PALIT 8800GT - fan is out of control...

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by attila_gorilla, Jan 30, 2008.

1. attila_gorilla

attila_gorilla Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility HD 5730
    Hi Ian,

Well me personally, I took the card back to the shop for a full refund and got a completely different model for about 10% extra cash. This one works perfectly, and i simply cannot hear the fan.

2. tommoturbo

tommoturbo New Member

GPU:
    xpertvision 8800gt
    i could do that i suppose but i got mine from a shop on ebay and he's offered to replace it for me but he only stocks xpertvision (he has about 30 left from same shipment) so i guess they'll all be the same. and ill have to pay postage and wait for the other. im sure if i ask for a refund ill loose out on postage and vat as i paid £145 for it (he sneaked vat on at checkout) and £20 postage so ill probably only get £116 back you see.
    Thats why im trying to think of something like plugging the reference fan into a controller.
    or fit an artic cooling s1 rev2 passive h/s

cheers ian

3. attila_gorilla

attila_gorilla Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility HD 5730
    Yeah in this case it makes sense to try something. I`m not sure about the fan plug though, will it fit into a regular case fan header on the motherboard? If not, then you will need to replace the plug and possibly even extend the wires.

4. tommoturbo

tommoturbo New Member

GPU:
    xpertvision 8800gt
    Ive been measuring up in my case and it looks like the artic acellero s1 rev 2 wont fit due to me having a dell case but when i was measuring i noticed the fan is ran from 4 wires and also near the sli plug is a small white connecter not sure what its for though

my other thought was to try and fit the S2-rev 1 turbo fan in place of the original.

the card currently runs at 50-55c idle and 78 under load

im going awat but wil put more effort itn when i get back , need to quieten it down some.

cheers ian

5. johnim

johnim New Member

GPU:
    palit 8800gt 512 & HR-03 GT
    Thermalright HR-03 GT

i have installed a Thermalright HR-03 GT instalation 1
    and using the rivatuner g92 plugin my temps are
    idle 40 without fan
    load 63 without fan
    idle 38 with fan
    load 43 with fan

i just hope they are right

6. Midi

Midi Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX260 896MB X 2 SLI
    Mine work fine!

7. suicidebaby

suicidebaby New Member

wierd

i also am having issues with a palit 8800 the 1gig version seem to be getting strange lockups in games ive tried various drivers thinking that was the issue but none of that fixes my prob i dont know if its heat related i cant even hear the fan running unless i open rivatuner and crank it to 100 then i can hear it. any ideas would be great. thanks btw idle temps are 48 which seems high to me i have it sitting in a antec 900 case which cools very well but obviously not well enough for this card ill get back to you on the laod temps

Last edited: Mar 9, 2008
  8. Gucci

Gucci Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080Ti
    Haha same here! But my fan is controlled by something cuz at boot up its at max but as soon as i get in to vista it slows down...

But i have no temp readings what so ever...

I think i have figured it out by now and i will share it with u, EVERY 8800GT thats out there and has a different cooler then the stock needs something special to be monitored...

For example. ASUS has a 8800GT with a werid looking gold copper fan... u cant read **** on that one, no fan control, no temps BUT, u CAN see temps if u use ASUS own smartdoctor utility... so i thought hey maybe that will work for me but it didnt...
    And that ASUS card's FAN cant be operated either and runs 100%.

So basicly, if u buy a card that has another cooler then the stock one AND is cheaper, its because it lacks the Temp Sensor AND Fan Control... Its as simple as that... its Nvidias move for a cheaper 8800GT compared to HD3870 i belive...

Im happy with my Inno3D version cuz it actually controls the fan somehow, but the downside is no fan control or temp monitoring :(

PS. Test gpu-z and hit the monitoring tab... if the only thing u see is clocks, then there is no more monitoring stuff available .ds

9. suicidebaby

suicidebaby New Member

temps

well i can monitor everything on the card via rivatuner even temps i can get so theres no issue there. under a load card can reach temps around 55-60 thats when lock ups happen usually in games like ut3

10. Gucci

Gucci Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080Ti
    Nah this is bull****, im gonna change to a Sparkle or Leadtek...
    As a hardcore overclocker i NEED those monitors available...

Im sorry for u guys hwo cant change if u have boguth one of these "almost real" 8800GT :( ...

11. chrispycrunch

chrispycrunch Active Member

GPU:
    Palit 8800GT 512MB (700/980)
    Hey,

I have the palit 8800gt non-sonic and it works fine: I have the 169 nv drivers and run riva tuner to rev up fans.

before riva, it was 29% fan speed all the time but temps went up to 90C! But when you increase fan to 60% temp maxes at 75c.

there's a 3rd party you can get that you can use to replace the stock fan. it sounds to me the sensor is broken. can you even access temps in riva tuner?

12. Jack Hair

Jack Hair Active Member

GPU:
    HIS 7970 @ 1200/1562
    I got an xpertvision 8800GT yesterday which also seems to have the "fan out of control" issue. I was wondering if anyone has tried to edit the BIOS to set a lower fanspeed? If so, does it work?
    I did get temp readout working with a plugin (G92.dll) for Rivatuner.

13. chrispycrunch

chrispycrunch Active Member

GPU:
    Palit 8800GT 512MB (700/980)
    make sure your dataprovider for temp reading is adt7473.dll...

14. Jack Hair

Jack Hair Active Member

GPU:
    HIS 7970 @ 1200/1562
    With the adt7473.dll I don't get a temp readout, thats why I searched for a plugin. The G92.dll does show the temp of my card.