Help Please ! 4600+ vs K8N-Pro

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Cakeypig, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Cakeypig

Cakeypig Member

GPU:
    ATI HD3850 Pro 256meg
    I am completely new to overclocking, but have read around the subject.
    I am trying to get a mild overclock on my x2 4600, currently at the default 2.4 gig. It is sat on a Gigabyte K8N-Pro Sli board with the latest F9 Bios, with the standard AMD cooler. I have a P180 case with all fans running set to low, and a nice clear, tidy case.

I have upped the FSB (or the equivalent thing) to 210, and the machine boots through to desktop fine, but IE will fail, and 3dMark 06 shuts with an error before the first test has loaded.

I have altered the CPU/memory divider to 166, and changed the HTT thing to x4 times, all with no joy. If i can't get a 10mhz increase on the FSB, I must be doing something badly wrong?

Oh, and finally, my RAM is Kingston value matched 4x 512Meg PC800 DDR ram.
    I know this isn't overclockers RAM, but surely there must be a little bit of overhead in it?

Any help gratefully recieved. Cheers.

2. EDogg007

EDogg007 Guest

I used to have that board and it sucked big time overclocking i would not even bother overclocking with that board. Mind this was with both and 4000+ and an Opty 165. I had Corsair Platinum ram too and did not help at all. Also Nforce 4 Board don't overlclock all that well with a four ram slots occupied.

3. Cakeypig

Cakeypig Member

GPU:
    ATI HD3850 Pro 256meg
    Thanks very much for your observations. Sadly, I bought the board because it was supposed to enable decent tweaks. This is sadly not the case.

It even locks up hard when i use gigabytes own overclocking software. The Nforce tuning software can't get a 210 fsb to work either.

I don't see any reason for the moment to upgrade, my PC works fine for all games @1280 full details (except Crysis of course), although I know a C2D would get more out of my 8800GTS 640.

It seems that the CPU, memory and MB manufacturers all want you to overclock their hardware, there is plenty of extra room. My experience has shown that they could make it an awful lot easier to do it though.

4. Lain

Lain Guest

GPU:
    HD5970 @ 950/1200MHz
    did you lock your PCI bus to 33 MHz?

5. EDogg007

EDogg007 Guest

yes and it did not make a difference at all