AMD 45nm processor reaches 3GHz in the lab

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Apr 17, 2008.

1. JPennStar

JPennStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7970M
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, let AMD/ATI start competing again. I miss the days of ATI - Nvidia and AMD - Intel wars!

2. sdack

sdack Banned

GPU:
    ATI Radeon X850XT AGP 256MB
    It is kind of silly asking AMD to be better than Intel again. Intel is the much larger company and you do expect Intel to do better. AMD could compete with Intel because Intel's CPUs were just slow. This changed and what we are seeing now is about what it should have been all the time.

The ups and downs are entirely normal. Does anyone here remember Intel's FDIV bug? That bug created much more news than AMDs TLB bug. It made math in your computer go wrong and scared the hell out of all scientists. In some way the news was hoping AMD would have such a bug but it was just that TLB thing and AMD even told everyone about it right from the start ...

Thinking about the responsibility of people there is more than just two kinds of people out there and only a few really posses the right amount of responsibility for their job. Some have none and some have more than they should have. And you find these in all companies. Saying that AMD has problems with some of its people is then just no news. Intel has a lot more employees and is anyone here believing that people at Intel do not make careers?

You do not bet on the underdog if you want to make money. You bet on the underdog if you want to make a bet and you do not bet to make money. (If you want to make serious money you let people make bets.)

I think there is a lot of confusion between those who bet on underdogs and those who do not know why people like AMD.

Sven

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  3. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Saying Intel outsells AMD is like saying the pyriamids are in Giza or that the sky is blue.

Despite what you think AMD has made HUGE headway in terms of selling chips to OEMs like to Dell/HP than it was say 5 years ago. Go back a few years before that and AMD in an OEM was like having a cheap knock-off.

Fast forward today and because of the success K8 AMD was able to crack the OEMs and get their product in their computers. Why? For a while the K8 held price/performance dominence over Intel, now? Now they still remain a cheaper platform than Intel. They provide all the power a regular user needs, while being affordable.

Sure if you want to play a game (at low resolutions) a high clocked Core Duo will be better, but most people don't need that much power. If you look at not just the OEMs from their websites, but in the retail stores you will AMD actually has more products than Intel on the floor.

A friend of mine who works at Office Depot (while trying to find another teaching position) says their floor has 80-90% AMD models and thats whats being sold.

If you recall back a year ago when AMD had a processor shortage, it wasnt because enthusists bought up everything, it was because OEMs bought up a crapload of cheap CPUs and were putting them in their PCs.

While it still may be lower than Intel marketshare AMD is STILL selling more chips than it used to.

4. Chouji

Chouji Guest

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    Where i live, the only cpus in the stores onshelf computers are core series, celerons and the amd turions.

The only PC's using AMD cpus are the budget laptops like at walmart.

Even the budget desktops are using core series cpus. and the extreme low budget desktops are still using celerons.

I know office depots and office max have a few onshelf AMD systems, but the office max here, is 50% intel, 50% amd's, and all the amd's are in cheaper notebooks.

I want to see amd catch up to intel, i want them to become equal in size, i just dont think it's going to happen, i have a feeling intel will dominate the budget and elite arena's so strongly amd will eventually fade away. They won't make enough money to develope new cpus, and without new cpus, they won't have the product to make a comeback.
    Intels core series cpus are just too good.

5. bug77

bug77 Banned

GPU:
    Palit 8800GT
    I guess it depends on your definition of successful. Yes, they are selling more, yes they have grown. But they're selling their flagship CPU for less than $300 while intel goes for $1000+. And no matter what they come up with, intel can just lower prices until they bring their own counter on the market. It's a tough position AMD has put itself in. And they bought ATI on top of that. :3eyes:

6. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    The team that loses bought the other team that loses

I don't get it XD

7. sdack

sdack Banned

GPU:
    Who lost? On one side people want to see AMD grow but you just do not find qualified people on every corner. Intel then has bought hundreds of companies in the past. You would not believe who they bought.

AMD now has the people to produce not only CPUs but better chip sets as well as great graphics chips. What does Intel have in stock when it comes to graphics? Think about that for a second.

AMD may not be the shiny white knight who slays that ugly beast called Intel ... but I believe they do the only reasonable thing if they want to survive. You grow and do not shrink, even at all costs.

Imagine what would have happened if AMD did not buy ATI. Do you think they would not have had that unlucky TLB bug? What other leg would AMD then have to stand on? Investors then like growing companies rather than hesitating ones. And at larger scales banks start thinking differently, too. They let you do more negative if you still drive your comapny forward. If you only sit and wait to turn your little profits around they simply get bored with you.

Sven

8. bug77

bug77 Banned

GPU:
    Palit 8800GT
    True, that move caught intel completely unprepared. Intel must be content to be just the largest GPU maker for now.

That would have been a disaster: AMD with some billions in the bank. Definitely not what they needed for a price war or R&D.

