SoftFireGL on HD 3870 / Success, apparently

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by maligor, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Bananabomb

Bananabomb Member

GPU:
    ATI HD3870
    Your questions are all answered in this thread. Of course it does work, but in Maya you'd have to deal with this disturbing selection priority bug which selects the first object in the outliner instead of the one being closest to the camera. Other than that it works like a charm. I hope that they'll fix the Maya bug in an upcoming version of the driver, because this FireGL mod is the only working way to get up to date high-end OpenGL performance for a bargain.

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  2. NormanBates

NormanBates Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD3870 / ATI HD4670
    I think that 3850 should be moddable, but in any case keep us posted, please

most of what I'm doing with maya recently is modelling, but that doesn't mean I model a lot (I'm just an amateur who prefers creating virtual aliens rather than killing the ones other people have created)

I know this bug is annoying, and I don't any real solutions for it: what I do is to get rid of parts that I don't want to select anymore (moving stuff that is already done down in the outliner, or putting things on frozen layers), and pan and rotate the camera A LOT; depending on the scene you're working with, you can get used to it, so that it becomes a relatively minor inconvenience (it is still annoying, but I don't realize it so often anymore)

3. kilema

kilema Master Guru

GPU:
    3870x2 @ V7700-XP64-8.633
    @psone
    All answers can be found in this post on how to softmod a 3850 to a FireGL. It might seems like it's only for 3870 but all cards are modded the same way and once you read through the posts.

4. psone

psone New Member

yea sorry about the lazy i want answers now post, i had a fair idea it'd be possible just wanted to make sure thanks again for the speedy reply, and 'll post results as soon as i can

psone

oh and one other Q will the difference in memory make any real difference or would the 3870 be a better option givin the faster memory and core speeds....

cheers again!

Last edited: May 21, 2008

5. kilema

kilema Master Guru

GPU:
    many reviews show that you only need the extra memory if you go extreme resolution (such as 2560), otherwise, 512 is more than enough.

6. olll

olll New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 3870 512MB
    I would like to thank to every one in this thread especially to NormanBates and schoko. I have my sapphire 3870 running perfectly as a FireGL. thanks to every one again.

I used to have a 6800 Ultra@quadroFX 4000 AGP. I upgraded to an 3850 AGP to try modding it with no success, then I desided to upgrade my MB to a PCI EX one, returned the card and boughth a 3870. and now Rock and Roll

7. NormanBates

NormanBates Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD3870 / ATI HD4670
    those reviews kilema is talking about use only games, I think

in pro apps, you may need huge amounts of memory even if working on low resolution, for example if you use big textures (if they are big enough that they don't fit on the smaller-memory-card but small enough that they fit on your card, the performance difference will be ENORMOUS; I saw that happen on a certain scene when swapping my 256MB HD2600XT for a 512MB 3870)

in general, I feel the moving-polys-around-and-texturing-them performance of a modded 3870 is way higher than I need, but I have run out of VGA memory before (with a 256 card, though), so a 3850 with 1GB of memory looks like a very good card for this stuff (just post your modding success here so we know that it works!)

8. kilema

kilema Master Guru

GPU:
    Yup i mean gaming as I only work with Solidworks so i guess my answer isn't as good as it can be some rendering is something we don't need to do much of in Solidworks.. ;)

9. boogah

boogah Member Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 295 Quad-SLI
    even in solidworks the more parts (10k +) in an assembly the more video rams you need before it starts to slow down the viewport when it needs to start swapping memory in and out while rotating the assembly around. Doesn't really matter what resolution you are at it's the amount of Lines and geometry. Through my experience the 3870 does better in static benchmark scores but my HD2900XT 1GB is better for my actual work because of the amount of ram and the 512-bit bandwidth.

10. Qwesto

Qwesto New Member

GPU:
    ati 4870 1gb
    Don´t you know...

...that there are 3870´s with 1gb ram out there?
    Bandwidth is lower(1920) than the 512mb cards(2250)

...still have no money to buy a new card....

11. NormanBates

NormanBates Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD3870 / ATI HD4670
    there's a GeCube HD3870 X-Turbo III which I think comes with 1GB of ram, but it's not easy to find...

and a 3870 with 512MB is right now cheaper than a 3850 with 1GB

surprisingly, there's a few 3650s with 1GB, and they are quite cheap; there's a thread in this forum on whether a 3650 would be moddable; if the answer is yes, this card may be great for some users (for example, for the secondary PC that aids in rendering... and may also get used if the main one, with a 3870-512mb, hits a memory wall)

12. Bluefirexp

Bluefirexp Guest

GPU:
    Waterforce GTX 1080
    Anyone can tell me if softfiregl-mod works not just for 3870, but for 3870 x2 also?

13. wincenzo

wincenzo New Member

GPU:
    GeCube HD3850@FireGL V770
    i don't understand a thing about this mod:
    why in the script do you change the id in the line of hd2900gt@firegl7600?
    if this card is based on core R600 like firegl7600 on R600gl, while the cards HD38x0 are based on the R670, i can't explain which is the reason of that choice.
    I think that in these script simply the mod of HD38x0 it's not predicted!
    but at the same time people here have the hd3870@firegl7700! :bang:

if someone understood better what happen with those script can explain me plsss!

thx folks :nerd:

14. kilema

kilema Master Guru

GPU:
    Look through this post and you will find the answer, the text is basically meaningless, it's the ID that's the most important in here and you can name it whatever you want, some ppl modded the 3870 as 7700, some did it as 8650 and some even did it as FireStream, it's the same thing after all

15. wincenzo

wincenzo New Member

GPU:
    so you mean that at the least the mod @fireglxx00 it's simply a formal problem, becouse this softmod however use the firegl capabilities hidden in the HDxx00 series, the differences are only the name of svga that your system recognize!
    RIGHT?

16. kilema

kilema Master Guru

GPU:
    for simplicity YES.

17. NormanBates

NormanBates Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD3870 / ATI HD4670
    Just a small clarification... I don't think the rest of the text is meaningless, it surely is full of wisdom by schoko, huanghao, unwinder...

but the only thing that has to change in the script so that it works on different cards is the device ID: the rest doesn't need to be altered, and the name windows gives to the card may also be irrelevant (though it may not be the case, as olll reports that his 3870 works better as a v7700 than as a v8650: better performance and less quirks)

18. Bluefirexp

Bluefirexp Guest

GPU:
    Waterforce GTX 1080
    I think there is a huge difference in which Name you choose. When Autocad for example recogizes a new Vidcard, it checks it for finetuning. As Autocad HW Database is not always up to date it may not know your vidcard (for example it does not know any firestream cards), then it says "not supported" and you get much less fine tuning options.

19. Bluefirexp

Bluefirexp Guest

GPU:
    Waterforce GTX 1080
    btw- what is the FireGL panel?? I wanted to patch with the scripts included in RT, but i just don't find what to patch? :nerd: Is this the CCC?
    Further i patched the FiregL MAX for 3dsmax and installed it- still i don't see any specific option where to enable it in 3dsmax preferences...

20. wincenzo

wincenzo New Member

GPU:
    pls let me clarify i never image that this text is meaningless, surely it's fundamental for the mod and obviusly the fact that i can't find a sense in it it's the proof of the wisdom of shoko, huanghao, unwinder...
    Simply i mean that it's not important the correspondence in the line were you change the id whit the model of your card becouse as you said the important part it's the "ID".
    However i hope soon to complete a test with some people that own a HD3850 so we can have the proof it works too, but i can't find someone with HD3650 to test it also (could be interesting test the HD3450, maybe it could be moddable too!)

However thx to everyone for the great job!