How big is the universe?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by RandyB, Jun 20, 2008.

1. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    HIS HD4870/Samsung2343BWX
    I'd just like to point out that, here, on earth, we have our Physics and what we affectionately like to refer to as "Reality"
    To assume that our 'reality' is the only 'reality', IMO, is quite narrow minded and actually extremely arrogant; given that the rest of the Universe is a complete mystery. All we really know about it is that it's very BIG and it's filled with all sorts of MASSIVE amounts of energy from many different sources.
    How about this theory? (no arguing Theology - it's just a thought ;) )
    I think we can all just about agree that the Universe does NOT exist for NO reason - yes? So, how about, after our body dies - whatever is left; spirit, soul, consciousness, or whatever you want to call it gets its own little section of the Universe to enjoy - which would be the next 'reality'. ;)
    Are there any dead peeps on this forum who could possibly confirm this? :banana:
    Astro travel (let's just assume for a second that it is possible) would seem to be one of a few ways one could actually traverse the Universe, considering the vastness of space. A space vehicle, travelling at the speed of light, would take thousands of years to reach deep space - not even that deep!
    How many decibels would two stars colliding put out? Try to wrap your mind around that one! Fascinating stuff!!! :bigsmile:

2. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    Sounds reasonable to me. NOTHING is impossible!

3. googlegod

googlegod Member Guru

GPU:
    I Could Tell You But Then
    Most woman don't care how big it is ,They want to know how rich the universe is !
    Thats a joke ..

4. 3x3cUt0r

3x3cUt0r Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 Ti Gaming 6G
    Do you mind posting it a little big larger?, i can't see the earth.

5. googlegod

googlegod Member Guru

GPU:
    I Could Tell You But Then
    Man is not going no were. First someone has to find a way to travel faster than the speed of light and than many times faster.

6. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    i dont think we will ever reach anywhere near the speed of light. we are more likely to manipulate the universe using loopholes IE wormholes =-o or something of that nature.

7. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    I don't think the Universe necassarily has to exist for a reason...

Another key belief (probably the single most important one for the theory -_-) is that what we perceive as atoms and particles are actually just single points of a continuous string that exists through multiple dimensions of the multiverse. Because we only have 3 spatial dimenions, we see our part as a 3 dimensional manifestation.

I will admit, some of it is bat **** crazy, or at least it is at first glance. However, on closer inspection, and hopefully with something more than just theoretical evidence, we can produce some physical, emperical results and make some predicitions that are clearly observable. Maybe then it will gain ground, or be dismissed entirely.

Either way, using this theory suggests that, as mind-bogglingly big as our universe is, it has nothing on the multiverse. And, more interestingly, the only reason there would be boundaries to our universe is because nothing outside of it would be suitable for anything that has been created in it, and vice versa.

8. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    interesting discussions here :)

9. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    One of my teachers said that the universe is just a massive mathematical equation that's trying to balance itself. So in scientific terms: the entropy is getting higher.

10. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Surely the answer to that question is none, if it occurs in space then it's happening within a vacum ergo no sound.

11. glutto

glutto Master Guru

GPU:
    6650 XT 8GB
    Not really arguing, but the Universe could very well exist for no reason.

At the same time, I'm a rather simple bloke and my preferred answer to most things is "I dunno" even if I do.

"Why does the universe exist?"
    "I dunno."
    "Oh."
    "..but it is almost inconceivably huge. I'm gonna eat now." :)

12. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    Although arguably not a true vacuum (all space has some matter in it), that is absolutely correct.

13. Vbat

Vbat Member Guru

GPU:
    nVidia (changes)
    Can there be a better example, physically, in the universe, of a vacuum?

-V- (kinda wondering on this one)

14. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    It'd have to be a pretty big vacuum to clean up that huge mess! :banana:

15. Vbat

Vbat Member Guru

GPU:
    nVidia (changes)
    heheh...Entropy can be a pretty big mess on a universal scale, no?

-V- (has made a few messes)

16. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    Does anyone know how the "Big Crunch" is supposed to occur? Things don't shrink back by themselves. Unless the edge of the universe has surface tension or there is an outside force (?outside the universe?) pushing the universe back together.

Does it have something to do with gravitational pull of bodies of mass? If things fall into true entropy there should be no bodies of mass left. Everything should be heat which on expansion will eventually "cool" and fizzle out.

17. TheWalrus

TheWalrus Member Guru

GPU:
    Quadro FX 550
    I'm not sure if someone has already brought this up or not but...
    It really depends what you define as the universe. In String Theory(I believe it is now known as M-Theory) we occupy one universe but right next door to us is another universe; and another to it and so on and so forth. Now it doesn't change the size of our universe but it just feels funny, at least to me, to the call the thing we live in the universe. I mean I've always understand the universe to be all encompassing but in this view, we live in but one of infinitely many universes.

18. cette

cette Active Member

GPU:
    another theory, the multiverse was created as a theory to patch anomolies that ocuured when the universe was created that string thoery cannot explain. basically the physical properties that our uninverse has, has such a incredible balance that it could not happen ramdomly. multiverse is really saying ok with a infinite amount of universes at least one will have the right physical properties to sustain what we have.

19. TheWalrus

TheWalrus Member Guru

GPU:
    Quadro FX 550
    Are you arguing for or against String theory? Because I do believe there are an infinite amount of universes found in string theory as well

Edit: Never mind, my brain decided to stop working for a second. As far as I am concerned, String theory seems to be on the right track and is just plain cool

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  20. cette

cette Active Member

GPU:
    no one knows if there will even be a big crunch. but u got the idea there "something to do with gravitational pull of bodies of mass" and there's the reverse idea where everything is pretty much flying apart. I personally like the idea of the universe is running on some suped up wierd computer like thing.