Increasing gpu and memory clock in HD3870 issue. :(

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by mike06303, Jun 20, 2008.

1. mike06303

mike06303 Member

GPU:
    ATI HD3870 512MB
    I have HD3870 512mb and I increase the gpu and memory clock with riva tuner to 880 and 1260 MHz from 775 and 1173 MHz that was the default one. By surprise I saw my performance in Crysis benchmark tool increase by only one(1) fps!!!! I ran the benchmark with res. 1680x1050 in high settings DX10 no AA. From 17fps to just only 18fps. Is it normal? Is the performance of my card normal or do I do something wrong?
    Thanx

2. Shnur

Shnur Member

GPU:
    Palit HD 3870 512MB OC 86
    You can't ask a card to perform twice as good just with overclocking.
    Crysis is actually sensitive to OC's (both from GPU and CPU) but the resolution you are playing on may not be the best to determin what performance gain you got, also, I see you're running the game in DX10 which is alot more demanding on the video card, so I guess that you may need a better overclock from your CPU also. Crysis is going to show you more improvements with your CPU OCd than with your card. Also, try running at lower setting to really see what performance you just got.

3. mike06303

mike06303 Member

GPU:
    ATI HD3870 512MB
    That's true about Crysis. I have the AMD Power Monitor as a software utility but I've never overclocked CPU again. In the software it has got a Novice overclocking utility which basically is a bar that goes from fast to faster in 10 different stages. I set that bar to stage 6 because it wont go more. In 7 stage the pc freezes. Is there a guide that may help me on how can I understand overclocking CPU and in which way I can overclock it? I know rather a lot about computers but unfortunately I haven't studied about CPU a lot.

4. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    give the AMD section a try Mike.im sure youll have no problems getting some help.