3870X2 Crossfire Upgrade

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Lahomer, Mar 18, 2008.

1. worthy

worthy Master Guru

GPU:
    2 ATI hd 4870 512s
    Cool, I was about to suggest NB volts or something else.

I get to 3.7 on the maximus without screwing with anything else.
    Sometimes you get a bord that is easy with everything, sometimes you don't.
    I know a few guys who have rma'd my board and never got anywhere.

It's all up in the air. Your q6600 is an SLACR right?

2. Lahomer

Lahomer Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX280 SLI 680/1463/1215
    You mean g0 ? if so yes

Lowered down the multiplier to 8x now runing @ 1.475 voltage still stable will try lower.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2008
  3. Rob Halford

Rob Halford Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 CFX
    Both the 680 / 780 have had a lot of problems related to OC-ing Quad cores and the situation you are describing is very familiar. For more information I would recommend that you search the EVGA forum or go over at XS to have a look there as well. This is the reason I (and many with me) avoid Nvidia chipset MOBOs...

4. keldererik

keldererik Active Member

GPU:
    2x 3870X2 1GB Crossfire X
    I can't believe how much value 3dmark06 still is for people. Come on man, it's about real life performance, not a benchmark from 2006. We are living in 2008 !!!!

Look at the 9800GX2, almost no gain with a second 9800GX2 in 3dmark06, but in crysis it almost DOUBLES the performance. This is an example how useless 3dmark is today.

5. Redawgc187

Redawgc187 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 470 X3
    I completly agree about 3dmark 06 I cannot believe that at one time I used to upgrade around that benchmark thinking if I got better scores on 3dmark 06. My games would run better. What in the world was I thinking these new X2 cards really do show how pointless that benchmark was and prolly always has been. In real live game situations I have awesome gameplay maxed settings AA AF and no stutters. But if you went soley on my
    3dmark 06 score you would think this machine could barley handle new generation games which is so far from the truth. I play everything I have at max res and max setting's except for Crysis but hell NASA and Japan are still trying for that with little success. It was an article I found in game informer about crysis thought you all would get a kick out of it.

6. Redawgc187

Redawgc187 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 470 X3
  7. keldererik

keldererik Active Member

GPU:
    2x 3870X2 1GB Crossfire X
    lmao that crysis and nasa must be a joke :nerd::O

8. worthy

worthy Master Guru

GPU:
    2 ATI hd 4870 512s
    DET DRAM anyone?:wanker:

Never seen a board with worse ram "incompatibility" ever, which is really just their euphemism for "we don't know how to make out junk work with ram.

I gave poor "ramguy" on corsair forums hell before I figured out nvidia chipsets sucked. Sent back a lot of good ram too.

9. worthy

worthy Master Guru

GPU:
    2 ATI hd 4870 512s
    There are people like myself who treat 3dmark as a game. I guess it lies along the lines of finding more performance in your machine to get a higher score which is indeed a challenge. A lot more of a challenge to me than crysis ever was since I beat crysis within the first few days I had it.

There is no beating 3dmark. There is only topping the score of the guy next to you. For some that is fun and presents more of a challenge than crysis ever will.

Perception is everything, and for every toilet seat, there's an ass.

People might want to keep an open eye toward futuremark since their plan is to actually start developing games. When they do, it might just indeed be a very good thing.

It's really redundant to hear the same old statements about 3dmark because many take the whole thing out of context. Yes, granted it came out in 06, but ironically I still hear these same statements coming from people with the same scores they got back in 06. ahaha.

In reference to crysis, one only has to custom tailor the game to their system to get the framerates they want. I don't have any problems with this at all after spending some time playing around with it. But like I said, after beating the game, there is really no kind of draw for me anymore.

Try cryconfig. It's a good program. I get very good scaling with crysis after tweaking it to my system...for all it's worth.

10. Redawgc187

Redawgc187 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 470 X3
    No Nasa is really trying to run Crysis at max settings there was a lengthy article in game informer I luaghed my A$$ off but it's real.

11. Redawgc187

Redawgc187 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 470 X3
    I do think 3dmark 06 has value but not really something to live by like I used to. Futuremark as a game develepor now thats wicked awesome I would definatley use their benchmarks to determine performance against their games. The problem with using one benchmark is that there are so many different 3D extentions that are used DX 6,7,8,9, 10 Shader model 1.- 4.1 mip map etc, etc, Openglide and still a ton more every game is coded different and optimized for some the above mentioned extentions. The 3dmark 06 is very limited while yes Shader model 2.0 and 3.0 are included a ton are left out. However yes it is the best pc penis measuring stick out there lol. It's just in my opinion unless they benchmark ever aspect and using all extentions which would take forever to run BTW. I just guess my benchmarking days are over. But what you mentioned about futuremark now we all have something to look forward to. The only reason I mentioned Crysis after reading that in game informer I just had to post it somewhere.

12. Lahomer

Lahomer Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX280 SLI 680/1463/1215
    Lol i think i have to rma one 8800 ultra, everything was working fine till yesterday morning. I wanted to turn on my system and it just go's on for one second then off. The problem seems to be the first videocard, tryed it in my other system as soon as i put in the videocard the motherboard goes on and off for 1 second (so it has to be the videocard). Very wierd anyone has a idea what it is ? videocard was never overclocked :(

13. Redawgc187

Redawgc187 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 470 X3
    Could be to much of a power drain on boot. Try just one card if it does not happen that may be your problem or if you have a multimeter and know how to check the rails I would do that instead.

14. Redawgc187

Redawgc187 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 470 X3
    But you are more than likley correct the issue is probably the video card just something to check.

15. Lahomer

Lahomer Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX280 SLI 680/1463/1215
    Tryed the videocard in 3 rig's same result other videocard is running fine in both pci slots. So it has to be the videocard ...

16. V1pwred

V1pwred Active Member

GPU:
    ATI 2900xt/2900pro @ 806/927 24/7
    How do you score close to 20k with 2x2900xt and a q6600 @ 3.6, I cant even hit 20k with my q6600 @ 4.0 and both 2900xt's at 861/1143...19774 best I've made