BSOD after topping up water?

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by dune2, Jun 24, 2008.

1. dune2

dune2 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    My Eheim Station 600 12v pump (submerged) was running out of coolant, so unplugged the power, opened it up and topped up the coolant (I use Alphacola). I turned the computer back on, left the pump to do its thing for a bit and then I screwed it back shut. The reservoir is now almost completely filled again.

Problem is, when I restarted Windows I was met repeatedly with a BSOD after no more than 10 minutes. First I thought the pump had stopped working, but it seems to vibrate. I am currently running Prime95 in Vista Safe Mode and the cpu waterblock is still cool enough to touch. The passive rads are becoming warm, so heat transfer does not seem to be the problem.

Is there anything I need to take into accout when flushing/topping up a submerged pump? Was it maybe too much fluid and the pump couldn't cope?

2. greaterthenjake

greaterthenjake Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800gts 320mb Sli648/1674/1836
    You may have a air bubble and the pump isnt working as it should. Can you see the coolant flow in the res? check and make sure you have good flow sounds like the cpu is gettin a bit warm and you are gettin bsods because of that whats the temp on your cpu before and after the refill

3. dune2

dune2 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Water-bubble sounds like a possibility. Temps are fine though, weirdly enough. I just ran through 15 minutes of Prime95 and the temps (at core) did not go beyond 60c. CPU cover temp was 45c.

It has also stopped BSODing, but I am still in Safe Mode. If I go back into normal Vista and it happens again, I suppose I can conclude that it is some sort of driver/software issue.

First BSOD in ages. Got me nervous, I suppose! :)

Cheers!

4. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Master Guru

GPU:
    Intergrated (for now)
    If it was just the 1 I wouldn't worry too much about it, it happens (for some people, alot). :)

5. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    i would look around for leaks,check all of your connections.you shouldnt need to top your res off more than once or twice a year if that.combined with bsods...i wouldnt take any chances.
    i had a koolance resevoir with submersed pumps.one of the barbs coming off of the res had a hairline crack(almost invisible).so it leaked a tiny bit everytime i shut my system down.after it broke completely and leaked all over the bottom of my case.i realized why i had been needing to refill once a month :(

6. Nagasaki

Nagasaki Banned

GPU:
    POV 9600GT 512MB DDR3
    have you tryed pressing F8 for the vista boot menu and using last known good config??

7. dune2

dune2 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    To be honest, I haven't topped up that loop for quite some time. At least 6 months since my last cleaning exercise. I have checked for leaks, pump running, etc. All that seems to be fine.

When I went back into regular Vista mode the BSOD appeared again. It showed a IRQL_NOT_LESS... error in the iaSor.sys. That driver is part of Intel's Matrix Storage driver for RAID systems. When the computer booted up after the first BSOD it checked the HDD and had to repair a host of files. So maybe that sys.file is just corrupted. Else my RAID is on the way out.

The problem does not seem to happen while in Safe Mode, so i guess Safe Mode does not load this set of drivers. Which makes me wonder if I need them at all??

8. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    It's probably worth checking to see if your RAID functions correctly under safe mode. If it doesn't, then it is clear that your assumption is probable (that the drivers do not get loaded).

If the RAID does function exactly as normal (indicating the drivers are loaded), then I am stumped.