Installing WinXP has never been this hard...

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by QuadCannons, Jun 10, 2008.

1. QuadCannons

QuadCannons Guest

GPU:
    GeForce 210
    I'm trying to install XP w/SP2 on an older system. It's an MSI-7071 motherboard with a Celeron 2.4Ghz, socket 468, DDR memory.

Apparently the thing has SATA ports and the hard drive is a SATA drive, but they're not drivers natively provided by XP.
    So XP can't "see" the hard drive and during installation says there's no HD found in the system.

Is there any way around this?
    Can I put in an IDE disk, install XP on that, then copy everything in that disk over to the SATA and hope it'll work?

2. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    floppy disk with JMicron drivers or whatever drivers for the SATA controller on the mobo, on install it'll ask for alternate drivers. Im guessing its Sata2? you can install it usually on SATA1 but youll not be able to switch it again after its installed( maybe not though it could have some weird controller )

Its a pain in the ass, my older rig doesnt have a floppy and i gave up and just installed Vista on it( didnt have the patience as the reason i had to reinstall was BSODs from install of new gfx card )

3. Ant

Ant Don Michael Corleone

GPU:
    2 x Inno3D 9600GT 512MB
    Fraid so... this is a floppy moment. The sata drivers need to be loaded on the first part of the xp install. There are some sites out there that show you how to build the drivers into an xp install, but its a lot of effort.
    Your mobo is a PM8M2-V:
    http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=pm8m2-v
    You can find the sata drivers here:
    http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=downloaddetail&type=driver&maincat_no=1&prod_no=180#
    or here for xp(32bit):
    http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=driverfile&dno=2400&i=0

Just download, put on a floppy and ensure you hit f8 to load other device drivers on start.

4. Andrés

Andrés Guest

Excellent info, but I must amend that: it's F6, not F8.

5. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    just some extra info, apparently copying them to the root of a CD will also work as will using a USB stick with a floppy partition and setting it as the main floppy drive in bios

6. Belz

Belz Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD5870 1GB
    I didnt know that. Thnx for making my life easier in some future Windows install

(i usually add the drivers using nLite to my CD, but its a annoying process)

7. Ant

Ant Don Michael Corleone

GPU:
    2 x Inno3D 9600GT 512MB
    Every day is a school day!

Thanks man, didnt figure that one out. Its been a while since an XP rebuild.

Oh.. F8/F6. It was a complete guess! Thanks for the edit ;)

How are you getting on Quad??

8. QuadCannons

QuadCannons Guest

GPU:
    GeForce 210
    We're going through an extreme heat wave here (NYC) and I didn't want to turn the comp on at all today.
    My room is small and I might die from heatstroke.
    Thanks for all the detailed info Ant, will let you know soon as I get it done :)

That CD root and USB/floppy suggestion is also quite useful. Can it be used for anything else? Like flashing a new BIOS into a videocard?:D

9. Ant

Ant Don Michael Corleone

GPU:
    2 x Inno3D 9600GT 512MB
    Yeah... same over this side of the pond. Hope the install goes well man.

10. opozoid25

opozoid25 Member Guru

GPU:
    2x BFG GTX 285 OC SLI
    Yep! Just go here and download the HP tool, and follow the link for Windows 98 boot files. Even thought it is an HP tool, it works with any drive. Next, format your flash drive and select "Create a DOS startup disk" and point the source to the Windows 98 boot files you just downloaded. Now you have a bootable flash drive that looks just like a floppy and brings you right to DOS. You can flash motherboard and video card BIOS, and anything else which can be done in DOS. :cheers:

11. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Generally XP hated having drivers on USB drives, Win2k3 server hated it as well.

Hell, even Vista I installed on one computer didn't like it that way and it refused to install the drivers off it, go put the exact same ones on a floppy drive, worked like a charm.

But yea, as everyone else has said, get the drivers off the motherboard site, whack them onto a floppy disk, F6 when you're starting XP to load 3rd party drivers.

12. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    yeah nyc is scorching, i work 4 blocks from pennstation.. if its not the heat, its the construction on west 37th

13. QuadCannons

QuadCannons Guest

GPU:
    GeForce 210
    I followed the directions for formatting my flashdrive, but to no avail. In the end I still had to do it with a floppy disk.

I pressed F6 and when it asked me for drivers later on it didn't detect the ones on the USB, but when I inserted a floppy disk with the files on it, they were detected.

The flashdrive is just identified as a USB-HDD in the BIOS. After formatting it as a DOS startup disk there's no files at all on the drive, so I copied over all the files from the Win98boot folder, after which it'll bring me through a Win98 logo screen and then drop me in DOS.
    Is that how this thing is supposed to work?

14. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    here a Q does ur bios support IDE Mode for you sata controller if so enable that makes life easy as hell

15. QuadCannons

QuadCannons Guest

GPU:
    GeForce 210
    Nope, already tried that :)
    In the end it all worked out with a floppy containing the drivers on it. But I'm just wondering if I didn't do the USB flashdrive thing right, or if it has its limitations compared to a real floppy.

16. Satan

Satan Guest

GPU:
    some
    Yep this has happened to me before, I'm sorry I can't find the drivers but I'm letting you know that it's possible as I've been through it before XD

17. Jordus

Jordus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon X800 PRO / Stock
    god bless Vista and Server 08 for preferring UFD over floppies.

18. QuadCannons

QuadCannons Guest

GPU:
    GeForce 210
    Yeah but Vista's plagued with a myriad of other issues:(

Are you running Vista on that system in your sig??

19. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    I've had XP, Win2k3, Vista and Win2k8 all have issues with using drivers off a USB drive.

God bless, ha, more like kiss my ass.

20. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    Weird, i could load my SATA2 drivers from an USB drive just fine and the best this is is that in Vista, you can browse, so you could also insert a cd-rom containing the drivers or a drivers partition on your harddrive.

As for floppy's? I still always build in a floppy drive when building a new rig (for anyone). It always proves to come in handy when needed.