Samsung 204B Blanking Issue....

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA Modified Drivers' started by winders, Mar 28, 2008.

1. winders

winders New Member

Folks,

I have a Samsung 204B made in China that has a blanking problem when using DVI, 1600x1200x32, and a EVGA 8800GTS card.

When I was running XP and an older nVidia driver, I used the Coolbits registry mod to enable the old control panel with hidden features and enabled the CVT Reduced Blanking option and all was well.

I upgraded (downgraded??) to Vista 32-bit, the problem reared its ugly head again. The bad news is that I can find no way to solve this problem using Vista-compatible drivers.

Does anyone have a 59.92Hz solution for me???

Thanks,

S-

2. nabeel46

nabeel46 Member

GPU:
    8800gtx
    Hey,

I have the same monitor, same issue, it just seems like it "blinks", not sure what the problem is though.

3. slicksickwilly

slicksickwilly Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 5870
    I went through this whole smeal about 8 months back.. My brand new 204b blinked intermittenly at 1600x1200 on dvi connection.. It will not exhibit this on any other resolutions or on the analog connection.. You have defective monitors and need to rma them asap (thank god samung warranties on monitors is 3 years).. Only the ones made in China do this.. The ones made in mexico are fine.. Samsung is well aware of this issue although they will deny there is a major problem for fear of a massive recall.. Contact them 1-800-726-7864 and they will happily cross ship you another monitor with free return postage one you explain the problem..

4. nabeel46

nabeel46 Member

GPU:
    8800gtx
    thanks for the heads up! i just gave them a call and new one is on its way. i hope they're outta stock, hopin for an upgrade:D

5. winders

winders New Member

slicksickwilly,

Thanks for the kick in the butt. I should have done this when the problem first popped up.

I called in but it wasn't easy. I had three different support people tell me that my monitor did not support 1600x1200 and that I was running it at the wrong resolution. They said they could not work with me until I fixed the problem. They blamed the video card for the problem.

Well, after complaining and getting bumped up to tier 3 support, I got someone that knew the 204B supported 1600x1200 but they said the blanking problem is not uncommon on all LCD displays. I laughed and then explained that this was a common problem on Chinese made 204B displays. He argued but I said I didn't care. I just wanted my display replaced.

He agreed to do that but said that the replacement display might be from China too and that the problem might still be present. I told him that I would not accept a monitor that was made in China. We'll see what I get....

S-

6. nabeel46

nabeel46 Member

GPU:
    8800gtx
    Really? I called and got it within 10 minutes. You just need to take charge. I said..

"I have my monitor it flashes. Only under DVI. My friend was having the same issue and it was warranty exchanged".

I always "take charge" when talking to these guys. She asked about the resolution, I said it's at the native, she said the res before I could even check it.

Guess it depends on who you get. If I get a hardass, I just hang up and call back.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
  7. winders

winders New Member

Dude, I've been in the industry for 28 years and have worked Tier 3 support at major companies for the bulk of that time. You don't need to school me on how to handle tech support people.....

Scott

8. nabeel46

nabeel46 Member

GPU:
    8800gtx
    I wasn't schooling you, I was just relaying my experience. I own a software company, but you don't see me stroking my e-dick. If you wanna have a cock fight over qualifications, no one really gives a ****. Jeez. Chill out.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  9. winders

winders New Member

nabeel46,

Look at your comment:

"You just need to take charge."

It implies I was some kind of wet noodle. You don't want to get flack? Think about what you post before you post it...

S-

10. nabeel46

nabeel46 Member

GPU:
    8800gtx
    Doesn't imply anything, I was just surprised it took that long.

11. Decon

Decon Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 460 SE
    My..the maiden doth protestest so loudly!

LOL!
    D

12. nabeel46

nabeel46 Member

GPU:
    8800gtx
    Ahaha.. I know.

Anyway, I got my new monitor. Made in Mexico; no problems so far.