hd 4850 on the way, vga cooling?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by MileHighMilitia, Jun 21, 2008.

1. MileHighMilitia

MileHighMilitia Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS HD4850 + TT DuOrb 700/1135
    I got my HD 4850 off newegg and am wondering if any of the current vga cooling products will work on this card? Does anyone know? If they will work with some of them, does anyone have any recomendations for a good one? Im not really looking to get something for 50 bucks or anything, but a decent 2 slot cooler that will tame the temps a little would make me happy

2. Aardie

Aardie Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 SLI
    Hi just ordered a 4850 but also ordered a Thermaltake Duorb VGA Cooler after reading this page on a review of the 4850 card.

http://www.techspot.com/review/103-asus-radeon-4850/page10.html

Last Paragraph.

Will update with info when I have my mits on it tommorrow Tuesday.

£22 reckon that equates to nigh on 50 bucks over your side of the pond, too much for you.

Anyways will reveal all tommorrow

Can Take pics if anyone is interested ?

Regards

Keith

3. MileHighMilitia

GPU:
    Well its really not too much for me, it just bites having to dish out about 1/4 of what i payed for the card already. I really wish that HIS would offer an addon IceQ3 cooler for their cards, i would get that if so. Anyways, i can get a DuOrb for 34 bucks, seems like they charged you more then what i can get it for on newegg. I think ill try reseating the heatsink with new thermal compound and then if it still is high either get a DuOrb or similar 3870 cooler.

Theres a couple im looking at as alternatives, this one tops my list right up there with the duorb...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835110015

I like dual slot that blows out of case, question is... "Will it fit?"

4. Aardie

Aardie Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 SLI

5. Iceman0124

Iceman0124 Member

GPU:
    VT4850
    The initial cards are BBA (built by ATI) cards and the only thing thats different from company to company is the sticker and bundle. Second week of july is rumored to be when the in house overclocked and no reference design boards should start rolling out.

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/38077/135/

6. Aardie

Aardie Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 SLI
    Ok got the Duorb on no problem havent bothered with the Ram & VR sinks yet, it was quite easy, hardest part was putting my box back together.

GPU is idling at 32, ambient is about 21 maxes out about 43-44 under load but will give the paste a day or so to settle (my own paste) gpu is at 690 and mem at 1100, the memory did go higher 1153 if I remember correct but with no sinks on them thought I would back it of a little and this was done with with cat center.

Noise my system is now quieter with the 4850 in than my 7950gx2 mainly because those little fans on the nvidia did whine a lot the duorbs fans kinda sound like the rest of the fans in the case (Antec P180) and I do have the duorbs fan on a sunbeam fan controller on max. When the case was open the duorb did sound louder but the P180 being what it is (Thick Sides) the system does sound better.

Tried the ATItool for further overclocking but it crashes directly you run it. shrug

One thing that is winding me up is the profiles manager trying to set it up so it outputs to my HDTV and switch of my second monitor aint happening think I spent more time on that than anything oh and why do I have to go into basic mode to enable Component out to my tv what a ball ache, anyone have any tips ?? was a lot easier with nvidia control panel.

Monitors Dell E245wfp, Optronix 19" LCD (analougue) and 37" HDTV (Component)

Regards

Keith

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  7. Markgpl

Markgpl Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6800
    Rivatuner should work
    Nice results!, i wouldn't buy any card with that stock single slot cooler, had bad experiences with my x1900

8. jameskelsey

jameskelsey Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 6950 2GB
    Rivatuner and the other tools won't work with the 4800's yet,Asus has their own that works with their cards and that's it for fan profiles.Rumor is end of July for new Rivatuner version,no word on others.

9. wiskerbizkit

wiskerbizkit Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850

thats an awesome cooler, i usually dont go over 45c on my 88gt, i put one on my old gts and i see they've designed a cpu cooler after it i'm going to pick it up aswell.

10. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Riva needs a new update to work on most recent cards and drivers (or efficiently anyway)

11. Aardie

Aardie Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 SLI
    Actually the temps are reaching that (43) on Cat Auto clocking tool just been playing Urban Terror (Quake3 Total mod) for approx 1.5 hrs and the temps didnt go past 38 and the ambient has gone up to 22 so way happy with that.

Only thing about the Duorb is the crappy allu sinks would prefer copper ones may order some in the comming weeks see how it goes, the memory is staying Naked till then otherwise the Duorb is pretty darn good :)

Regards

Keith

Cya on Ruds or Sexy Urban Terror Servers :littlegun

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  12. fasteddy

fasteddy Guest

GPU:
    2 x Asus HD6950oc
    I've jsut ordered a pair of Sapphire 4850's to go in a new system I'm building.
    I think with two of these infernos running in my case I'll be interested in an alternative cooling solution too!

I've a Zalman on my current 3850... looking at the pictures of the 4850's pcb I reckon it'll fit that too... anyone used a Zalman VF700 on their 4850?

13. Markgpl

Markgpl Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6800
    BTW, the inquirer says that zalman vf-1000 did very good job cooling the 4850

14. hulksmash

hulksmash Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 560Ti SOC
    I didn't know Rivatuner couldn't change the 4850 stock fan speeds when I got it..doesn't matter as I have an Asus version anyway :D

I just got my Thermaltake Duorb VGA cooler today and goddamn..it almost halved the temperature.

15. MileHighMilitia

GPU:
    All right sounds good you guys. My 4850 is supposed to be here tomorrow and ill probably leave stock cooling for a week or so to make sure there are no problems with the card. Then ill get the DuOrb, merely because you all gave it good reviews, and i know for a fact it fits.

Thanks