AGP Upgrade advice for Fx-60

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Diernes, May 23, 2008.

1. Diernes

Diernes Member Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 780 3gb SLI
    AGP Upgrade advice for Dualcore Athlon Fx-60 2.66ghz

I have been thinking of getting this card. Currently using an x1950 pro 512 (sapphire). As you can see I think I have a fairly interesting system maybe even going as far to say its a fairly rare setup and proof AGP isn't quite dead yet.

Now I know that AGP is really begining to show its age, but I spent a fair bit of money on this rig and would like to see it to go the distance. I am aware that we are reaching a period where the older CPU's are a big bottleneck and for most people upgrading there current systems it is a waste of money.

However, when I made this machine the dual core Fx-60 was one of the best gaming chips money could buy and outpreformed all of intels offerings at the time, if I am not mistaken. I also currently enjoy most recently released games at full detail and mostly over 50 fps, I have no intention of upgrading to vista and dx10 on this machine either... Basically I am very happy with my current rig but would like to push it to its limit.

Also the powercolor models appear to have a much better cooling solution so I would probably be up for a spot of OC'ing. I am limited with the sapphire atm.

So, has anyone else had any experience with this class of CPU and the 3850?
    Do you think I will see much improvement?

thanks

Last edited: May 23, 2008
  2. astrochris

astrochris Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 3870 X2
    i'd say that's a worthy upgrade. you'd probably be looking at around double the graphics performance from a x1950 pro to an hd3850.

3. Nymphetamine876

Nymphetamine876 Member Guru

GPU:
    2x Sapphire HD3870's
    yes the 3850 is a very large performace boost over the 1950. i say go for it.