9600GT or 8800GT?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by SpartanZypher, Apr 9, 2008.

1. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    If I were you, I wouldn't worry too much. Both cards are excellent and whichever one you buy, you'll get your money's worth. The 8800GT is more expensive and it is also proportionately faster. But the difference is not really earth-shaking and the 9600GT is a really fast card which will let you enjoy many new games in their full visual glory.

2. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    I'd probably just go with the 9600GT, after all there's a maximum of 10% performance difference between that and the 8800GT.

3. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    the 9600GT can overclock to 8800GT speeds (when the fan speeds hold that is)

4. SpartanZypher

SpartanZypher Member

GPU:
    XFX 7600 GT XXX Edition 256Mb
    That's what I've come to understand. The 8800GT does have the better specs, but when compared to a 9600GT in real game tests, it only gives 5 frames more on average @ 1600x1200 (which is close to the res I'd use, 1680x1050). And is that little bit worth it's price? That's a personal opionon, since everyone has their own thoughts. But for me it's not, in my eyes the 9600GT is the right card for my budget, and it still allows me to acquire a new CPU Cooler and a couple of case fans. Think I've made my choice, I thank each of you for each of you comments and suggestions.

5. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Well I bought my EVGA 9600GT just a week ago. And now I wished that I would have bought a nicer with with a dual slot cooler/HSF of some sort because I dont like this small thin one because it gets pretty hot.
    And with the funky fan problem I have, I might really need to put my own on if I want to keep my overclocks.

When overclocked, this card is simply badass in UT3 with 2xAA.