Cooling for 3850 AGP

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by chas1723, Feb 26, 2008.

1. chas1723

chas1723 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Windforce GTX670
    I recently upgraded to a Sapphire HD 3850 AGP. I finally got this thing to work thanks to the thread on here about the Powercoler version of this card. Now my question....what would be a good aftermarket HSF for this card? Thermalright HR-03 (which version?) with fan, Thermalright V2 with fan, Thermaltake Duorb, or Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 Rev 2 with turbo module. Any others that would be better?

Also, I noticed on the back of the card, there is a chip that has what looks like thermal adhesive on it but no heat sink. What is this and would it be better to have a heat sink on it? How about the Thermalright HR-11 high riser? Would it work there?

Thanks for helping a NOOB out.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
  2. InfDaMarvel

InfDaMarvel Guest

GPU:
    HD3850 256mb
    Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 is what Id get.

But umm could you post a picture of your card or somthing for we can see it. You kinda gotta guess with the agp versions of some cards because they are all not supported and come with different builds.

3. chas1723

chas1723 Member Guru

GPU:
  4. InfDaMarvel

InfDaMarvel Guest

GPU:
    HD3850 256mb
    Well then, looks ok from a quick glance of it. Id get it because I know I can always sent it back lol.

5. chas1723

chas1723 Member Guru

GPU:
    What about cooling for the memory on it? Will I need to get something separate or will that come with it already?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
  6. arctic89

arctic89 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 3850AGP
    Either ARCTIC COOLING ACCELS1 Rev 2 or ZALAM VF900-CU should be able to cool your 3850 agp better then the single slot stock cooler. The pink thermal thingy is covering the Rialto bridge chip, it translate pcie signals into agp and i think they can get quite hot.

7. chas1723

chas1723 Member Guru

GPU:
    So you think the Railto bridge needs some cooling. Would the HR-11 high riser work there?

I was also looking at that Zalman VF900-cu...I had the 700 on my Nvidia 6800gt and it worked great.

Thanks for the info.

8. InfDaMarvel

InfDaMarvel Guest

GPU:
    HD3850 256mb
    I personally dont think it needs anymore cooling that it already has. When do you think its going to heat up?

9. chas1723

chas1723 Member Guru

GPU:
    It just looks like it is supposed to have something over the top of it. It looks to have thermal tape on it already. I am not sure what that would be for other than hooking a HS to. I was not sure that is why I asked.

10. InfDaMarvel

InfDaMarvel Guest

GPU:
    HD3850 256mb
    I wouldnt even bother with it...you could throw a ram sink on it if you rlly wanted.

11. chas1723

chas1723 Member Guru

GPU:
    I am having a hard time finding the AC Accels1 rev 2. Any other suggestions for this card?

12. InfDaMarvel

InfDaMarvel Guest

GPU:
    HD3850 256mb
    VF900 or VF1000

13. RETROKOMODO

RETROKOMODO Guest

GPU:
    AGP HP 3850
    Very VERY dead thread I know, but if there's any interest I have just popped a video on YouTube where i've replaced the stock cooler on an AGP HD 3850. I used an Arctic Accelero L2 Plus which I found second hand, and for further testing i've now ordered an Akasa Vortexx Neo AK-VC03-BLUV, and an Arctic Cooling Accelero Twin Turbo Pro with no fans. I'll test again comparing all three, and with the Twin Turbo i'll test with and without fans. As it happens I have two AGP HD 3850 cards and the other has stock cooling, so I can compare them all against that as a base line. This time i'll use my thermal camera to check on chip temps etc as well

Anyway, thoroughly un-scientific acoustic and thermal comparisons toward the end of the video -

14. Back in my day we didn't need (or have) YouTube videos to take off simple fans from ATi cards.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2022
    sykozis likes this.
  15. RETROKOMODO

RETROKOMODO Guest

GPU:
    AGP HP 3850
    True, but I just managed to get my 3850 down to 45 degrees max load, so that info might be useful to someone ;) Video up hopefully today

16. RETROKOMODO

RETROKOMODO Guest

GPU:
    AGP HP 3850
    Video now up - - 45 degrees using a RAIJINTEK Morpheus 8057 usually used on things like a 2080Ti

17. RETROKOMODO

RETROKOMODO Guest

GPU:
    AGP HP 3850
    Probably not much interest these days, but I also just put on an Akasa Vortexx Neo cooler which cost £9.95 new from eBay. Stress tested using Furmark at 1080p for 5 mins, and it went from idles of 31 degrees up to a perfectly acceptable 54 degrees. A bit of a faff to fit because of a heatsink toward the rear of the card, but it can be modified so the cooler fits!