Global warming question

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by mike41, May 23, 2008.

1. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    Apparently, that specific property of ice (expands as it freezes), means that the oceans of the world will NEVER be all ice, no matter how cold it gets. The pressure at the bottom of the oceans would mean that there was always some ice that could not freeze, as that would require expanding, which would be impossible at those pressures.

Well, that's what I leant in AS Level Chemistry at least >_>

2. mcBu113t

mcBu113t Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GTX @635/1540/1060
    ice is less dense than water and actually contracts when it changes phase into water. also water does not expand significantly when heated until it evaporates

and regardless of whether you beleive in global warming or not, the steps taken to avert it are good for the earth and everyone regardless

3. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    But you are a relatively small country and affluent! Low lying third world countries may be totally devastated! They don't have the money, resources, know-how or infrastructure to cope and their low lying areas are simply massive!

I wonder how much us western countries will help, not enough I think!

4. clintonius

clintonius Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GT 512
    Excellent point, Hall. The annual flooding deaths in southeast Asia are a decent indicator of what could happen if the seas rise any significant amount.

5. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    The west shouldn't help, weve got our own poor and sick to take care of which we graciously ignore.

6. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    Ice melting will not raise sea level? The ice on antarctica and greenland isn't floating...

7. skypapa

skypapa Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 5850
  8. DaddyD302

DaddyD302 Guest

GPU:
    Aorus Master 4090

Well let me ask you this, was there cars, planes, and so many other man made objects around a few million years ago when this happen? No other animal can change the earth as fast as humans can in a few hundred years. We humans have a huge impact on how the planet is changing. For better or worse, we are a huge part of it, wither we all agree on global warming or not, you or anyone else cannot deny we humans are playing a huge part in it changing. How good or bad that change is, we won't know for a while, maybe in a few hundred years, or even thousands from now?

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  9. Nemes1s

Nemes1s Master Guru

GPU:
    2x560Ti SLI ASUS + EVGA
    Apparently Africa will be the last continent left on earth if there were to be a massive world flood. . .

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  10. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    If I recall correctly, that only applies if the ice chunk would be fully submerged.

11. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

No there were not :)

I don't disagree with the fact that we are making an impact just not to the scale many people suggest, as stated, unless there is sufficient evidence to the contrary I do not intend to change my views.

12. Ghz

Ghz Maha Guru

GPU:
    evga 6800ultra 256mb
  13. blue5

blue5 Banned

GPU:
    evga 9800GTX (685/1115)
    Reading and research might help.

14. Spiel

Spiel Banned

GPU:
    BFG 9800GX2
    I think about this everyday at some point.

1st Time in my lifetime....

It's ALMOST JUNE IN CHICAGO we are way below average temps! It's JUNE almost and its in low 40's/50's

We had an Earthquakes in IL this year.

China had massive earthquake

We have floods killing people all over the world.

The death toll this year due to EARTH changing events is ridiculous. I fear not in my LIFETIME....maybe my kids or my kids--->kids The earth will go in state of chaos due to unforeseen events.

15. clintonius

clintonius Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GT 512
    Luckily I'll be carried away through the clouds in arms of JEEEZUS while everyone else deals with the anemic frog plague, or whatever the hell it is.

16. Spiel

Spiel Banned

GPU:
    BFG 9800GX2
    lol---:banana:

17. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    I would just like to add that 60 minutes (I think it was 60 minutes?) did a story interviewing some people from NASA that quit because the government would not let them post facts regarding the melting polar ice caps.

This one scientist from NASA stated that every time a report was written, it had to be reviewed by a government offical before it could be published. She said she wrote an article describing how fast the ice caps were melting, and the government offical handed it back to her and said, "This is not news", refusing to publish it.

There were several other head officals in NASA who stated that the government edited documents before they were released to the public.

I don't care if you believe in global warming or not, but I don't know how people disagree with the claim that the global ice caps are melting when scientists are doing research on them and are observing them melting. Whether the melting is caused by global warming or not, it is still a huge problem!

18. Spiel

Spiel Banned

GPU:
    BFG 9800GX2
    agreedd!