Powercolor AGP HD 3850

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Paladinchan, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Benito82

Benito82 Member

GPU:
    Powercolor Hd3850 AGP 512
    Wow...that worked flawless!! You`re my hero Spathi ;)

Just sad that ATI can't do this themselfs after 2 months time...it takes just 5 minutes really..shame on the lousy driver support.

2. motor

motor Banned

I see were this is all going. I bet soon it will be up to the video card makers to supply their own drivers for their cards. The point being that when you want to upgrade, the main reason you may chose this one over that one will be that they supply great drivers. The driver will only work with that one card and cannot be hacked to work with another brand. No more free games in the box just great drivers. This may seem crazy but it only thing that comes to mind in this time of driver hell.

3. Spathi

Spathi Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax GTX980 V2
    The PowerColor drivers are on their ftp server. hmmm. I suspect they will work better than the ATI ones. Each card probably has something slightly different so Manufacturer drivers are probably better until each Card Makers shows ATI what they have done. Which is probably why they are not in official drivers yet.

ftp://driver1.cptech.com.tw/Driver/ati847/
    The download seems faster!

I am testing them tonight. I am thinking they might be better.

4. arctic89

arctic89 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 3850AGP
    Heres a way to install it without editing anything. Hope this Helps! :)

Windows XP 32bit
    A. Install Drivers
    1. Get official driver only cat 8.3 here.
    2. Run it so that it extracts to where ever you want but when the next screen pops up click cancel.
    3. Goto device manager > graphics adapter > update drivers...
    a. Click no i'll update and find it myself for the next screens then click install from specific location.
    4. Browse to X:\ATI\SUPPORT\8-3_xp32_dd_59746\XP_INF\CX_59746.inf
    5. Scroll down a little till you find "ATI Radeon HD 3850" click next and YES.
    6. Reboot

B. Install ATI CCC (Optional)
    1. Need to install driver first see above.
    2. Get official CCC 8.3 only here
    3. Run it and install as usual.
    4. Reboot

Now you have the latest drivers and working CCC for your 3850 agp.
    Some might say as it doesn't list as AGP it will not work but i have the card and everything works fine, including overdrive!
    Screenies
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have tried the above for vista but it will not install CCC. If you only want the drivers though use the above method A.

Windows Vista 32bit
    1. Need to install 3850 agp sapphire drivers first. Get them here for XP and Vista.
    2. Once they are installed CCC should be working in Vista on the next reboot.
    3. Get vista driver only cat 8.3 here
    4. Run it so that it extracts to where ever you want but when the next screen pops up click cancel.
    5. Update the drivers manually by going to device manager > graphics adapter > update drivers...
    6. Click no i'll update and find it myself for the next screens then click install from specific location.
    7. Browse to X:\ATI\SUPPORT\8-3_vista32_dd_59752\Packages\Drivers\Display\LH_INF\CL_59752.inf
    8. Scroll down a little till you find "ATI Radeon HD 3850" click next and YES.
    9. Reboot

Now you have latest drivers for vista and working CCC!
    Screenies
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh and yes DX10 works with games like Bioshock and Crysis that supports it!
    I get around 45+ fps with DX10 surface details with Bioshock, in crysis with everything set to very high no AA i get 5-25fps, both games @ 1280x1024.

edit:
    I dont have 64bit versions of xp/vista so i cant say for sure if it works but the way to install it is pretty much the same just remember to get the correct driver/ccc links.

For the vista with ccc, those are sapphire drivers so if you have a powercolor agp card just get the latest from there site and update to 8.3 using instructions above. You could just use the sapphire drivers on the powercolor card but it may not work.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2008

5. arctic89

arctic89 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 3850AGP
    Heres my 3dmark06 score, i can almost smell 9000! OCed to 715/945 (it says 720/950 in overdrive but i think thats wrong):biggun:
    [​IMG]

Got the zalman vf900cu so temps stay a cozy 28 idle 60 load OCed!

6. Spathi

Spathi Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax GTX980 V2
    I understand that is how most people do it, but the msi's etc contain separate references to 9515 things and the subsystem number is also different, so you are running the 9505 PCIe install and hoping it has everything. I suppose the other way I am running the AGP install and hoping it has everything as well.

I think the only time I got a good fill rate in a certain benchmark tool was by running the a powercolor install or maybe it has been broken since cat8.1. I will double check tonight.

