GTX or ULTRA??

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by sephirothsinic, Feb 14, 2008.

1. sephirothsinic

sephirothsinic Member

GPU:
    Evga gforce 8800gtx Superclocked
    hello
    I'm running a qx9650 with 4 gb ddr2 1066
    I have an 8600 gts planning to softmod it to a quadro fx 4000
    Maya runs decently without the softmod and i'm getting a pathetic 6300 on 3Dmark..
    the video card is bottlenecking me for sure
    so, since i have it still on return policy, i would like to shift to a 8800GTX or Ultra and forget about the softmod to achieve the full potential of my rig...

please give me some suggestion about it, wich one is the best value/performance deal??

2. terencek

terencek Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 280 (715/1571/12
    Well, first, what kind of monitor do you have/what resolution do you keep it at? If you are going to be playing/working at lower resolutions (1280x1024) then, maybe save some $$ and go with the 8800 GTS 512MB, but if you have something like a 24" monitor and you have your resolution at 1920x1200, then get the GTX.

I bought an Ultra from Dell, but that was because the botched an order I had and I got an Ultra for $450. If it wasn't for that deal, I would have gotten a GTX. The performance increase isn't THAT great for the price.

You can overclock the GTX moderately to over the Ultra's stock, so it doesn't seem TOO much worth it to spend the extra $$.

Just my opinion, though. Anyone else have a take on the situation?

3. Belz

Belz Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD5870 1GB
    Get a 8800 GTS (G92) with 1Gb
    Same price-range as the GTX and beats the crap out of an Ultra

edit: oops sorry evga doesnt assemble those cards with 1Gb...

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  4. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    Fact is the 8800gtx is faster only once your really high resolution with aa/af enabled at high levels. The other fact is for the money get yourself the 8800gts 512 and overclock it for some serious performance. I currently own 2 8800gtx but at this time and date if I was to buy a new card right now it would be without a doubt the 8800 gts 512. Forget about the 1gb model it's pointless because of the gts 256bit interface. Now if your want to run games with alot of aa/af at high levels of resolution then of course the 8800gtx is by far the better solution; and trust me don't let anyone blow smoke up your anal cavity and tell you differently. Also a side note if you can wait a couple more months see what the new offerings are from nvidia. Oh and as far as the ultra vs gtx they are basically the same just need to overclock the gtx is all no biggie and less money.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008

5. terencek

terencek Member

GPU:
    Now this guy's got a good point!

If you got time, then wait for the 9800GTX, if you're in a rush, this guy has steered you right!

6. sephirothsinic

sephirothsinic Member

GPU:
    Alright guys so we found out that the 8800 GTX is the final solution!!

I see on newegg alot of different options in the 400-500$ range depending if they are superclocked or not (from 575 to 650)
    any suggestions?

considering that with my setup I can get 6300 marks, what range of improvement should this card give me vs the 8600 gts? I've heard tht the qx9650 can be OC easily to 4GHZ with no crazy cooling setup...

I have to close this deal in a week cuz of my RMA policy so i cant wait 4 the new card :/

thanks a lot guys i you can i should just need some extra help to fine tweak my final selection! :)

I'm running a dual screen setup for my 3D modeling appls. When I play play at 24+'' and i would like a decent refresh and antialias...

7. biglonglenthman

biglonglenthman Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Extreme 8800GTX 621/2160
    Well then the GTX is definelty the way forward my friend, i would go with normal GTX you pay more for superclocked editions and you can easily do it yourself.

Anyways, i reckon with that setup you'l probably get 15K~17K 3DMark's its mainly CPU bound really so you should get some nice scores.

8. sephirothsinic

sephirothsinic Member

GPU:
    there are soo many options!
    any manufacturer suggestion???

any gtx overclocking guides? is it all software or i have to hardMod something?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  9. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    Just use rivatuner and overclock the gtx 650gp/1600shader/1000 memory. From there increase by 10 on each area until you run into problems and back down again. Every card overclocks differently so there is no be all overclock guide to tell you the limit of a particular video card. I had to go thru literally over 10 cards to get my first nice gtx to overclock nicely to the profile in my left. My friend did the same and recently he wanted to sell his to purchase the newer 9800 gtx or whatever comeing out in a few months. So they made a perfect match :)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  10. sephirothsinic

sephirothsinic Member

GPU:
    then by your opinion which manufacturer is the most suggested?

11. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    FALSE!!! NOT only high resolutions monitor for 8800gtx or ultra!!! high resolution w/ or without AA/AF, intensive textures, shadows, ultra-polygons and more... :)

12. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    To reply to your question about which brand of a gtx to purchase I would say it doesn't matter becuase they are all the same basically. If you like to overclock just a little I suggest removeing the fan and replaceing the thermal paste with as5 or another high quality paste of your choice. If you wish you overclock more then get a aftermarket fan cooler and if you wish to overclock alot then watercool :) Anyways again all brands basically the same just buy the cheapest gtx you can find. And again at this late of the stage I would wait just 2 more months and get a newer 9x model but up to you bro.

13. bfGDennis

bfGDennis Master Guru

GPU:
    Bfg GTX 295
    I soft mod my GTX
    max possible OC I can achieve is mem around 1040 ish, GPU core to 650 ish

also from my experience overclocking my gpu affects gaming very litle
    but you got more CPU boost so maybe you'll benefit more that way

14. terencek

terencek Member

GPU:
    I'd go with eVGA. That way, if the new 9800GTX comes out within 3 months, you can step up!

15. sephirothsinic

sephirothsinic Member

GPU:
    I JUST MOUNTED MY GTX !!!
    I had a 14500 marks out of the box ! in 3DMark06!!
    2.5 times my previous conf!!!
    i went for EVGA GeForce 8800GTX Superclocked
    and yes in case i'll have the opportunity to get a 9800 in these next 3 months i'll do it

thanks 4 your precious suggestions!!

considering that i have a superclocked core at 621MHz how would you proceed on the overclock?
    could i get some major improvements OC the card?
    I'm running my QX9650 at 10X and the 333 mhz OC doesnt heat much (43-44'C at full load) maybe i'll increase the FSB some..
    Any suggestions about further OCs?

thanks a bunch again
    tht had been a very needed upgrade to unleash da beast ^.^!!!!!

16. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    Pretty sure I told you in the other thread that you were gonna need a GTX. Glad you're happy with it! :cheers:

17. Nano74

Nano74 Member

GPU:
    MSI 280GTX OC EDITION
  18. Nano74

Nano74 Member

GPU:
    MSI 280GTX OC EDITION

with my ULTRA only 16367 pts in 3dmark06 with q6600@3,5ghz, not bad ahh!

19. sephirothsinic

sephirothsinic Member

GPU:
    I JUST MOUNTED MY GTX !!!
    I had a 14500 marks out of the box ! in 3DMark06!!
    2.5 times my previous conf!!!
    i went for EVGA GeForce 8800GTX Superclocked
    and yes in case i'll have the opportunity to get a 9800 in these next 3 months i'll do it

thanks 4 your precious suggestions!!

considering that i have a superclocked core at 621MHz how would you proceed on the overclock?
    could i get some major improvements OC the card?
    I'm running my QX9650 at 10X and the 333 mhz OC doesnt heat much (43-44'C at full load) maybe i'll increase the FSB some..
    Any suggestions about further OCs?

thanks a bunch again
    tht had been a very needed upgrade to unleash da beast ^.^!!!!!

20. sephirothsinic

sephirothsinic Member

GPU:
    sorry double post!