Are consoles pointless with all the PC ports?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by ElDiablo2K3, Jun 6, 2008.

1. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    No! Call it sarcasm.

2. DrSiN

DrSiN Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 Ti OC 1G
    Get a console and keep your PC. The consoles are less than a decent graphics card these days and if you can afford to keep your PC upto date and buy games for two platforms go for it.

Console gaming is an entirely different experience to PC gaming.

3. ElDiablo2K3

ElDiablo2K3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTX 295
    Lol, OK.

4. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Some console games should stay console. Like Gears of War. GOW on PC feels really odd, and to me it feels really stupid if that makes sense.

But there are other console games that are staying console. Like Killzone2, MGS4, for now Halo 3, and the mario and Zelda games. :D

5. eRa`

eRa` Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 570
    It's funny to see an actual 'Consoles are going to die!!!1111' thread, more please.

6. Sprecker

Sprecker Guest

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    And it was pointed out in the other thread and any other thread that was a PC vs Console thread. At least 1 person says a console is pointless because every game that comes out for a console is ported to PC. YES. EVERY THREAD. Search results for "ported to PC". There sure is alot of pages that came up there.
    I am not baiting this thread any more than you are. This is a disscussion and as with every disscussion there will be points that you won't agree with. My comment was just a point about the disscussion and how it really isn't anything that hasn't been covered a dozen or more times over. You can give the title any name you want but when the question asked forces the reader to make a remark either for or against either PC or Console than it is a PC vs Console thread and that horse has been beeten over and over and over and over and over and over. Etc. etc.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  7. Wendig0

Wendig0 Master Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor PCS+ AXR9 290X
    I kinda wished I hadn't bought my xbox 360 because of my uber pc and the games I can play on it. But console games are fun to play once in a while.

8. Retrolock

Retrolock Guest

GPU:
    G1 Gaming GTX 970
    Console games on my 360 have cut my PC gaming in half.

Oh well, just get a console for the exclusives and always get the PC version if it goes multiplatform if it is ported well. But don't become an achievement whore or you'll forsake your social life as you know it.

9. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    all about the money..if have enough money , no reason for u to buy both ps3 and xbox360 for exclusive products..ihave a PS3 and when they start to sell offical xbox360 products here.iam gonna buy it..damn unoffical hacked versions r only on market...

10. charliehamster

charliehamster Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX-1070

I`m totally in agreement with you, most console games just don`t feel right on a pc.

11. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Some just don't really belong. Really, one of the few games that I think should have been on a PC first, Lost planet, Halo 1, and Burnout. And one that will never hit PCs which I wish would, Unreal championship 2. It's not a rebranded 2003 like UC1 was. Halo 2 shouldn't have hit PC, terrible.

12. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    What the fock? Weird? It played just like Max Payne if you don't take cover system into account :|

13. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Gears of War may not "feel" right, but Unreal 3 is a pc exclusive (supposedly) and it doesn't feel like it belongs on PC either lol

There are lots of games that are ported to PC that play fine and feel like they belong.. maybe some dont, but certainly not "most". For instance,

Lost Planet
    Mass Effect
    Resident Evil 4
    GTA series

Just to name a few.. the above games play famously on my machine, so I dunno that your comments make much sense to me

14. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    It's not performance me and him are talking about.(I'm not anyways) Generally, just how the game feels on a keyboard and mouse versus it's original setup a controller. Like I said before, if it makes sense to you by the way I'm saying it, GOW on PC just feels stupid.

15. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    ^ no I gotcha :) I played about 15 minutes worth of Gears and decided that it wasn't really.. well, I dunno how to classify it. It wasn't bad, but it was just kinda.. all glitz and nothing else. Looks great, but plays kinda odd, and doesn't feel right at all. Unfortunate too since Lost Planet, for example, TPS, looks just as good as far as I'm concerned, and plays totally kickass on PC..

16. Alaric Kell

Alaric Kell Member Guru

GPU:
    BFGTech GTX 280 OC-2
    Ok, now that I'm fully online without problems (blasted Vista), I'm switching gears back to talkin' bout PC gaming...

This whole topic is a classic argument:
    Do you want segregated PC and Console gaming?

My answer, is, was, and always will be: YES!

Why? Simple. NONE of the new consoles can equal today's multi-core/gpu PC's. Not only THAT, but more importantly: Most PC games can easily be modded, while console games cannot be.

