Tv Tuner card

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Nanolegend, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Nanolegend

Nanolegend Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire x1950 Pro 512MB
    Okay so I want a good tv tuner card.

Theres WinTV HVR950 hyrbid TV usb stick which is good and its like a media centre except no remote so i dont really care. its $89

Then theres Pinnacle PCTV HD Pro Stick which is $129.99 same as above, u get remote and IR. But I heard that Pinnacle gives u a better quality of picture in analog TV vs hvr950 also in A/V sources such as Ps2 and etc. or STB.

Now does anyone know which is worth investing in, i was gonna go for PCI card but it iss not compatible with Vista! So yeah those two are.

2. livesoft

livesoft Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 512MB OC2/Samsung 226BW
    You can't have a PCI TV Tuner? Because you have the advantage of having more inputs and being more convenient if you have a desktop. I have a Hauppage PCI TV Tuner with Vista Ultimate and the quality is pretty good.

I had a bad experience with Pinnacle Studio softwares. Crashes a lot etc. Don't know if it's the same for the TV software. Also, Hauppage TV software (WinTV) is really horrible.

My best recommandation is a Hauppauge PCI TV Tuner with Dual Recording (http://hauppauge.com/site/products/data_pvr500mckit.html). This may seem useless but if really useful when you want to record one program and watch another one. USB Tuner are more complicated to install also while a PCI Tuner just works after installing drivers. And the best TV software is in my opinion Media Center. It just works, and got all the features you need (guide, schedule, etc.) Only complain is the recording format (.dvr-ms) but it can be converted.

3. MileHighMilitia

MileHighMilitia Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS HD4850 + TT DuOrb 700/1135
    im looking at getting a pci tv tuner, how do they work? Would i be able to plug a cable into it from my DirecTV and watch tv on my lcd?

4. livesoft

livesoft Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 512MB OC2/Samsung 226BW
    Easy: Just install the PCI card on a PCI slot. Generally, you'll have a coaxial (cable) input, FM input, RCA + S-Video Input. Just plug in your receiver. After that, you go in Media Center (recommanded), follow the set-up. It detects which inputs you have and set the rest.

Generally, I recommand analog cable because you are able to tune channel with keyboard or remote (if included). Also you can have the guide and set up is easier. If you have an external receiver, e.g. digital cable, and no remote, you can only control channels with the remote of the receiver. If you got a remote with the TV Tuner, you have to plug in something that you allow you to tune channel with the included remote (from the PCI card).

Maybe it doesn't seems clear. To clarify:
    • Basic cable: Built-in tuner, guide included, automatic setup, change channels with keyboard or included remote
    • Digital TV: No control with PC, autmatic setup, have to mess around to use the included remote to work with the digital receiver.
    My best recommandation is to leave the digital receiver on the TV and put analog signal on the tuner.