Updated XP64 Patchscript for HD2x00 series

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by schoko, Jan 24, 2008.

1. dhatadi

dhatadi New Member

Hi guys,

I've been following this thread with interest as I am about to purchase a card for Maya use. Three things I'm wondering about the selection lag issue.

1) What versions of Maya are you using? Is it possible the lag is only on the PLE version?
    2) Has anyone tried creating the selection lag on a legit FireGL?
    3) How about installing Maya AFTER installing the driver?

Since I don't have a working system yet, I can't test anything, but maybe my thoughts can be of help. :nerd:

2. maxtorag

maxtorag Member

GPU:
    Asus Radeon HD2900XT @ FireGL V8650
    Wait, you are working with the hand1.ma file...that one from rapidshare? How many polys per hand? Because my file from fragmichnicht from depositfiles called hand_smooth is basically your hand1.ma just smoothed and one hand has more than 1.8mil polys. That could make a difference in lag times. Plus my ram usage just after importing file is around 950MB.

3. potkan

potkan New Member

GPU:
    HD2900Pro 512MB
    I downloaded driver (8.391.2.1.1.1) linked in first post, but this is not for R600 series - V7600/8600/8650, only for 7300/7350 and older.
    so I tried to get newer 8.44 and i replaced Cxxxxx.inf file into 8.391, it works, but not good.
    CP doesn´t work, CCC I didn´t install.
    Radeon HD2900Pro, WinXP64+

4. NormanBates

NormanBates Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD3870 / ATI HD4670
    there really seems to be some randomness around all this: some people have selection and lag bugs, others don't

I don't think it's a ple problem, because when I installed a 7600gt in my system the lag instantly disappeared

and others have said it does not work, but anyway I may try to wipe the windows partition and install everything from scratch, if I have the time for that

by the way, about those CPU usage numbers... I believe windows is too dumb to see which core is being used when, so when it says 25% CPU is being used, even though the graphs show several cores being used, I assume only one core is doing all the work; if it wasn't so, it would be able to go over 25% with just one process, but I don't see that happening (ever)
    that's why I always configure it to show just one CPU graph: those separated graphs are good for nothing

5. maxtorag

maxtorag Member

GPU:
    1) Maya 2008 ext1 64/32bit
    2) don't have legit FireGL, but no lag with nVidia cards
    3) Tried every possible combination and no matter what schoko says, on 3 different systems, 32 and also 64bit, with 3 different driver mods, always had the lag...so either schoko is lucky, or many other people are stupid...but I am definitely not only one experiencing lag

My advice, if you have money or don't play games and if you are not only a CG enthusiast, go for legit professional card

6. noney

noney New Member

GPU:
    2600XT@firegl5600
    yup if u have the money then better to buy a pro card ...

anyway fragmichnicht deleted his hand ma smooth from rapid share and deposit file has slot busy for me so i just did level 1 smooth on all those 3 hand in hand ma1 file (98 mb file)......things got slow maneuvering around the viewport was slowest at 13 fps and that selection lag went up to around 10 sec but everything else was normal .....ram usage got upto 850 mb.......

and @norman when i applied the smooth the processor usage shot up to 56%.....

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  7. maxtorag

maxtorag Member

GPU:
    Well, I am not sure how the fragmichnicht's hands were smoothed, but the *.mb file has 195MB. So I guess it's more polys there...

8. noney

noney New Member

GPU:
    2600XT@firegl5600
    ok, now i first applied smooth level 1 to those three hand and then duplicated them it gave me 6 hands .....that gave me a file of 342 mb ....it was givining 8 fps while maneuvering ......lag of 10-12 sec on click select and no lag ( < 1 sec) on context menu option ram usage was 1300 mb......

does that even sounds good ???.....

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  9. dhatadi

dhatadi New Member

I'm actually building this for a friend who teaches Maya, so it looks like we'll go for a Quadro FX1700. Anything higher is out of budget range, and it looks to me like the Quadros are more reliable than the ATIs, even if they're a little slower in Maya.

Thanks very much for your advice, guys.

Cheers,
    Daniel

10. maxtorag

maxtorag Member

GPU:
    Well, V5600 is supposed to be better than fx1700, but again, I am not sure how the drivers work...you would have to look for the answer elsewhere, not in mod thread, plus with nVidia you have the possibility to use Gelato, so I guess it is a matter of preference. So far I have used fx1400 and that one worked flawlessly.

11. laverdir

laverdir Member

well,

tried on a64 system running fresh install
    of x64 win xp, hd 2600 xt 256 mb vram,
    the lag is there..

in rt ati patch scripts directory there is
    also antiprotection directory, does that
    scripts also have to be applied, or
    those are for earlier versions of drivers??

