9800 GTX review out !!!!!!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by shark52, Mar 24, 2008.

1. superdunkaroos

superdunkaroos Master Guru

GPU:
    xpertvision 9600gt 512mb
    there is a review out at "t town"

2. eriku

eriku New Member

GPU:
    3 eVGA GTX285 3-WAY SLI
  3. reno_skychaser

reno_skychaser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 6600 XT
    Running that benchmark on 1280x960, I come out with 15fps. I'm starting to dig this card. 3 more days until the definitive review is in?

4. Killa Lou

Killa Lou Member

GPU:
    eVGA 7800GS CO
    Yep! And I can't wait to read it. :)

5. Cycloid

Cycloid Master Guru

GPU:
    2x256MB Geforce 7800GTs in SLi
    Is it just me or does this look a little 'suspect'...

6. maxrep12

maxrep12 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 460TALON sli 920/2120
    The review does have the 8800 gtx beating the 9800gtx in ut3. Are you suspect from the results that generally show the 9800gtx accelling over the 8800gtx?

7. Cycloid

Cycloid Master Guru

GPU:
    2x256MB Geforce 7800GTs in SLi
    What is bothering me is that the card is only 'slightly' faster (and in some cases) slower than the 'previous' generation.

I am suspect because:

1. Why would they release a new top-end that does not 'win' their previous top end cards.
    2. How come only 1 sitethat I can find on the net has a review (referenced in this article) and not even one mention from the usual 'official' sites...

Could be wrong thought... but it makes me wonder...

If the review is legit though it does not really look to be that much of an improvement... which is sad.

8. Killa Lou

Killa Lou Member

GPU:
    eVGA 7800GS CO
    No 'legit' sites haven't reviewed it yet because the card isn't launched yet. In most cases nVidia will have a NDA set up so that information doesn't (officially) become available until the card is actually launched.

The card is scheduled to be out April 1st, last that I heard. (Almost 1 day away! :D)

The reason why it's not much better than the previous top-end is because, well... it probably wasn't designed to be in the first place. The card is based off of the 8800GTS G92 chip. It is slightly polished with a better PCB design. It's nothing "new" in the form of technology that we haven't seen yet. (Like the GTX was over a year and a half ago.)
    Lack of competition from ATI caused nVidia to get lazy with their progression. But that will probably change in the coming months.

The true next successor to the 8800GTX is what's code-named as GT200 right now. With G100 being another variant. That's what you're waiting for if you want something truly new.

9. TirolokoRD

TirolokoRD Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980TI ACX 2
    People, get over with....you dont need to upgrade everytime you change your panties.....let it goo....

10. reno_skychaser

GPU:
    ASRock RX 6600 XT
    But what goes better with that crisp, clean feeling than a doubled 3DMark score?

11. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    Is the 9800 a upgrade to my Voodoo 2 card:)

^^^^^ Theres sarcasm there somewhere:biggun:

12. NoviceRei

NoviceRei Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 460 825/1079/1650
    it should launch tomorrow (it's april 1 here tomorrow). :D

there should also be a new review from hilbert coming out in the next one or two days. :)

13. fetabob

fetabob Active Member

GPU:
    waiting...
    For those of us that have skipped the 8 series it's been a testing time. My plan was to wait until there was a card that would really kick ass with vista and dx10. It's been a long hard fidgety wait listening to all you dudes with your nice 8 series cards (specially the 8800gt). But now I've got a pile of games I need to see running sweet no matter how the 9800gtx turns out. It's a GTX for me as soon as i can get one, and it's the HDMI port that really swings it for me, I want to see if it will make mince meat of the xbox graphics when I plug it into my mates big plasma telly and show him crysis for the first time. It's up to us all to make these console buyers think they are missing out on the high end stuff again.

14. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Your gonna need at least 9800 GTX SLI x2 or even 3 way SLI to max out the eye candy for a high resolution display. Better to show it on a decent widescreen LCD with a small pixel pitch not some blown up TV screen.

15. reno_skychaser

GPU:
    ASRock RX 6600 XT
    Plasma ≠ high resolution

1280x720 on high should be passable.

16. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    it does if its 1080p

17. reno_skychaser

GPU:
    ASRock RX 6600 XT
    True, but plasma's are notorious for bad resolution per inch. Dial it down to 720p for Crysis. They shouldn't notice a difference.

18. fetabob

fetabob Active Member

GPU:
    waiting...
    Yeah, I was thinking that it certainly won't be any tougher to display than 1600x1200 on a normal lcd, it's more the AA that concerns me with putting a pc on a plasma, I notice the xbox doesn't really compete with the pc for textures but they do see to have done an excellent job with the jaggies ! Time will tell, wouldn't surprise me if the best way to game on a pc will always be with an lcd and same goes for xbox/plasma. Still interested to see if it's enough to make the console fanboys stand up and take notice. Doubt I will convert them.

19. Elfa-X

Elfa-X Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 6800 XT
  20. BBN

BBN Master Guru

GPU:
    Vapor-X 7950 3 Way Xfire
    stop that thread already 9900GTX is coming out in jUlu according to

epxreview ..