Symantec problem

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by Aidan444, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Aidan444

Aidan444 New Member

GPU:
    PNY Nvidia 6200 256MB AGP
    so since yesterday after i had to reformat and then reinstall my anti viruses etc, whenever lucallbackproxy.exe runs up about 7 processes, it takes up 100% CPU and doesn't change basicly i have to reboot, but it happens after say 10 mins of my comp being on I've never had this problem before with lucallbackproxy.exe it usually lagged me for a few mins but nothing serious like this it freezes most processes and takes me ages to click anywhere, now i have disabled it leaving it useless and unable to update, but i don't really want it to be unable to update norton etc so i was wondering if anyone had any advice or anyway for me to stop it using 100% CPU asoon as they pop up thanks.

2. hermitd

hermitd Member

GPU:
    HP 8400GS 256 MB PCIe x1
    NAV / Symantec is a big pile of poo... really it is... use some free stuff like avg or avast. both are lightweight and are proper av solutions

3. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    What version of Norton are you running ? I would strongly suggest you update to 2007/2008 if you have not. They work perfectly for most people i know.

(That means people who have actually bothered to test and isn't just repeating the same old song about how bad Norton is. Norton is not a bad AV and anyone who says otherwise haven't got a clue. It is not even that heavy anymore and it can easily be removed as well. It has a good engine with high detection and low false positive rates, on top of that it is one of the best for cleaning systems. All based on tests, real tests. I don't want to go into why it has gotten such a bad rap but when you are one of the most used AV in the world your more exposed that's for sure.)

Secondly you want to make real sure that lucallbackproxy.exe really is Norton and not a Trojan, there are malware such as Beagle which can replace the exe with itself and run (It can do it with Avast! as well just so we don't get any stupid replies about how that proves something about Norton).

W32.Beagle.GM

Uploaded lucallbackproxy.exe here and scan it just to be sure.
    http://www.virustotal.com