In need of a motherboard for my Q6600

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by PowerGI, Apr 3, 2008.

1. PowerGI

PowerGI Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 1536MB
    Yesterday I went to buy all my new pieces, but unfortunatelly, nobody here has Gigabytes in stock, and I wanted the GA-P35C-DS3R which I heard a lot of good things from.

Basicly I got a q6600, ocz 2x2gb ddr2-800 reaper, bfg 8800gts 512, corsair hx620w and vista home premium 64. Got the thermalright ultra 120 xtreme for the cpu.

I'd like to have a strong motherboard that could last me for 3-4 years, SLI is not so important (can I even SLI with a HX620 PSU anyway?) and that is very overclocking friendly (like the p35c-ds3r). For 24/7 I'd like to make the cpu run between 3.2 and 3.6ghz. For the very long term (planing to keep this build for 3-4 years, during all my university studies for the curious ones), would it safer to run the cpu at a lower speed or could it possibly last that long even at those speeds? My athlon xp-m 2500 did survive 4 years at 220x11 lol...

My available choices are especially in the Asus and Intel motherboards, even though everything there
    http://www.microbytes.com/computer/ordinateur/index.php?cPath=2012004
    might be possible to get. I'd have to wait 1.5 to 4 weeks for the gigabyte... Dont feel like it so much, but its not impossible to do either i guess.

2. gampamu

gampamu Guest

GPU:
    MSI 8800GTS 320
    Asus makes solid boards. The P5K-SE and P5K-E both have Intel P35 Northbridge like the Gigabyte. The main difference between the two boards is the southbridge chip: The P5K-SE has ICH9 and the P5K-E has ICH9R. ICH9R will run RAID whereas ICH9 will not.

3. PowerGI

PowerGI Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 1536MB
    Can the P5K-E do SLI? I think i should get a motherboard that I could have the possibility to go SLI one day if id like. From what i could understand, it can only do crossfire and the second pci-e slot is only 4x. I dont mind so much about the price too, im willing to pay what it takes for a good motherboard. I will only use DDR2 ram, so I dont need a card that alloys DDR3. A card with onboard wireless internet is a plus (like this card can do), but not absolutely needed. Do you guys have another idea?

And for the PSU, I'm gonna get a 8800gts 512. Iwondering if the 620HX is enough for 2 8800gts 512 oc and q6600 oced, plus the rest of the components... Is there another stronger very silent PSU I could get? (like 750w i guess)

4. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    From what i hear the Abit IP35 pro is very good.

5. asus p5e-wifi
    good board, between 3 of my friends we have my P5E, Ginges P5K-R, and Deans P5E-WIFI
    All run 24/7 @ 3.2 with Q66's, 1:1 with 800 speed memory.
    they are crossfire boards tho along with the GA-P35C-DS3R which another 1 of my friends has.

6. gampamu

gampamu Guest

GPU:
    MSI 8800GTS 320
    Intel chipset based boards will do Crossfire but not SLI. The opposite is true with Nvidia chipset boards.

7. sandmanza

sandmanza Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800GT Extreme
    I have been looking around aswell, think I've settled on ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi

It seems to be the only P5K board that worth getting since the p5k-e has been discontinued.

And wasnt the p35 chipset better than the x38 at overclocking these CPU's ?

8. PowerGI

PowerGI Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 1536MB
    thx guys, I've settled on ASUS P5K Deluxe WiFi as well. No SLI for me^^

9. PowerGI

PowerGI Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 1536MB
    Actually I only reserved the p5k deluxe, gonna buy it tomorrow.

What is the difference between the deluxe and premium?
    Where I buy my stuff the p5k deluxe wifi is 207$ and the p5k premium wifi is 208$. Should I get the premium instead?

10. OCZ

OCZ Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 570
    Both 8 Phase, so pretty much the same thing, also if you maybe want a cheaper options and basically the same Mobo, P5K Pro or P5K-E Wifi would do it.
    And yeah, absolutely nothing gonna last 4 years, of course it you don't want to have a crap of a PC in 2012.

11. gampamu

gampamu Guest

GPU:
    MSI 8800GTS 320
    Looks like identical P35/ICH9R chipsets. The premium does Intel Matrix RAID whereas the deluxe does not is the only difference I can see. Matrix RAID is a nice feature. Allows you to run 2 different RAID setups on same disk array.

12. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    Yes your PSU should be fine for SLI 2 8800GT cards.

13. RossCorp

RossCorp Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 570GTX SLI
    For $1 extra dollar...most definately! They are basically the same, but I believe there is just a slight difference with the voltage settings in the BIOS. The Premium also uses different capacitors...supposedly they're better.

I've had mine for a little over half a year, haven't had a single complaint. Very flexible when it comes to overclocking, had it up to 450FSB with this q6600, didn't try any further, but it was rock solid. You should be very happy with your new Premium/Deluxe, which ever you choose!:)

14. fearsjohn

fearsjohn Guest

GPU:
    evga 1070
    the corsair 620 is actually a really strong psu. it can run 2 overclocked 8800 gtxs with an overclocked quad with know problem as well as everything else.

15. EDogg007

EDogg007 Guest

16. deluxe and premium, doesn't one of them have a lcd display on the board? I think so