Are you "addicted" to Video Games?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by gureisya, Jun 13, 2008.

1. gureisya

gureisya New Member

Are you addicted to Video Games? – The Nera Perspective

Oh i believe that only drugs can make ppl really addicted, what video game to me is my love. However, there are actully more and more saying hold "addiction" towards video game specially after MMO came out.

2. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    i don't consider myself addicted to video games, why?:

first i don't play mmo's, i don't like the fact that a game doesn't have an ending
    second i don't like all the games on the market
    and third i get bored after a couple of hours of playing(doesn't matter what game i'm playing, and how much i like the game)

i could say i'm addicted to driving, i'll drive non-stop if i have a full tank of gas.. :D

3. The_AC

The_AC Guest

GPU:
    R9 390X
    It isn't someone's fault if he has an addiction, but it is his fault if he has a bad habit. Liking video games is called "an addiction" for the same reason consistantly choosing to throw up after eating is called a mental disorder, it makes the people who do it feel better.

Ironically, the negative side of mislabeling choices as mental disorders is that people don't feel as if they can change (since bad habits can be changed, but disorders can't be changed). This leads to more of them dying now than used to die from it several years ago.

But at least the "victims" feel like nothing is their fault, and the drug companies make money! :banana:

4. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    Do you get chills, shakes & begin to hallucinate if you stop playing video games? Granted I once saw giblets flying through the air at church after a two day long RoTT marathon, I'm not sure if I was awake or not though.

Video games, eating, light drug usage (weed, beer, etc) can mask nervous disorders. If I encountered an individual experiencing actual withdrawal symptoms due to videogames I'd think it more likely that the individual had an anxiety problem. The return of anxiety as one gets back to reality can approximate withdrawal symptoms.

5. stromchin

stromchin Master Guru

GPU:
    7900GTX
    I consider myself more addicted to the internet than to videogames.
    Addicted because I waste too much time on them, but if i'm busy with other things or out with friends I don't feel a need to be in front of my computer. So maybe I'm not really addicted. If i were with my girlfriend traveling around the world for example I don't think I would miss my PC at all.

6. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    I used to be addicted, but not anymore. I not sure why, but I just get really bored if I play over two hours. So addicted? No! A Habit? Yes!

7. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    i luv video games :D im a real mmo addict, as WoW, and im looking forward to Aion: Tower of Eternity :p

8. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    I'm addicted, I skip sleep to get game, my social life definitly suffers from too much oh wait ... Ventrilo is considered as ''social'' since I'm talking to HUMANS and having conversations over anything

9. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I don't think you can be addicted to video games. Unless you play a different game everyday for more than half of the day. Now I do think you can be addicted to a video game or two, but not all video games in general. I'd say I'm kind of addicted to Oblivion, I could be completely bored of it but still play it and find it fun.

10. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    no more than I'm addicted to blunts..

uh oh..

11. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    I wrote a short piece on this a while back, my conclusion was that it's possible, but only for badly raised kids.

And to stop, just take them off the damn pc.

12. attila_gorilla

attila_gorilla Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility HD 5730
    Yeah I think it is possible too. I think it becomes an addiction if it`s a form of escape from real life, rather than just another activity as part of real life. I used to be kind of addicted to many things when I hated going to uni and later when I hated my first couple of jobs, so I used things like video games and internet chatting as an escape from the boredom of daily life.

But now it`s much different, I`ve made the necessary changes to enjoy my real life, and games are just another part of it. I spend more time on forums than playing games, nowadays.

13. RaoulDuke4413

RaoulDuke4413 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 280 3gb
    I can quit anytime I want! *scratches forearms*

14. racofer

racofer Guest

GPU:
    HD6950 2GB Twin Frozr III
    Same, I know when I have to stop and do it only because I have nothing else better to do.

:rolleyes:

15. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Since thursday (Metal Gear Solid 4), Yes, I'm addicted to games.

16. FritzC6

FritzC6 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GT 512mb alpha dog
    my gaming has slowed to a crawl ....

school days i gamed daily , now i only play in the weekend

internet movies & music has taken over

i still keep up to date offcourse & spend much cash on hardware :)

i guess you can say i'm addicted because i haven't stopped playing @ 23 y :) and looking at all these old farts ;)here i think i'm gonna be gaming for a long time

17. anticitizen013

anticitizen013 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x R9 280X CrossFire
    When on leave from the military the first thing I do is play some games.

...so yes. I suppose I am. I enjoy both the digital life and real life. Both in moderation ;)

18. Luvabud

Luvabud Guest

GPU:
    1060 6GB
    lol

I have my eight hour marathons but I don't consider myself addicted, I usally pass out about then, about 2am because I smoke more when I play, especially driving games.

19. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    not addicted at all even though i'm a big time gamer, i am addicted to the internet though i admit that (i'm not talking multiplayer gaming) just general internet like browsing, chat, download or whatever, i'd rather eat a cockroach than live a day without the net.. 12 hours without the internet are enough to make me go on a killing spree, it sucks but that's how it is.

20. blue5

blue5 Banned

GPU:
    evga 9800GTX (685/1115)
    Yeah: I definitely agree. Without net, it is torture.