My experience with overclocking RAM & 3DMark06 Scores

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by paulst560, Jun 18, 2008.

1. paulst560

paulst560 Member Guru

GPU:
    (2) BFG Tech Gforce 8800G
    From my experience, don't waste your time trying to get 1000mhz out of your DDR2 800. 3D Mark scores, effected very little and instablility is a problem and can really mess up your system. Instead, set your optimal timings to go to 1T instead of 2T in your manual memory timing settings. Comparison between the two. Gained less than 100 points by going to 1000mhz. Gained 400 3D Marks by getting 1T to work. My Crucial Ballistix did the job rather nicely. My timings are 4-4-4-12 1T and runs stable in memtest86. My windows based score also improved the greatest. Was 5.4 at 1000mhz and went to 5.6 with the 1T setting. My FSB dictated that my memory be set at 806.2mhz and is stable. Make sure that your memory is set to asynchronous. Mine is accomplised by setting the memory to unlinked and can punch in whatever speed I want to go for. On my evga board, it displays the accutal memory speed below where you enter your speed settings. To get atleast 800, I had to go to 806. It was at 793, before. I am now running my Q6700 at 3.530 and is stable with voltages on auto. Exception, is that my memory voltage was adjusted manually to 2.2volts. Have had no errors on any programs that I test my memory with. Longest test I have performed was a 24hr period, so far, so good. Hope this helps everyone get and idea on how to truly optimize your memory performance, I have learned bunches through the whole experience. I had my memory overclocked as far as 5-6-6-24 2T at 1033mhz and still crappy performance results and crashes. Good luck everyone.

O'h incase you are wondering, at 1000mhz 3D Mark06 score 16,482. On 1T settings hit 16,982. Highest I have achieved was 17,392 with cpu at 3.690mhz, was not stable enough for everyday computing and gaming.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  2. pinguim

pinguim Guest

GPU:
    GTX 285
    Thanks for the info, very useful!
    Just need to know one more thing, do you have 4x1gb or 2x2gb? Because with my board i can't get 1T with 4x1gb.

3. paulst560

paulst560 Member Guru

GPU:
    I have 4 1gig sticks, just set your timings to 5-5-5-15 1T try it. Then go to 5-5-5-18 and give it another shot, should work, unless your memory just cant handle it. I highly reccomend my Crucial Ballistix, not expensive and works well. It is DDR2 800, set at 2.2volts.

4. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    am how about with Corsair dominator ddr2 8500 i have current timinigs at 5-5-5-15 2T @1066 will it work at 1T? i didn't try it yet, i don't want to clear comos lol :D, has anybody tested it with this ram?

5. pinguim

pinguim Guest

GPU:
    GTX 285
    I have tried 4-4-4-12 1T and didn't work when i use 4Gb. With 2Gb it works at 1T.

Maybe I'll try using 2.2V...

Uping the timings to 5-5-5-18 1T isn't worst than 4-4-4-12 2T??

6. OCZ

OCZ Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 570
    You got 1T with 4 sticks/GBs ?
    CPUz verification ?

Also, don't get me wrong, but that's kinda enormous points jump for just setting your RAM..

7. paulst560

paulst560 Member Guru

GPU:
    I did not think that it would make that much of a difference and was suprised to see the improvement. Since I had the jump in my windows vista index score from 5.4 to 5.6 by doing my mods, I have noticed a considerable difference in my games. Was good before, now is really awesome. Had to turn mouse sensitivity down in call of duty 4, things moved alot faster when I would pan right and left. Still can't get 3d Marks above 17,000 without getting system unstable. I have overclocked my CPU to 3.540ghz. High as my Q6700 will go for now. I was also suprised to see that overclocking my gpu's made less of a difference in 3D Mark, than did adjusting my memory. My gpu's are factory overclocked, so I could not get a whole lot more out of them, before abberations in screen appeared. You never know, I do know for a fact that going to 1T has deffinately improved my performance. It is worth trying if your memory will do it.

8. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    those cellshocks are badass modules.if you run them at 2.2v i wouldnt be surpirised to see you run excellent timings with them(3-3-3-9 or lower).id suggest a memory cooler as those ics run very hot(not good)with your mb just make sure you run your memory linked and synched and you should have no problem hitting 800-900+ 1t with solid timings.

lower is always better with your timings.just keep in mind the difference will only be synthetic for the most part(benchmarks).

running 1t with 4x1gb isnt surprising tbh.my max stable at 1t with 4x1gb ballistix 1000 was 945 5-5-5-15.the strength of nv chipsets are the plethora of possibilities with timings/linking/synching/dif dividers etc...once you have the chipset figured out it is alot of run to test memory with.

9. pinguim

pinguim Guest

GPU:
    GTX 285
    From what I've read (and experienced) I got the idea my mb doesn't do 4Gb at 1T. I'll give it another shot this weekend, and if I don't succeed I'll remove 2Gb, I don't thing I'm needing all 4Gb right now. Then I'll try to lower timings.

What voltage do you think I can use with these modules without burning them to a crisp? Assuming I have good air circulation on my case? For now with 900MHz 4-4-4-12 2T 4 Gb I have them at 2.1V. They're specced 2.0-2.2V.

10. paulst560

paulst560 Member Guru

GPU:
    One last change.

I am still running 4-4-4-12 1T timings and changed my memory speed to 862mhz. My windows index score went from 5.6 to 5.7 and 3D Marks went up to 17,025 with no CPU modifications. Memory change is responsable for breaking 17,000. Will play around with 3-3-3-9 timings on 1T an 2T and see if my performance gets any better. Will update if it works.

11. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    i wouldnt go any higher than 2.2v for regular use.anything more than that you will want it to be quick and dirty,pi runs etc...youll want active cooling either way tho.solid case cooling isnt enough.d9s will burn up if you dont keep them chilly,literally.
    play around with it,see what works best for you and your rig.