610fsb on a p965 on AIR!!!!

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Smellybumlove, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Smellybumlove

Smellybumlove Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD4830x2 crossfire
    [​IMG]

my god is this board that good?.
    this guy has offered it to me for under £80!

2. Chock

Chock Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x670GTX @40"+26" Samsung
    is that even stable? :)

3. Smellybumlove

Smellybumlove Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD4830x2 crossfire
    yeah the guy posted a 21 minute orthos test at 612fsb!!

4. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    That FSB is higher than most processors come stock... That's incredible. I can't imagine how it would do with more extreme cooling measures.

5. worthy

worthy Master Guru

GPU:
    2 ATI hd 4870 512s
    The Asus Commando for the most part is not as great as you would think.
    On ASUS forums I have read a lot of doo doo tha happens to them.
    But this is not the board talking. this is the work of a knowledgeable overclocker I would like to believe.

I have found that when approached by a knowledgeable overclocker, one finds that you don't need near as much voltage on everything as people would be led to believe in achieving a pretty good overclock like you see there, but rather the right combination of voltages throughout the board. not just a cranked up vcore. A cranked up vcore is newb stuff.

I would be curious to see the vcore though which is not present in the CPUz before I draw any conclusions on the work done to get it there, or whether the board is "god's board".

You get good and bad boards with every manufacturer.

Additionally, a lot of boards seem to be able to get a good FSB as a result of a lower multi. q6600s I have found in general do not like a 9 multi near as much as an 8.

6. Kain

Kain Ancient Guru

Hi bro.
    Kevins E8400 is actually some kind of a Golden one.

@WORTHY.
    Its not really that youre going to see a lot of 600 FSB CPUs on air. Even the ASUS Commando is not the best mobo out there, I can bet you cant do that on P35 that easy.

As you say, vCore is not important on this, since the results goes to 3.6ghz but the knlowdge on how AGTL vs CPU VTT and vNB can do the right combination on the good motherboard to make it.
    Now, if you take a tweakers board like DFI LT UT P35, then I must say you will probably manage 600 FSB also.

Finally, youre right one the multix. As explained on anandtech by Rajinder Gill, the multiplier takes a very important load for the MCH taking it to the point it has no sense to boost the vNB to keep it going unless for OCing sessions and benchmarking. 6x is easier for most of the mobos, but also, almost all of the times you dont suceed, its not mothyerboards fault, but CPUs fault.
    Since Wolfdale in general are actually more difficult to go up for FSB than Conroe, 600 FSB is pretty much a good (very good) start.

Greetings Guru3d.
    Kain

7. worthy

worthy Master Guru

GPU:
    2 ATI hd 4870 512s
    Hey Kain,

Everything I have seen on at least the x38 tells me there is a wall at around 500fsb and 510 for a q6600 and e6600 respectively, so I agree. I have payed no attention to the p35 as to be honest this is my first intel system in a while. (don't tell anyone) :)

I do not however have any experience with wolfies or yorkies so I can't comment there. But I can learn and nod my head "ok". lol

But most of the overclocks I see at that speed in any case are ridiculously hot on air where even if the machine has some semblance of stability, the temps are pushing the limits of better judgement.

But that is why I was so amazed when I learned that voltages on these chips in a lot of cases don't need to be that high at all in the hands of someone "in the know" so even a 600 fsb doesn't shock me anymore by that virtue.

It is quite possible that next year a 600fsb might be looked at like 400 fsb on a quad is to us now....with low voltage to boot.

Just a guess if the trend continues at this pace.

8. TroM

TroM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD6850 OC
    Just wait till I get my E6750 to 4 Ghz on air...WAIT....someday

9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Whats the northbridge cooling? LN2? :p