As long as M$ continues trying to shove unified drivers and OS software down the entire PC industry's throats, things won't get any better for consoles *OR* PC's.

Now we have people charging at least $10 more for new games, and most of them aren't worth $10, much less $60+.

****, I'd mod-chip the f*ck out of any console I had, just to play rented games. After spending my entire life doing gaming of one sort or another (26 years and still going), I don't think it's a lot to ask, for M$ to stop trying to pseudo-control everything.

I mean, Vista itself is yet another half-baked attempt to force everyone to either run their PC's the way M$ thinks PC's should be run, or else be left behind in terms of future-proofing (never minding that hardware has little to do with OS software).

I don't have any real problems with consoles (despite them trying too hard to match PC's in performance, and always failing), but where I draw the line, is where M$ tries to make ALL games be multi-platform, where it's just not practical to do it.

I would *NEVER* do any shooter without a keyboard/mouse. Period. You'd have to take multiple 50 caliber guns to me before I'd submit to that.

Nor would I try to run a flight simulator (note, simulator, not arcade-style shooters like the various utter failures like Star Wars Battlefront or the console-based Rogue Squad games), on a console. If I don't have my Force Feedback 2 stick, I won't fly it.

Call me an old-fashioned relic, I don't give a f*ck. There are some lines which should NOT be crossed.

Multi-platform (meaning having third-rate console ports to PC) gaming is just not practical for sooooo many reasons.

Once in a LOOOONG while, you might get something with the quality of Assassin's Creed. Sure, that port has it's problems, but I've never noticed anything truly upsetting myself...Plus I like the control methods, it's not uber-dumbed-down, but it's also complicated enough to allow you to come up with endless variations of how to do almost anything in the game (thus increasing replay value and keeping my digitally-addicted manic mind focused on the game)...

Asides from THAT, the *ONLY* PC-to-console game (speaking on the vice-versa to above), that I've ever seen, that has worked (to some extent), is TES4 Oblivion.

Of course, TES4 sucks, swallows, cums, and chokes to death on a console, especially when you consider that there are over 7TB's worth of mods online now for that game. If you know how to mod yourself, you'll just re-script all those mini-mods that do nice things, and make a single mod out of hundreds of smaller mods, of course, you have to be a scripting/coding maniac to do it, but I've made my point...

If you keep your mod-list to 250 or lower, TES4 tends to run fine...Just in the first year after TES4 went retail, I had over 750 mods, and had to manually re-script everything so that ESP's would not be bouncing off one another endlessly...

Anyhow, if you want to know about multi-platform games that could have been legendary successes, but ended up being utter failures...Well, Path of Neo would have been awesome (almost on the level of Assassin's Creed awesome), but because they tossed around the code and did not clean it the hell up even after two patches, that PC port failed when it could have been great. I did not personally have too many problems on the technical level, but I did notice various display corruption issues and how easily various models would clip into other models without actually hitting...Someone did not properly script the hitzones of the models...

The list will go on for 20 pages, if I were interested, but even I'm not crazy enough to catalog every single failed console-to-PC port ever made...;)

17. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Dual UV
    *eats popcorn*
    And yet another one o those PC/console topics hehe
    Anyone want some popcorn?

18. ElDiablo2K3

ElDiablo2K3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTX 295
    It wasn't meant to be a PC v Console thead...

All I'm was trying to say was I'm not sure I can justify getting a PS3 when most of the best games on it are available on PC now...

I suppose the Blu-Ray is the only pull for me at the moment for the reasons Alaric Kell posted above.

19. reno_skychaser

reno_skychaser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 6600 XT
    Blu-Ray and exclusives make the PS3 one of the strongest console options, just not the large-expenditure-all-at-once strongest.

Theres not a single component in my PC that cost me more than around $250, and it certainly wasn't all bought at once. PC's vs consoles can come down to detailed performance analysis, or simple spending habits.

20. damage_undone

damage_undone Member

GPU:
    -
    Unless you're a hermit with no friends who sits in his dungeon playing games and posting on his blog all day, then it'd be a good idea to have a console considering you can't play 2 player games on your pc unless you set up a lan and have people over.

Plus nothing beats gaming on a big screen in HD AND personally I have a lot of friends from work who arn't into pc gaming and only have a console so it's great to be able to play online with them too.

I actually have friends on the 360 and PSN Network which is cool.