P5W DH deluxe Multi gpu mode ?!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Guenhwyvar, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Guenhwyvar

Guenhwyvar New Member

Hi there,

i´ve bought a few days ago a new 9800x2. but i can´t bring it to work on multi gpu mode. on multi dispaly mode,everthing is fine and i have no problems. but if I switch the card to multi gpu mode (yeah,that´s the only reason to buy this card :p ) i´ve many problems. after boot windows xp + sp1, it display´s a very strange desktop (but a screenshot is completly normal) and when i start a game, the monitor will flare like hell und there are continuous beams on display. i think ther e is something wrong with the secondary card in multi gpu mode... (no it´s not broken,only the multi mode won´t work)

I´ll use the latest driver´s 174.74 and the 2704 bios.searched many thread´s in different bulletin boards but with no result...

maybe someone had the same problem and know what to do,i don´t want to buy a new motherboard when i don´t have to ;o)

2. lost-soul

lost-soul Member

GPU:
    9800GX2 @ 730/2200
    Exactly same problem here with same symptoms.

I have been in touch with nvidia custhelp.

Nvidia: "Your case is being escalated to our Level 2 Tech Support group. The Level 2 agents will review the case notes and may attempt to recreate your issue or find a workaround solution if possible".

Lets hope there will be a fix.

3. dune2

dune2 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    The GX2 needs a PCI-E x16 mobo slot to run. The P5W DH only offers 2 x8 slots. I'm not sure if it can combine the speed when only one slot is used. But at least on my GX2 there was a big sticker that the card would not run properly if it was used in a PCI-E x8 slot. It also said so on all etailer sites I've seen.

4. zx00xz

zx00xz New Member

GPU:
    MSI 9800GX2
    I have exactly the same problem with the exact same symptoms. One thing I would like to add though is that the p5w does in fact have PCI-E x16.

Another weird thing is that I initially installed my card on a Vista Ultimate setup, and the card worked fine in multi gpu mode. However I got some bad 'driver not responding' errors at certain points in games and went back to xp pro but unfortunately this only made things worse. I hope that this is a driver problem and will be fixed soon.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2008

5. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    yes it does but if you run sli, because it doesnt have the 680i chipset or equivalant, it splits the 16x bus up to 2 x 8x. where as my mobo or equivalant chipset, runs both cards at 16x without halving the speed. this is the problem. i think anyway.....

6. zx00xz

zx00xz New Member

GPU:
    MSI 9800GX2
    Well if that's indeed the problem then I guess there will be no fix for it. However i thought the whole points of X2 cards was that you didn't have to run them in SLI, even though it makes sense that multi gpu uses SLI but then in just one slot. They should have made it a lot clearer that you need 2 times 16x. Fortunately i have already placed an order for the 790i ultra and some nice dd3 memory :)

Edit: Oh and one other thing, how come it did work on Vista Ultimate? I admit it also crashed after 15 min. or so but shouldn't it crash instantly or give errors?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  7. lost-soul

lost-soul Member

GPU:
    9800GX2 @ 730/2200
    I got a message back from nvidia:

NVIDIA Development isn't aware of any chipset or hardware issue with this combination. However, there was previous serious performance issues with i965 / i975 original Intel boards and even high end D975XBX working with the NVIDIA PCI-Express switch that's on GX2 based cards. These issues were resolved with SBIOS updates from the motherboard manufacturer and not hardware nor driver related. We suggest you contact your motherboard manufacturer ASUS.

8. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    i dont know, im kinda new to this buisness, just upgraded you see. But i guess it could be because of chipset issue? i do know that my board can support quad sli so i presume that its because of the pcix speeds....... hope this helps :)

9. Helpful

Helpful Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    I had similar problems when I first got a 7950GX2. I found that by installing nHancer (http://www.nhancer.com/?dat=downloads) I was able to iron out most problems.
    I also seem to remember reading in Release Notes that Dual View (multi-monitor) would not work with Multi-GPU (SLI) enabled.

10. lost-soul

lost-soul Member

GPU:
    9800GX2 @ 730/2200
    I was also able to fix my 7950GX2 problems with this, but 9800GX2 looks like a different story.

