Gas Strike?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Netgamer, May 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    As for the argument that wages are different in the UK and so petrol prices can not be compared, a little searching uncovered these figures:

Mean Annual American Salary: ~$48,000
    Median Annual American Salary: ~$43,000

Mean Annual British Salary: £22,000
    Median Annual British Salary: £13,000 - £20,000 (Let's say £16,500)

American Gallon costs (say) $3.80
    British litre costs (say) £1.10

Using these figures for the cost of fuel, Americans are paying approx. £1 a litre. The British are paying $2 a litre.

Judging from this, the British get the short(er) end of the stick, since the median salary is a better representation of salary since the mean is skewed a lot by the immensely rich, regardless of country.

2. blue5

blue5 Banned

GPU:
    evga 9800GTX (685/1115)
    and they are to blame for that? No they aren't. your politicians are to blame. The same politicans who didn't really care before and now have to scramble. You don't even know what it is to be a hippie, so how can you criticize?

Oh, and maybe its time to stop drinking.

Last edited: May 5, 2008
  3. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    how the hell are my politicians to blame? If the country is directly dependant on imports it means we are very sensitive to international market prices, so when people started believing the bio diesel disaster bam, the **** hit the fan.

So you know who's fault it is? its the hippie greens in Brussels which passed a law to make 20% worth of consumption in ethanol and the hippies/subsidised farmers in the US which also passed a similar law. The EU has changed their mind due to the price hikes and now prolly the US too.

Also note, i like bourbon, doesn't mean i drink it every day so stop passing comments about it.

4. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    Dude, it would be hilarious if it weren't so serious. The same nutball hippie element who pushed this "biofuel" crap is now complaining about food shortages which they caused!!!!

Here in the US, eco-nuts have succeeded in blocking the construction of many nuclear power plants(even though they are incredibly safe and contribute ZERO pollutiion). Not to mention that high gas prices are directly attributable to the same nuts filing lawsuits to keep any new refineries being built or the usage of the billions upon billions of barrels of domestic oil resources here in the US.

I could go on and on exposing this crap but I don't feel like a ban right now.

5. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    Also we must note, its not just the hippies fault, i mean there are many other agents such as increased demand and speculation but this time the greens cant run away.

People are going to die cuz of this and the people responsible aren't the US army, bombs or any other armed conflict, its the hippies. So no more blaming bush on this one.

6. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    Don't you worry, they'll find a way. As Forrest Gump said, "stupid is as stupid does."

7. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    ah i can't even imagine poor people with V6 and V8 hahaha... il get a car with 4 cylinders with 1989 cmc that will match the performance of a V6 hahaha, ok maybe not that much torque but you juts gotta love small powerfull engines.. 8 l to the 100km hehe, i don't have to worry about overpaing gas for many years

8. AJ²06

AJ²06 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GT 330M 512MB
    no one cares about the Brits

lol

No but yea, gas is getting ridiculous lately..

9. AJ²06

AJ²06 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GT 330M 512MB
    more things need to die dammit [product of compression and heating of ancient organic materials over geological time].... we need oil!

orrr if someone found a way to exponentially increase the rate of change and time needed for corpses/organics to become the damn oil.

10. blue5

blue5 Banned

GPU:
    evga 9800GTX (685/1115)
    You know, its funny that people now realizing how dire things will get now that oil is running low. Its not hard to figure out that couples with high shipping cost and droughts (due to a certain climate effect) food would begin to become a challenge.

I'm avoiding the banning issue here, i hope. I won't address Classic's insane tirade about some eco conspiracy. To do so would give legitimacy to his delusions.

Bush is wasting money, and is now blaming other peoples' prosperity on current problems:

11. llerenaprincipe

llerenaprincipe Ancient Guru

GPU:
    DIAMOND X1950XTX 512MB, 650/2000Mhz
    gas is 3.65 here in kentucky >_<

12. blue5

blue5 Banned

GPU:
    evga 9800GTX (685/1115)
  13. Netgamer

Netgamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6600LE 300/300
    Were do you live in Kentucky? because its $3.55 here in Elizabethtown

14. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    I'll say it again...you can't compare prices from other countries to the US... their prices have been rising in a consistent manner with their economy. The US fuel prices in the last few years have jumped 200% higher than they should be. If you look back at history of what the amounts of prices have been increasing from up to 2003 you would see that we shouldn't be paying no more than 1.70$/gallon.

15. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    Of course you can compare them. The USA is simply not paying as much as a lot of other places. What is happening though, is the price is rising much faster in the USA than other places. How does that make them impossible to compare?

16. Netgamer

Netgamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6600LE 300/300
    Because of the economy, thats why you cant compare..

Its like saying.. Place A pays $5 for a pack of smokes but Place B (over sea's) pays $2 for a pack of smokes.

You just cant compare it. YOUR NOT AMERCIAN

17. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    So what if I am not American? As far as I can tell, American's get paid more, and pay less for their fuel.

Now, I'm not saying you aren't allowed to complain, because clearly the prices have shot up so fast I bet it caught a lot of people with their pants down and left their heads spinning, but that does not mean we can't compare them.

18. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    hardly a bush ism, its been the position of most European politicians, the fact that demand from china and India adds additional stress on western inflation rates.

one would have to be a f'ing retard not to make that connection.

I don't think bush thinks that Indians and Chinese shouldn't be eating, probably hes thinking on the line of many European governments to cut exports and re-invigorate primary industrial sectors to allow for controlled inflation and a manageable amount of ethanol production, Id be in favour of that move would allow to place a price reduction and continue increasing fuel production.

19. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    Americans get paid more?? You obviously have no idea how the "Classes" work in the US economy.... most people are lucky to get by let alone afford these crazy fuel prices. Most are having to decide between eating 3 meals a day or 2 when one of them will pay for their gas they HAVE to get to get to work to buy those other two meals. The US economy is robust but these sharp increases in fuel is having a circle effect for everything in a major way... these prices are what we might be seeing in 2020 not 2008.

20. Netgamer

Netgamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6600LE 300/300
    Yes, I now at work can no longer eat at lunch (at work) i have to wait till i get home. At the end of my paycheck between bills and gas i get $15-20 to last me 2 weeks. (thats for food) thats @ $9hr 35-40hours a week.

the US should not be paying this much for gas, as SAVA700 said, we should see these prices in 2020 NOT 2008. in 2008 we should pay ONLY AT MAX $2.00 a Gal

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.