SoftFireGL on HD 3870 / Success, apparently

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by maligor, Mar 10, 2008.

1. kinitex

kinitex Member

GPU:
    VisionTek ATI Radeon 3870 512mb
    Ya wow these random hangups/freezes are ****ing annoying. Nothing you can do but alt+ctrl+del, end maya process and hope you havent done very much since last save.

2. Bananabomb

Bananabomb Member

GPU:
    ATI HD3870
    Has anyone tried to patch the drivers they are referring to?

3. kilema

kilema Master Guru

GPU:
    3870x2 @ V7700-XP64-8.633
    Has anyone gotten this to work in WinXP 64 ? I just got my new system and waiting to try that.. ;)

4. godfrey161984

godfrey161984 Member

GPU:
    3870@firegl 7700 XP 64bit
    hi...i succesfully softmoded my 3870 into fireGL 8650....but when i rebooted a warning message is coming stating "The catalyst Control center is not supported by the driver version of your enabled graphics cadapter please update your ati graphics driver or enable your ati adapter using the display manager"
    so what should be my next step...plz let me know...i m completely noob in softmoding world

5. godfrey161984

godfrey161984 Member

GPU:
    can anyone plz tell me how to install catalyst Control center after softmoding 3870 into 8650...i have 8.44 drivers but its not installing

6. diesel_clatter

diesel_clatter New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 3870 512MB
    Catalyst Control Center

I removed a Geforce 8800GT from my system (on ebay now if anybody is interested :cheers:)

At first I directly installed the firegl drivers using the excellent instructions of Mr. boogah. This worked but I had the same issue, no Catalyst control center. I messed around a bit but did not find an easy way to install Catalyst separately from the drivers.

The final solution for me was to go ahead and fully install the latest set of 3870 drivers and Catalyst control center. I then just did the whole driver update process again as described by Mr. boogah. The end result, A functioning Catalyst control center and functioning firegl v8650 drivers.

So far things seem to be working well. I am hoping to get access to a license for Pro/Engineer Wildfire 3.0 soon so I can really get a feel for if this softmod does anything. I'm currently too lazy to download and run Specviewperf. I just plan to bring up a rather large Pro/E model when I have the chance and see if I notice a difference from my memory of how it ran on the Geforce 8800GT (which didn't impress me compared to my older, slower computer with a Firegl V5000).

7. THE JEW (RaVeN)

THE JEW (RaVeN) Active Member

GPU:
    eVGA 6800GT softmodded to Quadro
    Excellent results.

Has anyone tried it on the 3850 yet? Or with Crossfire? Some of those dual or tri gpu cards might be fun to try out.

8. boogah

boogah Member Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 295 Quad-SLI

use this line in the INF for the 3850

"ATI FireGL V8650" = ati2mtag_R600GL, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9401

need someone with crossfire setup to help us test it out. Even with just one card the performance of the HD3870 with the FireGL mod is way more powerful than what you would need in real world environment.

9. Bananabomb

Bananabomb Member

GPU:
    ATI HD3870
    Probably, but unless the Maya selection bug isn't fixed it seems useless, isn't it? Or isn't it always there? I haven't fully understood why you guys seem to tolerate it. Are you using another program for modeling?

And since I haven't got a reply on my previous post: Is it possible to patch the driver that doesn't suffer from the problem? Sorry for the stupid questions. The whole procedure of how to patch the card isn't yet clear to me. I patched Geforce cards to Quadros before, but that seems to be alot easier.

10. NormanW

NormanW New Member

Still no luck regarding XP64, it appears that the mod for XP32 and the 8.44 driver is quite mature and everyone is patching without any problem.

*bashes head against wall*

11. Bananabomb

Bananabomb Member

GPU:
    ATI HD3870
  12. Bananabomb

Bananabomb Member

GPU:
    ATI HD3870
    After a short Maya session I can affirm the selection lag. It's worse than I imagined. I thought the scene would hang after you select vertices, but I can't rotate and transform either the viewport and neither the object itself without random hangs. Once stuff is moving the performance is very good but all in all it's impractical. Hopefully someone can provide a patch script for the aforementioned driver version soon.

13. godfrey161984

godfrey161984 Member

GPU:
    Here are my test report

# viewperfresult.txt
    # test weight frames/sec
    1 11.00 224.0
    2 11.00 103.0
    3 11.00 87.30
    4 11.00 236.0
    5 12.00 400.0
    6 11.00 257.0
    7 11.00 226.0
    8 11.00 225.0
    9 11.00 482.0
    * Composite Score : 221.13 :cheers:

my score is less than others coz my Q6600 is at stock and also my 3870 is also at stock....also i have 2GB of RAM which is running at 800MHz

14. NormanW

NormanW New Member

All you have to do to get rid of the selection lag is
    Locate the Maya.env file usually under your My Document/Maya/(whatever maya version) directory

Then add in the following instruction

set environment variable MAYA_NO_VERTEX_ARRAY_SELECT = 1

Then you're good to go!

15. Bananabomb

Bananabomb Member

GPU:
    ATI HD3870
    Doesn't work for me. The selection lag gets reduced to about three seconds but that is still impractical. Has noone succeeded in patching the 8.391.2.1.1 driver? I tried it with the 8.44 patchscript but it didn't work.

16. vijaynair

vijaynair Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS 320MB
    So, I guess that the bugs present in the 2XXX mod resurfaces with the 3XXX mod. So dissapointing!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  17. NormanW

NormanW New Member

I dont think that's the problem....

I have a 8800GT that runs on computability mode so it doesnt crash, and as soon as i add in that instruction it goes one without a hitch as far as selection lag is concerned. I still cant get 3D images on my secondary screen, but at least i dont have to worry about it crashing on me

18. Bananabomb

Bananabomb Member

GPU:
    ATI HD3870
    I thought the selection lag is widely known as being a bug with the 8.44 driver. It's confirmed by Autodesk (see http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=2632916&postcount=8 ). That's exactly what's happening on my machine and it renders Maya totally unuseable.

I'll try the normal 3870 8.2 cat drivers, or probably it works with the new driver fix that was recently published by ATI. Normal 3870 performance is a thousand times better than these lags and nice SpecViewperf scores don't mean a thing if the driver is broken.

But why hasn't there been a fix? It's such an expensive, professional card and it doesn't work with popular professional software for months?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  19. Qwesto

Qwesto New Member

GPU:
    ati 4870 1gb
    can it be?

I´ve found a GeCube HD3870 X-Turbo III (Retail, TV-Out, 2xDVI)
    @
    http://www.alternate.de/html/product/details.html?articleId=256464

it seems to have 1024mb! But the gecube website only showed the
    HD3870 X-Turbo III with 512mb! can somebody review it? found it anywhere else???:pc1:

anybody eleminated the maya selection bug using driver 8.391.2.1.1???
    can it be used on a modded 3870@firestream?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
  20. kilema

kilema Master Guru

GPU:
    3870x2 @ V7700-XP64-8.633
    still waiting for 3870 --> FireGL to work in WinXP 64 :bang: