*very* slow 8800 GTX.. 3311 in 3dmark06

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by souleh, Jun 7, 2008.

1. souleh

souleh New Member

I might try taking the PSU back for a replacement, but I expect it's probably fine. It's a decent-ish one (£100/$200), not bought long ago. I also run it in 'Turbo' mode, so it combines the rails to pump out more current.

Also, I know my CPU and memory are bottlenecks, but still - I should be getting "slightly" better performance than I am. AoC in XP with no AA etc.. I struggle for more than about 15-20 fps if there's much going on at all- and it'll drop to 5-8 if it's a "busy" scene!

That's possibly down to the chipset drivers; with XP, Supermicro provide "official" motherboard drivers. Under vista, I have to get them from Intel. While they do exist - and all seemed to work fine - they were generic E7525 ones. Could that be the issue?

Many thanks for all your input and feedback guys!

I think I need to reconcile myself to the fact that other than the graphics card, PSU and a few other bits.. this system *was* built in 2003. Time to put a new motherboard, cpu and a few gigs of memory on the old credit card methinks!! :)

And on that note, anyone in the market for a rather sexy (and very heavy!) Coolermaster ATCS-310?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  2. Fahim

Fahim Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX RADEON HD 5850 1GB Bl
    Hi,

Your CPU could be a bottleneck, And the PSU is very good, only other problem i can think of is the memory. They don't have enough bandwidth, and on top of that they are ECC. They are very stable, and they are very slow because they check everything for error.

3. clintonius

clintonius Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GT 512
    Have you tried sticking the card in another system to see if it's the culprit? It sounds to me like the card simply isn't performing at the level it should. If you're able to test it in another system, that will help confirm or disconfirm that hypothesis.

4. Monkey5900

Monkey5900 Master Guru

GPU:
    Connect3d X1800XT 256MB @ Stock
    With XP running you can be pretty much sure those scores are okay for DD400 RAM and a p4/xeon. It's not the newest hardware around, and will massively bottleneck your 8800GTX.

As for Vista, as you've already discovered it may be driver related. Having said that, people have overlooked the fact that you're running everything on a "Supermicro X6DA8-G2". This is a server board, not a performance/enthusiast board. These things arent designed for games! You could try flashing that! I'd put my money on that being your problem.

There's also the obvious, update drivers for everything. Make sure you get them straight from the website manufacturer, not from Windows update, some of them are generic.

Monkey

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008