Forceware 174.40 XP 32bit modded .inf by me

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Rich_Guy, Mar 12, 2008.

1. FrenchKiss

FrenchKiss Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX 4090 XLR8
    Ok I give it a try with this INF. Thx for your help.

2. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Works fine here, tested it in BF2, R6:vegas & Farcry.

3. J.M.

J.M. Banned

GPU:
    8800GT 512MB 756/1890/2000Mhz 1.1V
    Thank you.

4. wiskerbizkit

wiskerbizkit Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850
    i actually made a 174 set for my clan at rngd.net but they bring AGP cards to their knees.

5. F_L_C

F_L_C Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7800GS
    I've installed every one of the 174 series drivers on my 7800GS AGP and performance is equal to or better then 169.xx.

6. FrenchKiss

FrenchKiss Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX 4090 XLR8
    Ok I installed them for the second time with your .inf F_L_C. Mmmm no crash so far. I don't wanna be hasty, but I played 1H of lineage 2, no crash. Then 1H of W40k SoulStorm and no problems too. Finally watched a movie, still stable. I will keep them and report within the next hours / days if I encounter any issue.

Thx F_L_C ;)
    (using the International release)

7. F_L_C

F_L_C Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7800GS
    That's confusing. I didn't expect that to work because the 174.12 and 174.40 G92 parameters (under the [headings] labeled "nv4_G9x") are exactly the same. Can other 8800GT owners confirm this?

8. ace11

ace11 Member

I own 8800GT and that *did NOT* solved the freezes and crashes.
    Back to 174.12

9. HarryRag

HarryRag Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX680-DC2O-2GD5
    these where far the worst for me of the 17X serie, cod4 had been humping, jumping almost freezing all over.

back to the 169.44 beta's

those lines have been the same since the release of the 9x00 nvidia drivers.

the core of a 9600 is just a tuned up version of the 8800 GT(s) core

10. F_L_C

F_L_C Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7800GS
    Well, it seems there might be some hope. 174.51 Vista seems to work for 8800GT so maybe the XP version of it will too (if it even exists and gets leaked). Until then, looks like you guys are stuck w/ 174.12.

11. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    HQ disables the ability to turn on any of the optimizations.

12. Googashlak

Googashlak Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 275 1792MB
    Sorry FLC but your method didn't work for me. It crashed just like before. Right now yeah I'm back to 174.12.

13. Menion

Menion Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Radeon 5870
    Quality have always been the recommended/default setting from nvidia. Nothing wrong with that since there's not that much of a difference to the human eye between High Quality and Quality, but a big hit on performance.

14. Turbovx

Turbovx New Member

GPU:
    Gforce 8800GTS 640
    Solid on 8800GTS 640

Been using this set on Quake 4, UT3 and Oblivion and find them pretty smooth. Havn't done any benchmarks but since the games are running smooth I'm not too worried, all other 174xx drivers have had mixed results.
    edit. just did a test run with 3D06 and got 11663 which is good for this rig.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  15. FrenchKiss

FrenchKiss Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX 4090 XLR8
    Ok I can say now, they are stable as rock now. Not even a single issue. I've been playing Lineage during 6 hours, no crash. It used to crash every 10mn before. Keepers now ^^

16. FrenchKiss

FrenchKiss Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX 4090 XLR8
    Mmmm maybe for you, but I use a 24" wide screen and I can say that when I set it to Quality, I can see the difference! It's easy to see with anisotropic filtering x16 activated on large textures, it becomes blurry and fuzzy from a certain distance. All games using Unreal Engine 2 suffer of this loss of quality. But yeah, it's my perception. Most ppl can't see the difference indeed.

17. Menion

Menion Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Radeon 5870
    I can see the difference as well. But the difference is not big enough that it's worth the loss in performance... That's what I was trying to point out, and that's also the reason as to why nVIDIA have set Quality as default/recommended setting. :)

18. Hardzsi

Hardzsi Member

GPU:
    MSI 8800GTX@621/1458/972 (Rop/Sh/M)
    This driver is very nice, even compared to 174.12, my previous favourite.
    Tested with Crysis (1680x1050 vhq) and DiRT (fullHD), both run great. Also, according to Crysis bench, this seems to be the fastest one. Alcom also mentioned, that for UT3, this is also the fastest driver.
    Found no problem since, so keepers for me.

19. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    anybody tested FEAR combat with these, i meant in terms of smoothness lol ^^

cuz i have 169.21 whql and they seemed great...

20. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090

Its actually better to have Quality settings enabled instead of High Quality as the difference in visual quality is literally unoticable, but the performance gains are around 5-8fps. Also using the filtering optimisations really help in alot of games where textures are heavily used and also you use alot of AF as well. The quality with 174.xx drivers seems to be very good. So keeping these enabled will help boost fps by around 10-12fps and when you are playing a game like Crysis you need all the fps you can get.