Silent, cool CPU fan advice needed, please!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by RandomBloke, May 15, 2008.

1. RandomBloke

RandomBloke Banned

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Ti 3GB
    Hey everyone,

I'm in need of a silent fan! I also want it to be high performing - money isnt really an issue.

I've got an AMD 6400+ processor, which will be running pretty hot due to it being 90nm, 125W. I've got a board that takes the AM2+ processors, so I would like my fan to be able to live up to the job of cooling the quad-cores aswel, for when I upgrade in the future. I'm building my own case from scratch, so space shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I've done some research, and my current thoughts are between these guys:

Nexus XiR-3500 Copper
    Noctua NH-C12P
    Thermalright IFX-14
    Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme
    Scythe Ninja Copper
    Scythe Orochi

Maybe with a 120mm Noctua fan if I went for the Orochi or TRUE, etc?

My main priorities are that it's:
    1) as silent as possible
    2) does the cooling job well, and is stable.

Has anyone had any experience/advice that they would like to share with me?
    Thanks alot in advance,
    Rob.

2. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X
    Noctua NH-U12P or TRUE with Noctua NF-P12 fan.

3. RandomBloke

RandomBloke Banned

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Ti 3GB
    Thanks for that! Are you recommending them based on experience?

4. surrealX

surrealX Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    I have the TRUE and it does a great job cooling my Q6600 @ 3.2GHz. The Noctua fans are great. Expensive though =/ You should look at the Scythe S-Flex 1600RPM fan. One of the best.

5. The Chosen 1

The Chosen 1 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 6870 MSI TwinFrozer II
    Last edited: May 16, 2008
  6. surrealX

surrealX Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Yeah those are silent but they aren't durable. Have fun replacing them like every few months.

7. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X
    Yeah sure. I really want to see a 120x120x38 fan at 1400 RPM and 18dBA. It is impossible.

RandomBloke not my personal experience, but from my friends. If you look for absolute silence Noctua P12 fans are firsts, and for heatsinks Noctua itself or TRUE are in top of the list.

8. surrealX

surrealX Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    I don't think its impossible. SilenX is known for really silent fans but they crap out real quick. Only bad thing about them =/

9. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X
    Readme.
    So let's think about. If a SilenX 120x120x25 at 1100 RPM and 35 CFM have 25dBA@1m how much dBA@1m will have a SilenX 120x120x38 at 1400 RPM and 90 CFM? ;)

10. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    well.... let's see..... it's a slightly deeper fan (38mm instead of 25mm), probably wouldn't be CUTTING through the air as much as it would be MOVING the air. If you want my reasoning behind this..... have you ever been outside swinging something through the air? the thinner it is, the higher the chance of there being a whistling noise, and the more high pitched that noise is. Could be one reason why those tiny little 40mm fans can sound like boat motors at times.

I can also back up the Noctua NF-P12 120mm fans as being one of the better, if not best fan choices out there. excellent airflow, quiet.... just awesome.

Think another issue people had with the SilenX fans is that for one, they seemed to have a tendancy to leak the lubricant to help aid in rotation sometimes... and due to the more confined space, the fan hub would get rather warm.

As for the heatsinks.... i don't know how someone could want to use the Orochi. think that's the first heatsink i've seen who's weight was measured in POUNDS. I've been looking at the IFX-14... but i just don't know. Quite expensive.... and also quite large (although still nowhere close to the Orochi). I'd have to agree with the others.... either the Noctua heatsink, or the TRUE, although with the TRUE there's a high chance you might need to lap the heatsink. tends to be rather uneven.... or non-flat.

11. RandomBloke

RandomBloke Banned

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Ti 3GB
    Hey,

Thanks for all the replies - really useful! It's great to hear you guys's opinions. The Nexus hasn't been mentioned in any of your posts - anyone tried it? I could only find one review about it.

Thanks again!

12. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X
    Here? :)
    Nexus, Yate Loon, Scythe S-Flex/KAMA PWM/Slipstream are very good fans, but your request was for
    So that's why I told you about Noctua P12.

And if you look at my specs (all those packed in a P182 case) maybe you'll imagine that I'm a silent freak. :D

13. RandomBloke

RandomBloke Banned

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Ti 3GB
    No, I was looking at the cpu-cooler: http://www.nexustek.nl/NXS-XiR-2300_Xir-3500_silent-CPU-Cooler.htm
    rather than a more convention case-fan-style-fan. It's rated at 15-24dB due to it's temperature dependent speed. Which is great if it's chugging along at 15dB, but I'd be really annoyed if it was flat-out humming at 24dB all the time.
    So if anyone's tried em out, then let me know!

But the consensus does seem to be the noctua fan at the mo - it does seem really impressive to me, so thanks for the support on that one.

burebista - yes, your rig does seem pretty silent! All you need now is a passive PSU and a solid state HD, lol!

14. Tokintegra

Tokintegra Master Guru

GPU:
    3x BFG 8800GTX OC2 on h20
    i havent tried many cpu fans since i pretty much jumped straight into water cooling when I started. But the ASUS Silent Knight II worked great and was very quiet. I had it on my QX9650 when I first got it, while I was still ordering the H20 stuff.

Did a good enough job to let me overclock to 4ghz on this thing.

15. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X
    OT
    Nope, I'm not a fan of passive PSU's. You need a damn good airflow for them and many of them are prone to coil noise. ;)
    And for HDD, it's a WD 2500KS enclosed in Scythe SQD.
    Something like this (it's my old 7900GS in picture)

[​IMG]
    /OT

And about those Nexus HS's, it seems that performs well

[​IMG]

but Noctua is far more silent though.

[​IMG]

16. RandomBloke

RandomBloke Banned

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Ti 3GB
    lol - I was joking!

Yes, that is a very quiet rig. :D

That scythe hd enclosure looks really good too. I've just ordered some of the zalman anti-vibration heatpipe hd coolers, but maybe your scythe was the way to go :bang:

It certainly looks like noctua is winning the fan-war!

17. RandomBloke

RandomBloke Banned

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Ti 3GB
    lol - just noticed that bit of sponge under your hd!

18. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X
    Yep, anti-vibration home made. :D

19. RandomBloke

RandomBloke Banned

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Ti 3GB
  20. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    C12P? that's news to me. don't think i've ever seen that one anywhere, unless it's brand new.

edit: and after reading that review.... seems like a pretty damn good cooler too. surpasses the TRUE by a nice margin on quad's.

Last edited: May 17, 2008