Vista 64 Bit, Issues With SP1, WARNING FOR VISTA ULTIMATE 64 USERS

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by FuLLBLeeD, Jun 19, 2008.

1. FuLLBLeeD

FuLLBLeeD Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA nVidia 9800 GTX 512M
    Whenever I install service pack one for Vista 64 bit from Windows Update, when I reboot my machine, windows won't start and I get an error message saying a change has occurred and I need to check if my copy is genuine. Any ideas?

WARNING: As of know, installing SP1 on a Windows Ultimate 64 Edition will cause your system to not be able to start, at least to the best of my knowledge. Untill MS gets off their asses and fixes this don't update your computer. If you did, fix it by booting in safe mode and using system restore.

2. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5600XT
    No problems with it here, and I first installed SP1 back in April when it came out.

Sounds more like a problem on your end than a problem with SP1.

3. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    FuLLBLeeD

is you copy Genuine :p....

Mine has been fine....forever.

4. Jordus

Jordus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon X800 PRO / Stock
    I wouldnt tell people not to install an update because MS broke it, without any definitive evidence.

SP1 64bit has worked for thousands (if not millions) of other people so just because it doesnt work on yours doesnt mean its broke.

5. OrionRU

OrionRU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX (621/1512/2020)
    Installed SP1 on X64 ultimate without any issues.

6. fcabal_

fcabal_ Member Guru

GPU:
    NX8800GTX 768MB w/ Dell 2407WFP
    No problems here, check your windows lol :bang:

I installed Vista x64 SP1 on my Vista Ultimate and it rocks!!!!

7. Rochin

Rochin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 EE 1GB
    Sorry Vista basher, we are all fine here. Take your trash someplace else. Also actually get a legal version of windows.(Pirate Trash)

8. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Agreed

9. putty

putty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 4090
    heyhey hey ease up guys, he is just telling us all his experience with installing sp1 whats the problem with that?

my experience with service packs is dont install them, only get a cd with a clean install vista+sp1 in 1 package, its the best then you wont have any troubles:)

10. Morpheous416

Morpheous416 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Super OC 12GB
    Wow..... without even knowing any of the real specifics of this case, I see some of our members simply jump to a conclusion that this individual is a thief? I wish I had those super powers.. I could be the world's greatest judge and we could get rid of all the lawyers!! :D

Some of us that work with Vista for a living.. well, rather 'fixing' it for a living, know right off hand that SP1 is no godsend.. it has issues. Lots of them.

At first glance, seeing that this person has onboard sound, I'd start there. SP1 can cause issues with out-of-date drivers.

Keep in mind people.. we join forums to help each other out...and I can personally guarantee those of you calling others pirates, can be found guilty of the same thing.. it's all a matter of time.

11. FuLLBLeeD

FuLLBLeeD Member Guru

GPU:
    I DID NOT pirate it. I bought a legit version. Also I have been a fan of Vista for a long time. Its very discerning to see all of you jump to conclusions.

So, any real ideas?

12. MountainLynx

MountainLynx Guest

GPU:
    RX 570 8GB
    Also having worked with Vista SP1 for several months, I have yet to see any broken driver cause prompts that the install may not be genuine.

13. FuLLBLeeD

FuLLBLeeD Member Guru

GPU:
    I've posted this issue on the Microsoft support forums. It appears several other people are having this issue as well.

Quick question though: how do I check if I have SP1 installed? Is there a way I can manually install it?

14. MountainLynx

MountainLynx Guest

GPU:
    RX 570 8GB
    Hold the Windows key and tap Pause/Break. If you have SP1 installed, it should show up there. There's also a SP1 redistributable download on microsoft.com, in the download center. It will be the full 200+MB (IIRC) download, though.

15. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    reinstall vista fully, problem persists, buy a new pc.

16. Jordus

Jordus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon X800 PRO / Stock
    5XXMB for 32 bit and 700XX mb for 64 bit for the full redistributable. :banana:

17. FuLLBLeeD

FuLLBLeeD Member Guru

GPU:
    I didn't have SP1 installed. MS tech support guy on forums gave me several options to fix the problem, one of which includes a manual install of SP1. I don't understand why MS gets such a bad rap...I got a response within 5 minutes that fixed the problem.

18. darknight909

darknight909 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 2080
    Hardly a solution.

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2641112&SiteID=17

What I am reading online so far is that its driver issues

the only solution i can find is to re-install Vista then do the upgrade to SP1

but even then it might not work due to compatibilty issue i believe it is a know issue

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  19. FuLLBLeeD

FuLLBLeeD Member Guru

GPU:
    MS tech guy told me to boot into safe mode, uninstall the last update, and then manually install SP1. I'll try that tomorrow.

20. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    HIS HD4870/Samsung2343BWX
    Don't you mean "disconcerting"? :)
    Check first to see if 64bit supports all your hardware. Many others have had similar problems with SP1; although, the MS file that caused it was removed. Try DL'ing the SP1.