I ran Crysis fps test, every time loading bar advances a flash occurs across the screen. Every time something moves in game(leaf or anything)a flash occurs. FPS is between 45 and 60 @ everything high 1280*1024 so peformance is good.

11. Guenhwyvar

Guenhwyvar New Member

hmm, that means we have to use a mb with 1xpci 16x or (a cf or sli board) with 2xpcie 16x ... hmm not an cheap expirience. i bought this card ´cause I remember that in every pre-test of the 9800x2, there was an explicit sentence YOU DO NOT NEED AN SLI BOARD... ok but no information about that "only 1 pcie slot with 16x or (on two slot boards) 2x 16x)...

will the card run with an x38 chipset ? cause its only for crossfire, i´m a bit confused now... don´t want to buy a mainboard that don´t work. the most test boards are 790i ultra... triple sli board, nobody need this on for normal use

12. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    you dont need a xfire or sli bord, just one with 1x 16x pci-e.
    Also if you just turn off MULTI GPU it should work fine.

13. Guenhwyvar

Guenhwyvar New Member

"Also if you just turn off MULTI GPU it should work fine."

ok therefor i can use it on my old mobo. but you don´t buy a 500eur gcard when you only use it with 50% of the power (1/2 gcards)

ok, i´ll be more clearly:

sli board a must have for multi gpu or not ? I´m looking forward to buy an GigaByte GA-EX38-DS5, but it´s only supports Crossfire.

but in this case, it will be mean, I only can use both of this cards (on one slot,not quad) when i use 680/780/790i chipsets for sli

i remember i´ve seen a test with a x38 mainboard, but i´m total sure (after 2 weeks fly around throug the net and read everything about that card you can´t remember all that stuff)

edit
    --
    mplementation on the driver level is identical to what was done for the GeForce 7950 GX2. The control panel reacts the same as with an SLI system except the word ‘’SLI’’ is replaced by ‘’multi-GPU’’ in order to keep the brand name for in-house chipsets. By default the multi-GPU mode is activated with the latest driver version.
    http://www.behardware.com/articles/708-3/product-review-nvidia-geforce-9800-gx2.html
    --
    ok when that´s true, a sli board is required (and most of the tests are bull**** or they test only on "mutli-display-mode")

Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  14. dmitrice

dmitrice Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070 8GB
    The P5W DH Has 1 x16 and 1 x8

15. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    I understand thats not what you want to hear about turning it off, but I might be wrong but i though the whole deal with 1 card with 2 GPUs was you dont run it as 2 cards , you run it as a sigle card.

Also i did some reading and alot of ppl are saying that they work better on a SLI MOBO, and there can be problems with Crossifre mobos.

16. THEBIG360

THEBIG360 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Phantom 670's SLI
    Works perfect here and i only have one 16x slot.

17. zx00xz

zx00xz New Member

GPU:
    MSI 9800GX2
    Ok today I installed Vista Ultimate 64-bit as well as the new 174.85 beta drivers. Everything works fine now, no more crashes, no more weird coloured desktops. I can tell both cards are utilized because of a massive fps boost since multi display mode :p (running multi gpu now obviously).

So all in all this probably wasn't the fault of the p5w dh deluxe (i run bios 2704 btw) but just a driver issue. Or vista related.

Hope this helps for some of you.

18. lost-soul

lost-soul Member

GPU:
    9800GX2 @ 730/2200
    Wait Vista X64 runs fine but XP does not??? This must be a joke or Corporate conspiracy.

19. zx00xz

zx00xz New Member

GPU:
    MSI 9800GX2
    Yes I was also (positively) surprised. I was unable to make it work on multi gpu in Win xp pro. However, that was 32-bit, so maybe it has something to do with that.

Or, the newer vista drivers did the trick and you just have to wait untill it comes out for windows xp.

20. lost-soul

lost-soul Member

GPU:
    9800GX2 @ 730/2200
    Hmm might try vista 64 also. Anyway thanks, u have made my day, i was already saving up for a new mobo :)