Who here uses a "Biofuel"?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by worthy, Apr 13, 2008.

1. worthy

worthy Master Guru

GPU:
    2 ATI hd 4870 512s
    Anyone here use something other than gasoline or diesel in their vehicle?

If so, what, and where do you live?

2. Andrés

Andrés Guest

I live in Buenos Aires, have two bicycles and I fuel them with blood and sweat :D

3. Crossfire

Crossfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 4670
    Biodiesel is bad for newer diesel vehicles.

It cloggs up the injectors and they are over $700 each.

4. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Not possible here. I wouldn't use it anyway. Bio dosn't mean that it would be less poluting than fossile based fuels (ther was an interesting article about biofuel "hoax" in TIME magazine). Fuel (gas/benzine/petrol or just bensiini as we say here in Finland) costs too much already. Shell's v-power costs more than 1,5€/litre here in Finland.

5. worthy

worthy Master Guru

GPU:
    2 ATI hd 4870 512s
    Ok, what I was getting at guys, is I have never seen it available here in America.
    I am not sure what states have it and what states don't for sure, just that I haven't seen it.

So what I am really getting at is how when so far the general concensus (be it ever so small so far), can this be driving food prices up? Are they just once again following their reliable track record in lying to price gouge?

America has food surplus sitting in silos and warehouses just rotting, so I find this whole story hard to believe.

Opinions on that?

6. worthy

worthy Master Guru

GPU:
    2 ATI hd 4870 512s
    And you are a lot healthier for it!

Of all places your country was one that I thought would have it available, but of course you guys also produce your own oil, no?

I have only seen it once in Brazil and this was many years ago when I travelled for a contractor. I was shocked to see it. I have never been to argentina, but I would like to someday.

7. worthy

worthy Master Guru

GPU:
    2 ATI hd 4870 512s
    The cummins diesel in dodge trucks seems to be able to handle it, but in very cold weather it has problems.

I don't know too much about how others work, but I know a lot of the older diesels love it. Especially smaller ones in cars.

8. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino

GPU:
    old
    Older (like 80s MBs and VWs) are probably fine with homebrew bio (pure WVO may cause issues). So are some truck engines, but it will viod your warranty. On modern auto diesels, commerical bio and only in certain percentages.
    Oh and WVO based bio is cleaner than regular diesel because its puttoing use to something that would otherwise be pitched.
    Growing for bio-fuels is often at best a zero-sum game (equal effect to fossil fuels). There have been some exceptionbs, such as brazil's sugar based ethanol and some varieties of bio diesel once you account for all method from oil rig/farm to burning.

Corn based ethanol is worse for the environment and a waste of tax dollars.

9. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    Jesus worthy, why so many posts?!

Anywho, the reason Biofuels drive food prices up is because masses of farmlands are being cut down in order to grow biofuels. The reason for such widespread biofuel adaption in the countries that grow it is because they know that x number of countries have agreed to cut carbon emmisions by y amount by the year 20xx. So they know there is a market, and they can make a lot of money off it.

Unfortunately, the land they use takes away land from growing foodstuff. This means farmers could be earning more money growing biofuels, or they need to buy land to accommodate demands. This all costs them money, and so they need to charge more.

Funnily enough, we now pay more for food, AND the net effect a lot of biofuels have is EXTRA carbon emissions. At least for something like 100 years.

10. Andrés

Andrés Guest

Sadly this is becoming false. Argentina is growingly depending on oil imports, despite the vast territories it could use for oil extraction. Blame the various late governments and their lack of correct infrastructure planning. We should be able to get everything we need by our own means, but instead we are buying gas to Bolivia, oil to Venezuela and electricity to Brazil. I wish everything was different but that's the way things work in Argentina: everything is upside down.

11. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    Sounds Like how here in canada we sell the oil and rebuy it back

12. bobdude

bobdude Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    i converted to propain its only 1.05 a gallon

13. worthy

worthy Master Guru

GPU:
    2 ATI hd 4870 512s
    Now how many miles per gallon of propane do you get in relation to what you would get with gasoline?

I know that for example with ethanol, there is about one third the stored energy that gasoline has, so the mileage is not as much per gallon.

How about propane? I know a lot of people that use it to heat their homes and in winter they can go through 500 gallons of propane in a month for all it's worth at 400 dollars or so a month sometimes. Where with say natural gas, I am heating my home, water, and even running my dryer for around 100 dollars with a 1944 house that is uninsulated.

Some of these alternative fuels while initially looking less expensive, actually end up more expensive in the end.

14. Ex4000

Ex4000 Master Guru

GPU:
    2600XT
    I hate biofuels its the reason why i now have to pay 99p for my 98p loaf of bread FFS!

15. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    Actually, the expected increase in food prices is expected to contribute to a £750 - £1000 increase in yearly food costs.

Hardly 1p per loaf is it?

Just to put it in perspective, a loaf of bread 15 years ago was 9p.

16. frguru

frguru Member

GPU:
    Ati 2600 Xt
    No, I dont use it yet.

17. Mad Cow

Mad Cow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire+HIS X1950 PRO Crossfire+OC
    I was at a gas station yesterday and I saw that there was a little notice that said there's at least 10% ethanol in the fuel. Does that count? :p

18. Richard_Noggin

Richard_Noggin Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 GT 512MB
    Bio Fuels = Trash

19. mike41

mike41 Guest

GPU:
    Evga 560ti
    how much is this "biofuel"?

20. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    I take the brits here saw the episode of Top Gear (best show on the planet by the way) in which they did a 24hour race in a diesel powered BMW rep mobile fuelled by bio-diesel they grew in the last series? Great episode, violent stuff though, it ate through the fuel pump seals nearly prevented them from even racing.