7. Spathi

Spathi Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax GTX980 V2
    This post explains what I am on about for fill rate... test your fill rate in "Final Reality". Links are in that thread.
    http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=5483672&postcount=79
    Every single ATI driver I have tried has had a 'Final Reality' fill rate of less than 17MPixels/s except for the second PowerColor Beta which had 997MPixels/s (EDIT: actually it is 1997 or something as it is cut off. !!! WHICH IS EXACTLY 1/5 of the ring bus!!! well now that makes more sense)

Also the AGP fps sucks if you test it in this, but it is not needed anyway, so don't stress over that. Also Final Reality is really old, so it is definitely not using the card properly (like maybe 1/5th of the pipelines) so do not read too much into it. I still think it is a good test though and I still would like to know what is going on... so if any guru's run Final Reality and get what is happening feel free to explain.

(EDIT: see above EDIT lol, anyway Final Reality is correct. If you use the PowerColor drivers for the PowerColor card you will get the right fill rate. So it looks like these ATI driver hacks are a waste of time.

I still don't get why the 3D scenes are slow, it probably has to do with the ringbus as well.)

8. Imperious

Imperious Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward Phoenix GTX1070
    Things do seem to be looking a little better, especially if the latest official drivers can be installed. Doesn't really matter to me if it's a bit of messing around to get it working.
    But I suppose the most important thing is how does it stack up against a pcie 3850 as far as driver compatibility with software goes, are they much the same or are there still AGP issues?

9. Spathi

Spathi Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax GTX980 V2
    Issues? No idea, I seem to be able to play games. PCIe vs AGP install... as long as you have you motherboard chipset drivers sorted you should be fine.

I don't know why the fill rate test in FR does not work all the time, I just tried all the drivers and ended back at 8.3. Could not get the Pixel Fill Rate test to run on any of them anymore (17fps just means something really bad happens I think, maybe it is FR but I doubt it, maybe my card). Has anybody else tried?

Anyone know of a benchmark for pixel fill rate? 3DMark only has texture fill rates.

p.s. powercolor drivers are just ATI's now, so you need to hack them.

10. Spathi

Spathi Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax GTX980 V2
    hmmm, tried a few more games and only getting 30fps when I used to get 60fps easy with old nvidea cards 5 years ago. I guess ATI cards just suck big time or maybe it is the dx10 thing.

11. LordVampyre

LordVampyre Guest

Artic89 that worked perfectly. I thank you very much.

12. arctic89

arctic89 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 3850AGP
    Ya tested multi texturing fill rate in 3dmark2001 and its fine. Got a benchie for pixel fillrates?
    Do you mean like older games your getting lower fps then even your old nvidia card? Which games would that be?

13. Pandaman

Pandaman New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 3850 AGP 512 MB
    I wish there were some way to force the latest CCC so I could use those new options for Vista. GPU scaling sounds really cool..

14. Spathi

Spathi Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax GTX980 V2
    pixel fillrate not texturing fillrate.

The game I am talking about is continuum, I play it on and off. You can press CTL-F to see the framerate.

From what a few people are saying... the problem is the effective fillrate for most existing games for this card is only 2000MPixels/Sec not 10000 because the ringbus is not scaler and requires games to split up 3D rendering (something like that, it is beyond my knowledge). Future games and games that have been patched will get more than 2000.

So this card is not CPU bound it is design bound for most things. Maybe it will work in DX10.1 better, but I doubt it. Going to try that next. Well at least I will know what to watch out for when I get a new PC one day. I suppose all I wanted to do this year and next is play a few first person shooters, so it will do that really well. It does make most things more playable in terms of visual effects but the 2000MPixels thing for these stock standard games is a real pain.

15. xixou

xixou Guest

GPU:
    inno3d 1070 3x (4)

16. El Duderino

El Duderino New Member

GPU:
    HD3850 (agp)
    Thanks xixou, but why would not overclocking work?

17. TDurden

TDurden Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    I am thinking about buying 3850 AGP, can any of you with this card do a Crysis GPU benchmark so I could compare to my 1950Pro?
    Preferably with 1280x1024 resolution with Medium AND High setting too.
    Thanks.
    Crysis GPU benchmark is not so much affected by the CPU as real game performance, so it would be still interesting to see results from single core CPU systems, but if you have a dual core CPU and Radeon 3850 AGP, PLEASE do a benchmark, as the stock here is running out :)
    Thanks again.

18. xixou

xixou Guest

GPU:
    inno3d 1070 3x (4)
    No idea, the tab is grayed out.

19. Rodiac

Rodiac Member

GPU:
    HIS HD 3850 256mb GDDR3
    Nice, I've been waiting for the HIS version :) Anyone know the release date?

20. TDurden

TDurden Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    I am looking at the Club3D version of the card.
    [​IMG]
    It seems to have a better cooler than the Sapphire card.