12. vijaynair

vijaynair Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS 320MB
    I have tried the FireGL patch given by Schoko on XP64 on 3 different systems (2 with 2600 Pro and one with 2600XT).
    All three have considerable lag while selecting hand.ma in Maya. Also have the ridiculous selection order bug.
    Unusable in production scenario :(

I use Maya 8.5. Will Maya2008 have made a difference. Unlikely, but I cant think of any reason that some guys are not facing the issue. Either that or they are not testing with the same file.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  13. noney

noney New Member

GPU:
    2600XT@firegl5600
    ok i downloaded hand smooth file (191,137 kb) and yup it lags around 10 sec ......and the viewport performance is bit skippy (for the first time ).......but everything else is fine ....... maneuvering around was pretty good (almost :D) at 20+ fps, ram usage was 650 mb

edit: the second time i opend the file everything was smooth (no skiping)....80fps ....lag was still 10 sec ....

i am seriously not getting a constant performance..... sometime in some sessions context menu dont work but when it works it works flawlessly :(

and i think that schoko used orignal hand for whom we had same performance ...

and guy i dont know much about graphic cards but when the mesh is so congested and contracted in one tight little place .....the performance suffer......if it was evenly spread out in bigger area i think thing could be much better ......like it could handle lot more poly in a bigger scene ...am i right ??

yesterday i was trying to push the card to limit with hand file by increasing the poly by smooth and duplicate ...at around 400 mb file size it gave me some kinda memory error......ram usage was around 1400 for maya....i am thinking this is the limit for 32 bit os ....is it so ????

i am just three month old to maya, i also would not recommend this card......8800 gt is way better i worked on it in my friend house a day ago ......so at this point of time 8800gt is better for any student like me who dont have big budget.........and u can play games on that too :D

Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  14. NormanBates

NormanBates Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD3870 / ATI HD4670
    thanks for the info everyone

it looks like the selection lag and selection bug are still here for most users, though some lucky ones have got rid of them, for some unknown reason

@noney:

* the XP32 memory limit is 2GB for a given process, around 3GB for the full system (may vary depending on the amount of memory in your VGA card: more memory there leads to less memory usable elsewhere); usually if you go over these limits ther is a very very ugly error (the application may close without a warning, the system may hang-up, and you may even get one of those nasty blue screens)

* quadro FX370 or FX570 seems a much better card for pro applications than 8800GT... the only reason to go 8800 is to play games, but you'll get about half the maya performance of the much cheaper FX370 (which, addmitedly, is not any good at all in games)

15. maxtorag

maxtorag Member

GPU:
    NormanBates is right. The only reason not to go for a pro card is gaming. I have switched my fx1400 with this modded 2900XT and I am not going back just because I found some good workarounds for all my problems. I don't experience wrong selection bug (since I don't use the array environment variable) and usually I don't work with scene that contains any single object going above 1mil polys. So I have the high-poly scenes sorted into layers which I switch to reference modes or hide plus I use mostly outliner to select poly objects. And since you don't usually vertex-edit mil+ objects, this way I don't really experience any lags or bugs ;) And everything else runs faster with my modded card. So that's it :grad:

16. maxtorag

maxtorag Member

GPU:
    extended desktop

OK, guys, since I bought Cintiq, I ran into another problem! Scenario:
    extended desktop 1280*1024 + 1280*800
    maya maximized on the 4:3 monitor; other monitor just empty
    multiple sub-windows open (testing scenario = hypershade + paint effects canvas + visor)
    positioned windows on top of the main persp. window
    while moving the mentioned windows over plane areas (timeline, layers, channel editor etc.), there is always a lag while moving back - for a sec, ghost of the window stays in such area (that would not be a problem, although with single monitor, it is lower and with regular catalyst drivers it is almost unnoticeable)
    but at some point, Maya always freezes

freezing does not happen in single monitor mode, and so far I haven't experienced it with 8.1 catalyst drivers even in extended desktop mode

any ideas? I NEED to work in extended desktop mode. So for now, I just use regular 8.1 drivers. What about the 8.44 driver mod. Maybe that would help?

every day I am loosing my excitement over buying 2900XT. I should have bought the V5600 or fx1700 for the same money but without this...

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  17. NormanBates

NormanBates Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD3870 / ATI HD4670
    <deep envy>
    wow, a cintiq!!
    <\deep envy>

I'm also using dual display (though with a much more modest standard monitor), and I also get freezes from time to time, but as I've always had that setup, and for me the errors also come with standard radeon drivers, I just assumed there was something wrong somewhere in my windows installation

if that solves your problem, you could switch off the extended desktop when you're not using your cintiq

I would expect the real fireGLs to have all these same problems, though, so maybe a cheap quadro is the best solution here (a 370 or a 570 should be enough for most cases; a 1700 or a 3700 would always be nicer, though)

18. noney

noney New Member

GPU:
    2600XT@firegl5600
    ahem!! today i pressed the key 6 ..........and damn!! :bang:.......max, i got what u got on hand smooth .......crash !!!:(

19. maxtorag

maxtorag Member

GPU:
    you see, told ya...nothing as good as real quadro...I don't remember any problems of this kind with my former fx1400

20. noney

noney New Member

GPU:
    2600XT@firegl5600
    ^^^^hehehehe ......i am just noob at this :).....

anyway guys, does the bandwidth of the card has effect on viewport performance??? ......like hd2600xt ddr3 version has 22gb/s but ddr4 version has 35gb/s ( which is what real firegl has. )......did i made a mistake by choosing ddr3 card??? help :(

i am going to update to the latest driver ......wish me luck :)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008