9. sdack

sdack Banned

GPU:
    Well, you may take a sarcastic stand but you really need to see through it, my friend. If AMD did not have bought ATI they would now be burning all that money and stand just where they left off perhaps some years ago. They could not grow and investors would avoid them for not taking risks. So now they have the man power to turn a lot more money around and to recover from losses more quickly.

You cannot just run away from an opportunity because it might turn out to go bad. You are only a looser if you cannot get up and get going again.

If Intel really would try to destroy AMD with a price war they could do so at anytime and would have much more money than AMD to do so. They just do not do it and what drives the market are different concepts.

Sven

10. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    @ sdack : I just said that to make you react :)

11. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    I don't know how you can really argue that.

AMD took over ATI, a year later their shares were down 55%, their market share down by 7%, and they made 430 job cuts.

And now, another year later, they're cutting another 1600 jobs, that's a massive 10 percent of their entire workforce. Here's the document they filed to the US Security and Exchange Commission just 10 days ago: http://amd.edgarpro.com/redirect_fr...rtBy=receivedate&AD=D&startrec=1&res=25&pdf=0

12. sdack

sdack Banned

GPU:
    @proFits: I love to react and I have no little ego that needs a boost. Its rather a very large ego that I have got, you know?

Then perhaps you should find out.

You argue like a boy in 2nd grade who heard stuff from his father and now believes that everyone who drives a hyprid car is a terrorist. All because in some way what his father said made sense but all he really understood was hyprid cars and terrorists.

When AMD bought ATI some people had to leave. You cannot have two bosses running one company and you cannot have two administrations. I.e. lawyers, tax experts, HR department, marketing, etc.. Some jobs then do get lost because of such redundancies. You just did not get that and believe that these job cuts are a generally bad sign.*)

Why the shares went down I do not know. I do not give much on share movements and therefore do not draw any conclusions. The shares may have fallen in any case. Intel brought out the Core 2 and AMD buying ATI meant a lot of spent cash. Chances are AMD got a too good evaluation. People may have believed that AMD could always and forever produce faster CPUs than Intel. After all these Internet bubbles one should be careful where people try to stick their money into next.

And do you also know what has caused this to happen or do you want me to believe that AMD is doing one bad move after another?

It is all in all somewhat like a game of Command&Conquer (or whatever RTS you prefer). If you stand still your opponent will get you. If you sit on a pile of resources without using them you will loose, too. And even when you work as hard as you can you still might not have enough forces together to withstand your opponent. Do not tell me you do not know this or that this is untrue. You should know a little bit about strategies by playing RTS games.

It is then very similar in economics only that the companies do not directly battle one another**). It may well be that AMD will go down whatever they do.

Sven

*) Job cuts are of course bad but in such a case only for those who lost their jobs.
    **) Well, at least they always deny this in public and only hire ruthless managers which have about the same effect.

13. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Firstly, get some basic knowledge sdack. The share value directly shows you what the company is predicted to be worth based on the company's commercial success. Their share value just dropped again with news of the latest job cuts, ie. investors are turning away, the opposite to what you said (because job cuts are not a sign of a successful company). Maybe you should take your own advice and go and read up on it, because it's quite clear you haven't got a clue what you're talking about.

Instead, you insult anyone who disagrees with you, maybe you're insecure or something, idk. Trying to have a meaningful discussion is impossible because you will argue it to the death even though what you're saying makes no sense, but you'll still try to come out on top by belittling the other person, real mature. If you believe AMD is in a better position now than two years ago when their processors were beating Intel's, and ATI were superior to Nvidia with the x1900 series, then you are deluding yourself.

But we're going so far off topic now that I can't even remember what the topic is (I'm sure this is my fault too).

[EDIT]To answer your question, I believe AMD are cutting jobs due to losing 15% revenue over the last quarter, and they've already said they expect revenue to be down again for the second quarter this year.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008
  14. sdack

sdack Banned

GPU:
    No, as I wrote above I have no interest in shares.

The only person here who is insecure is you but why should I care about it?

Tell me what a meaningful discussion is to you.

You are talking about the past. You cannot undo it and things do change. AMD needs to go forward because Intel will not stand still and Intel does not move forward because some competitor tells them to! Do you believe Intel will stop once all competition is gone?

Do we really need to have a "from scratch" discussion so you can catch up?

Sven

15. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Look, I'm not going to bother replying anymore because you just go off on some random tangent about something completely irrelevant. As I said we're going off-topic here in a big way.

16. sdack

sdack Banned

GPU:
    Then bring it back on topic, if you dare.

17. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Fine, well I guess we may as well go all the way back to post #18 and continue from there, before it all started going pearshaped:

18. sdack

sdack Banned

GPU:
    Is that where you continue or is that just a quote? I think it is now going pear-shaped (whatever that is supposed to mean in your language).

19. Steven Hone

Steven Hone Paolo the Gun

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3090 3X OC
    sdac & morbias - go by a Cyrix :p

20. sdack

sdack Banned

GPU:
    Nah. My 9850BE is coming on Monday (so says the shipping order). It gets a big air cooler and if I get some good OC results out of it I will write about it.