Which Processor? E8400 vs Q6600

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Orlandoech, May 24, 2008.

1. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    shut the **** up im getting sick off you

2. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Since your gonna be doing editing and lots of muiti tasking, then the quad would be the best choice for your work. And It will still do great in gaming if you do any.

3. Jacklking

Jacklking Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800gt
    I can't believe some of you guys say the 8400 is way faster....even both at stock settings there is only a small difference in framerates that the 8400 beats the 6600 in games.....the 6600 is an outstanding chip

4. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    Such language is not tolerated on the Guru3D forums, as far as I know. It's not appropriate - there are minors using this board as well!

And jack: For CPU dependant games, the E8400 is more than just marginally better. Just not for the stuff the OP uses his computer for.

Last edited: May 25, 2008

5. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Of course its not tolerated, lol.

Kylzer, seriously though, honestly, read the OP's post before making a reply and then give a reply based on the info he wants, if you dont know anything the OP's wants to know then dont reply to the topic with false or confusing info ;) or at least know something of what you're talking about instead of a cut and paste job from someone else without understanding what it means :p

6. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    yeh your rite we should not give abuse while trying to help some1 :bunch:

7. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Count me out of that "we", please.

I'm interested if the OP has made a decision yet? The Q6600 will do even more nicely if you throw in a few more bucks for a better CPU cooler like the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro... Then you can overclock to 3GHz+ with no worries whatsoever :)

8. warrior

warrior Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 295GTX 1792
    I have the E6600 as well as the Q6600, I do lots of Video editing (Vegas 8, Pinnacle Ultimate ect...), the Q6600 blows the E6600 away in this regard, I am now working with HD camcorder material in the AVCHD format that is very demanding on the current processors, The Quad handles it very easily...for your work I would go Quadcore, you won't regret it.....

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  9. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    The Q6600 pisses all over rendered info, and the Arctic Freezer 7 Pro, well, look at my overclock with a B3 Q6600, very very respectable. Thats the definition of bang per buck, a very under rated cooler indeed.

10. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    lol dual core, alot less headache to deal with.

11. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Indeed. I wouldn't take it for gaming though, but as the OP doesn't need that, I can only say "meh".

I'm getting the AC Freezer 7 Pro for my upcoming E3110 aswell (Xeon counterpart to E8400). I was wondering if it's more quiet than the stock cooler? And how are the pushpins? I hope they don't break as easily as mine did on my stock Intel cooler.

Warrior: There's a Vegas 8?
    I still have Vegas 6, thought there hadn't been a new one since. Any noticeable changes? :)

12. Jacklking

Jacklking Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800gt
    The naked eye can't see the difference between the 2....that's all that counts.....I was going to get the 8400 myself...but I went the other way because of longevity......I don't think I have to build another computer for a long while.....only change out the video card once in a while

13. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    They're the same unfortunately, but its best to take the mobo out of the case to fit them just so you dont accidently damage the pins.

I run mine at 100% speed constant so i do get noise, however its not too loud, but letting the fan be controlled by PWM makes it inaudible really, i cant really hear it when its controlled by PWM, just blends in with the rest of the system/

14. warrior

warrior Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 295GTX 1792
  15. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Hey Peezee, back off!
    And Kylzer .. take a chill pill man.

Don't waste our time with this nonsense. You two stay away from each other otherwise you just know where it ends. Bitching, whining, trolling and inevitably we then must ban users etc etc.

Guys, back away from each other okay ?

16. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    yeh wise words

17. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Actually an overclocked E8400 has been proven to be faster than a Q6600 in most tests and games. But if you do photoshop and modelling of some sort then go Quad.