XBOX 360 with Bluray, would you get it?

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by (IRE)Wolfman, Feb 19, 2008.

?

Would you get a 360 with Bluray

1. No, i only play games

9 vote(s)
    28.1%
  2. No, the dvd is fine

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. No, it would be to expensive

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Yes, i'm loaded and have a hd tv

14 vote(s)
    43.8%
  1. (IRE)Wolfman

(IRE)Wolfman Guest

GPU:
    AMD 5700xt or 6700x
    It was a question for 360 owners really.

When i had a 360, i had the hd dvd too. Bluray is 10 times better.

And HDdvd is dead now too:banana:

2. Sprecker

Sprecker Guest

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    How is Blu-ray 10x better? The only thing it has over HD-DVD is support and that's it. HD-DVD is equal if not better technically than Blu-ray. A shame it got the ax. Oh well.

3. (IRE)Wolfman

(IRE)Wolfman Guest

GPU:
    AMD 5700xt or 6700x
    IMO.

I had the HDDrive for the 360.

@ all res(720p,1080p) it didn't seem much better than an upscaled dvd.

Yet bluray, on the other hand to me had better sound and picture.

Maybe the 360 model isn't that good? It might have been that hdmi improved things?

But my 360 was a launch model.

4. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    I already have a PS3 for Blu-Ray..dont need another.

My 360 is only used for 360 only titles anyway.

5. fischju

fischju Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek Radeon HD 4850
    I would buy a blu-ray addon. Then connect it to my PC.

@ A couple posts up. Blu-Ray does have something HD DVD doesn't. Blu-Ray has very hard to crack DRM. That is why the studios choose it.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  6. Leatherface

Leatherface Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GTS (stock)
    Actually the HDMI does make a difference, I have my 360 and HD-DVD addon connected to my HDTV via HDMI and it makes a ton of difference. If i didn't have a PS3 i would buy the Blue-ray addon.

7. weston

weston Guest

GPU:
    GTX 275
    even if it was only $100 more for a PS3? come on...That's pretty cheap for a lot of exclusive games you could get then. I'm guessing down the road a year or two a PS3 game will come out that you would want, but then you'd have to spend the full price and have a extra blu-ray player.

Now, if it works like the HD-DVD add on and hooks straight to the computer, then It would be a great buy! I'd take a blu-ray player for that price, but still would be better just to spend a little more for a PS3

8. (IRE)Wolfman

(IRE)Wolfman Guest

GPU:
    AMD 5700xt or 6700x
    I'd buy a 2nd ps3 instead!
    And use it for FAH.

9. weston

weston Guest

GPU:
    GTX 275
  10. Jamesusg

Jamesusg Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 8800gts 320
    Can’t they just update the firmware so hd-dvd can playback Blu-Ray discs ?

11. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    lol..its uses a different type (config) of laser.

12. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    only if they released a version with the blu-ray and a version without blu-ray (which can then be brought as an add-on like the hd-dvd player) I like choice in my products I buy (hence why i like building PC's) unlike Sony who basically forcefeed you new technology and they learnt the hard way with UMD.

13. JxL

JxL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMR FirePro Dual D500
    Well, i cant really blame them for "feeding us" new technology. Its like saying "why did they put a 9800GTX/quadcore in my PC if none of the games use it to full?".

We get new technology for minimum price (i mean come on, a powerful gaming machine AND a frikkin bluray player for £30 extra than 360). Just because microsoft has made mistake not to include HD drive, doesn't mean Sony made a wrong move. I'm very glad its already included as i don't need to spend more ££ to watch a high def movie. Besides i cant see how Sony could "give you a choice" with bluray drives, as its not just movies, its the games that are ALL made on bluray.

Consoles are not like PC's. You cant keep upgrading new parts as you go along (having choices). Sony put more technology in so it "lasts longer". I cant wait for finished version of Gran Turismo 5, its gonna be a massive game, and im sure bluray will help to store all the laps and cars (by the time it comes out PS3 will probably be able to read 100GB discs with simple forceware updates, not that GT will use it all, but it may help).

Why all the complaining? I'm sick of all the PS3 bashing without any basic knowledge and intelligence....

:bang:

14. Nafta

Nafta Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7950/HD4000 MVP
    I agree, this forum is full of Sony haters/bashers.

@ CPC_RedDawn

So what OS are you FORCED to have on your PC to play games on?

15. demon148

demon148 Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 512mb 8800GT
    yeah it is right all those Sony fans that complain and hate Microsoft, when they probably nearly all have Windows on their PCs, if they hated MS so much probably should change OS.

Still I miss my HD DVD drive, but if they make a Blu-Ray addon then yeah I'm getting it.

16. JxL

JxL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMR FirePro Dual D500
    True, fanboy'ism goes both ways. I dont really see why PS3 owners would HATE microsoft. If not for the competition, PS3 would still be incredibly overpriced. I think its 360 owners that should hate M$, for delivering a console which is what, almost guaranteed to fry within 3 years period? Sure there is extended warranty and etc, but it causes a lot of inconvenience for gamers.

17. dshramek

dshramek Guest

Reeeaaaallly? Hmm...I see LOTS of Blu-ray movies on the news sites....

18. adam watts

adam watts Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS 640MB
    oh :banana: didn't know they were so cheap for PC drives now. Although I would prefer the 360 one because the 360 does the encoding and allows me to use my pc while watching a movie or probably being able to use it for PC and 360.

19. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Personally, I can tell the difference between high def movies and regular dvd's. But it really depends on what you are viewing it on and the distance you are viewing it from. I have a 40" 1080p and if you are viewing it from 10+ feet away sure, you cant tell a difference between bluray/hd-dvd and regular DVD, however if you are like me and like to watch movies real close (1-5 feet) so it feels like you are in a theater, then you can definately tell a difference.

It also makes a difference in much larger screens (50+ inches and 1080p) when the pixels are larger than in smaller screens.

As far as getting the drive, I personally feel Mircosoft already missed the boat. Had they already put out an afforadable blu-ray drive for the 360 I wouldnt have purchased a PS3 to compliment my 360+Hd-dvd drive.

The only way it will sell well is if it is priced less than 175-120 buck.

The only good thing from blu-ray winning is I can't wait for closeout prices on HD-DVDs! 10-15 dollar high def movies FTW!

20. Thug

Thug Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I have a 360 and loads of games.
    I also have a Toshiba HD-DVD player and about 15 movies.
    Now that HD is to be phased out, i would also like to go Bluray, but dont fancy another box under my TV to be plugged in (the wife wouldnt like it).
    I have my 360, my HD-DVD, my Sky+ and my DVD recorder/hard drive sat there at the minute, and dont fancy yet another machine.

So, if the 360 came out with a bluray player built in, then yes, i would buy one. I would also buy a PS3 if it played HD as well as bluray. Either that, or wait for a dual stand alone player to come out at a decent price that can play bluray and HD discs.

As for people saying they cant see much of a difference between HD/BR and standard DVD, then i suggest you do what i did. I played HD KingKong and HD Planet Earth on my HD player. I borrowed the same, but SD, off my friend, and played them on my DVD recorder, at the same time as the HD version. I paused them at the same spots, and flicked between the 2 to see the difference. It was huge. HD was so much clearer and sharper. The colours were far better too. That was on a Samsung 40" TV, and also my friends 37" Phillips TV.
    If you watch HD then go back to SD, you realise just how bad SD is, even though it has never bothered you before.