monitor can not readout the fan speed?? - Because that I can not change the dynamic I can understand now but RPM of the fan should be always readable or am I wrong??

Anyway so the only solution would be "go back to the old system" and create manual thresold events and fan profiles and schedule them.