How to get the most out of my system?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Tusin, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Tusin

Tusin Member

Hello. Not sure if this is the right forum to post this in, or what not. But I JUST did a new setup. PNY G4 4200 TI, AMD Athlon 1800+ (Currently running at 1650mhz), 512 PC2700 Ram, Abit KX7-333 (Non Raid). Did 3dmark2001 at got about 9000. I checked around and it looks like alot of people with the same or similar setup are at least hitting 10grand and most 11grand. This is my first DDR board, first XP, first Geforce 4, etc...... So curious on Bios Settings, Settings for the G4 (I have RivaTuner installed), setting for Windows XP. Etc....... If anyone has some links or what not that would be great.

Thanks again.

2. Martys Web

Martys Web Don Santino Corleone

GPU:
    XFX 7600gt
    If you read through the forums here and the drivers section and the General Hardware section and the Processors and motherboards AMD section and the Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications section here in our forums you will find a data base second to none.

3. RedWolf4000

RedWolf4000 Guest

Set your DDR ram timins to 2-2-2, istead of its probablly default 2.5-2-2 settings in DRAM control in your BIOS. Depending on how good a brand your ram is, it will either gain you around 250-450pts in 3dmark2001, and speed up your ram, or it might just make your system unstable because the ram cant handle it. It cant damage your ram, if it does get buggy, just change it back.

Also, make sure your mainboard is set at all its performance settings, like FastWrites for AGP and so on.

A simple thing to do is go into settings in display and gop into advanced properties for openGL and turn on Use fast linear-mipmap-linear filtering.

9000 isnt a score that should concern you, its the average ti4200 score. Some people get in the 8000's! :eek:

Try these things. Read through your BIOS and make sure everything set for performance.

My Rig:
    --------------------------
    Athlon XP 1800+
    MSI KT3 Ultra 2 mainboard
    256mb pc2100 crucial ram
    XFX's GeForce4 ti4200 64mb
    20gig WD 7200rpm HD
    onboard 6.1 souround sound
    --------------------------
    3DMark2001 SE score: 10007 @ defaults, no o/c or tweaking
    30.82 nvidia drivers

4. Sgauna

Sgauna Guest

I have the same problem, But 3Dmark score me: 7800!!!!!!

My pc:

Athlon xp 1700
    512 DDR
    Kt 266 pro2 Mobo
    MSI GeForce4 4200 128 MB

Apg Aperture Size: 128
    Fast Write Agp: Enabled
    Agp: x4 enabled
    Detonator: 30.82
    Windows Xp
    AA: Turn Off

What I'm doing wrong?.

please help me.. :( I'm reading the forum since 7 hours ago!!)

5. RedWolf4000

RedWolf4000 Guest

You can loose a whole 1000pts (which also effects gaming performance) just from poor DRAM setup on your mainboard. I URGE you guys to go into your BIOS, and first off, set Performance settings. Secondly go into DRAM control and make sure. You need to set the CAS latency to 2, and if thats to fast, then 2.5, you need to set the RAS to CAS to 2ns as well. ALso, make sure the ram. Also, if you see "Fast command" in the DRAM control menu, make sure that is set to Ultra, to ensure the CPU is working its fastest.

7800 is pretty low for that system, and i think you need to really take a run through your BIOS, and possibly the manual, to tell you what each cammand does, so you can optimize the board.

6. Tusin

Tusin Member

Hey Sgauna, I will do some more tweaks and let you know what I have done. I actully plan on unlocking my Athlon today.

7. Sgauna

Sgauna Guest

Ok!!! Thank you very much! If I found something, I'll let you know!..

I'll try to do all about the memory... tomoroow I send the result..

May the Geforce Be with me :)