BFG 8800gts 512 very strange "electric "noise???

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by PowerGI, Apr 15, 2008.

1. PowerGI

PowerGI Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 1536MB
    I just built a new computer and im having some problems right now. I wanted it as silent as possible, and actually one of the, if not THE, most annoying noise from my computer is the video card.. wth... I have a BFG 8800 GTS OC 512 @ stock speed.

I saw on youtube a guy who had that kind of problem (Like an "electric noise" coming from the video card) but it was only when his card was running at very high fps. He just had to activate Vsych and his problem was solved, well thats what he says.

But not me. I still didnt install a lot of programs and games, but in oblivion, 3dmard programs, and actually even when I watch some videos in windows media player, my video card makes some kind of VERY ANNOYING electronic noises.

I never read about that problem anywhere, but it is sooooo annoying. Anybody ever had this problem with a video card? Should I return it? The card seems to do its job prefectly though.

The only problem ive had for now, except the noise, is mouse lag in Oblivion and in the menus of rainbow six vegas (game works perfectly though, unlike oblivion which mouse lag a bit in game too). Is that mouse lag normal? I dont have the mouse lag in NFS most wanted. I didnt try other games yet.

2. DayDreamer

DayDreamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 580 @900,4300@1100mV
    never heard of "electric noise". There is always noise coming from your pc, hard drive, cpu fan, video card fan, case fan, psu fan. Try to take those fans off and see (just kidding). If don't have any problems playing games or anything, why bother? Try to run atitool and scan for artifacts for about 5 hours and see if your pc act up. But if you still wanna exchange, go ahead.

3. FearFactory

FearFactory Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX470 4GB
    Yeah, i know what you mean, i had a new hard disk doing that "electric" noise.. like you say, it's very annoying! I returned the hard disk, do the same with your card.

4. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    Did you enable vsync in oblivion?
    Cause if you think about it: 3dmark does not use vsync cause it wants to test just exactly how high an fps you can get. Media players doesn't use vsync either, atleast not what I know of. So naturally, some videos will be going above your limit, and some won't. :)

That's just my two cents anyway,
    Regards,
    Peezee.

5. AlexTech

AlexTech Member Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS G92 512MB - 780/2000/2100
    i got the same video card and the only noise i hear its the fan one ( i mean no rare noise )
    RMA it

6. PowerGI

PowerGI Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 1536MB
    Ok there is development in this matter. My friends 8800gtx ran perfectly so I tried it in my computer and he tried my card in his computer, to see if the problem was really my video card. Then, to everyone's surprise, both computer were making the noise. now thats strange. oh well, nothing can be explained by that test, so we give each other back our card, and now, HIS card has the problem too in his computer.... Its making a really strange electrical noise under stress, like in a game. But the pitch of the noise is different depending what game i play and where you are in the game (ingame or in menus etc) and depending what you see during playing. So I went to my computer store, which is specialized for gamers, and have no idea whats the problem, so they said they need to do more tests and that id have to leave my computer, which i didnt, for now. But what i did is RMA my card, so they passed my an asus 8800gtx while i wait for my rma card to come back, and now their card too is making the problem hahaha... So somehow my computer broke 3 graphic cards for now. The sad part is that the video cards, for now, still do their job perfectly, but they all make noise now, kinna like coil whine. They think the problem would be the PCI-E slot or the Power supply... So Ill have to leave them my computer when my RMA card arrive..... What you guys think about all that? Ever heard of something like that? What are your theories? I mean seriously... a computer literally transmitting a problem to videocards..

7. gunman127

gunman127 Guest

GPU:
    980Ti 6GB 960 2GB
    All my benchmarks turn Vsync off automatically, and they all make a buzzing sound come from the graphics card.

Both my old 8800GTS and new 9800GTX do this, so it's definitely normal.

I always assumed it was a capacitor oscillating or the VRMs wobbling, and don't really mind.

As I and you said, it only happens with Vsync off, and that should only ever be when benchmarking!

8. samstar

samstar Member

GPU:
    2x XFX 8800GTS 512MB (G92
    i had the same problems, be sure to test it with another videocard, otherwise its your mainboard.

9. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    I think most video cards I have owned have made this sound. It occurs when scrolling in a web browser, as well as in game-menus and in game. Mine is very quiet though and I don't see how it is a problem when playing a game as the sound of the game should drown out the sound of the video card. Also, I think most cards make the sound, just most computers are too loud to allow the user to hear it.

10. PowerGI

PowerGI Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 1536MB
    The thing is that usually, when i enable Vsych in games, my mouse starts to lag in menus. I was wondering what was going on in oblivion, most wanted and vegas, since my mouse was lagging in menus (especially annoying in oblivion since you pass a lot of time in the menus by pressing tab). As soon as I disabled vsych, no more mouse lag. Is there a way to enable vsych for everything al the time, outside of game menus, like in the nvidia control panel or such? Is it normal to have mouse lag while vsych is on?

11. gunman127

gunman127 Guest

GPU:
    980Ti 6GB 960 2GB
    Yes.

Use Rivatuner to force the CPU prerender limit to 1 for DirectX and 2 for OpenGL.

No more mouse lag, slightly higher FPS averages.

12. Googashlak

Googashlak Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 275 1792MB
    Hey what's up DayDreamer. Were you in a Crysis match where nobody was hacking at all and you said it was fun? I could of sworn I recognized your name from that game. :)

13. PowerGI

PowerGI Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 1536MB
    Googashlak dont take over my thread please, you should have send that message in private message, not here.

14. AlexTech

AlexTech Member Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS G92 512MB - 780/2000/2100
    a card do not supose to make any noise but fan one... did u buy all the pieces in the same place?

15. MiNI

MiNI Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 6950 unlock 950/1400
    Could just be the Capacitors on the card/motherboard making noises from the different frequencies, Between idle and load.

16. GalantVR41062

GalantVR41062 Guest

GPU:
    MSI Vega 64 CF
    My computer started the making this noise also. It seems to be coming from the mobo, after I started OC the processor is when it started, I just turn my case fans up so I can not hear it.

~John

17. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Wow, I have the same 'problem'!

But, only at high FPS in DX10. For example when you start up Crysis and the FPS is over 500 when the Crytek logo is shown, or in the menu when the FPS is still quite high. The frequency of the noise changes according to the framerate. It's very strange.
    Actually the weird thing is that in DX9 my card makes no "electric noise".

Did you ever turn your system on without actually plugging in all pci-e power connectors?

18. TroM

TroM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD6850 OC
    It's gotta be the fan....Try stopping it only for a SECOND and see if the noise goes away. Could just be a faulty fan

19. PowerGI

PowerGI Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 1536MB
    I tried to stop the fan, its not that, I can guaranty it. I tried crysis in DX9 and it still has the problem. I guess the problem is the motherboard or the power supply, otherwise i don't see how other card could have been infected too...

I bought all my pieces at the same place except the motherboard. Thats very intelligent eh... Im out of luck there.. But they're cool they'll check it anyway, and i told them that when im gonna give them my computer to check, if its the motherboard i might just bought i new one. I dunno if i want to go through the waiting of a second RMA process... I could but.. anyway i guess ill have to wait and see first after my video card comes back for RMA.

My videocard was making the noice since the beginning, so even before I overclocked. Its reallyyyyyyyy a mistery...

20. Bleeq

Bleeq Active Member

GPU:
    Galaxy (KFA2) 8800GT@ 733
    That "Electric noise" is more then likely south bridge "crickets" commonly found in Nvidia chipset motherboards but with bus speeds in PCI-e 2.0 I have heard the "crickets" on an Intel board :D