The cake is a lie: IE team bakes a treat for Mozilla

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Musouka, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Musouka

Musouka Master Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX970
    From Ars Techinca

By Ryan Paul | Published: June 17, 2008 - 07:14PM CT

In honor of today's Firefox 3 release, Microsoft's Internet Explorer team gave a cake to Mozilla. The tasty treat, which prominently displays IE's blue "e" icon, just arrived here at Mozilla headquarters in Mountain View.

The cake congratulates Mozilla on shipping Firefox 3 and expresses love from the IE team. Microsoft's IE developers also sent a cake to Mozilla in 2006 following the release of Firefox 2, so this is clearly becoming a tradition.

[​IMG]

Portal jokes aside, the cake is a very friendly gesture of goodwill. As we have noted recently, the Internet Explorer team could learn a lot from Mozilla. Closer cooperation between Microsoft and Mozilla on standards and web innovation would be a big win for everyone. But until Microsoft gets its act straightened out, Mozilla will be eating Internet Explorer's marketshare in addition to cake.

2. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    how about i get a cake for downloading it ?

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    You already can! Just right click the image and select Save image as... ;)

4. Musouka

Musouka Master Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX970

5. LukeV

LukeV Master Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek HD 4870
    That looks delicious :)

6. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    Haha. Nice to see people doing some friendly things once in a while, and not taking themselves too seriously.

7. Pzykotik

Pzykotik Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2070 AMP
    What portal joke...? It's a kinda funky idea though.

8. Andrés

Andrés Guest

That's an example of how a direct competitor can hang onto the other's success to promote itself. It's all a publicity stunt to keep "IE" in the people's mouths.

9. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    it's a cake for god's sake, if IBM wanted to send over a cake to us because we stole some of their clients (again), I'd eat it till theres none left!

10. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I would check the cake for poison if I were them. Or perhaps even hidden microphones!

11. Andrés

Andrés Guest

Of course it's a cake, it represents sweetness and innocence. Two aspects IE developers are rather known for the lack of them. Now one says "ohh, them IE developers, how sweet they are!" and in the meantime, unconsciously, he softens his opinion about IE itself. What's more, your competitor (Mozilla) does the publicity for you. It may be a brilliant publicity stunt, but it's publicity stunt anyway.

12. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Lmao the EVIL IE devs

Be careful andrés, M$ is out to kill your family !

13. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    hahahaha, that is really funny.

But seriously, I didn't eat breakfast and I really want cake now.

14. Andrés

Andrés Guest

Bueh... :3eyes:

Come on, I'm talking about a publicity move, where the heck did I talk about evil???. You sure can't respect an opinion or take it as such without stretching it to a ridiculous point, don't you?

15. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Not my fault John started it, this ain't columbia or an eastern european country it's USA

A compagny won't send a cake to another to POISON them, come on :3eyes:

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Both companies have been passing cakes for the past few releases. I highly doubt it's going to actually effect anyones opinion on which browser they will use.

17. Jordus

Jordus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon X800 PRO / Stock
    not that IE developers couldnt learn from Mozilla.

But arstechnica has the worst writers in the history of journalism....they are complete idiots.

I really hope they shut down and quit spewing their misinformed garbage.

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Uh, care to explain? I read the article on IE & Mozilla and I couldn't agree with it more. Also most of the jouranlists writing there are engineers in the field, there jouranlistic integrity may not be up to par with other sites, but they sure as hell know what they are talking about on the technical level.

19. Jordus

Jordus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon X800 PRO / Stock

No. They dont.

While this article is fine, and pretty much true. They are WAY off base on almost anything Microsoft related that they write. They are obvious MS bashers looking for nothing but foray into the mainstream, just as PCWorld has done.

They talk about componetizing of windows, which may very well be true. However the only evidence they can offer is that Server 2008 has server "roles", and that this is an obvious clue to new componentization technology. Maybe they forgot that server roles have been around since the NT days, and really all over Windows Server since Server 2000?

They also basically plagiarized by stating how MS can "fix" windows by doing a minuscule kernel and virtualization layers. I dont know who originally wrote it but i know i saw it weeks before on Gartner, who was also accused of ripping it off.

They really have taken knowledge, education, and reason out of the equation and are simply going for numbers. Perhaps they have lost their "soul" and roots like PCWorld did. PC World...which now can do nothing but post negative articles about Vista which are filled with so many fallacies and inconsistencies its not even funny.

EDIT: Taking a breif scan through their articles section warranted about 40 articles, ~20 of which had to do with Apple, ~11 of which had to do with totally random stuff, a couple graphics cards reviews and EVERY single MS articles was worded with negative connotation. "Several reasons why a modular windows will suck". In this article they give no real evidence of any of their claims, its all speculation and conjecture.

Funny that 98% of their hardware reviews are Apple products, and the other 2 % are video cards. No PC system reviews anywhere to be found.

Just another set of ridiculous, undereducated, illinformed apple fanboys.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  20. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Did Guru3D ever get a cake for something? ;)

Maybe we all should throw some money in a pot and get Hilbert one for the 280GTX reviews. ;)