Cream of the crop in hardware, but still cant shake the classics :D

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by soul8103, Feb 12, 2008.

1. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    Last few months after the cod4's and the stalkers I found myself bored of new games (not a pc gaming is dying thread, I loved cod4/crysis/stalker/bioshock and im still well into TF2 :D). So I thought to myself, what should I do on those nights where im not at the pub/work and don't fancy online gaming. I was tidying up the flat yesterday and lord behold the answer lay in front of me. I found a dusty box full of jewel cases and big cardboard boxes that now seem far to big for what they contained inside and took up entire shelf spaces in consumer electronic stores. Well Something that I really thought had been lost amongst the numerous moves I have done in the past 8 years. Sifting through them I found some absolute jems:

Giants, Citizen kabuto (the first game im playing amongst the treasure trove of classics)
    Nolf 1
    Star wars jedi knight 2, Jedi outcast
    Deus ex
    American McGee's Alice
    Grim Fandango
    Shogo: Mobile Armor Division

Theres many many more, but those were the first at the top of the pile.

So i remember playing em years ago, and never having the comp to max them out (giants and deus ex being 2 biggens) so ive decided to run through them again. Started with giants and damn i forgot how funny, and great the game really was back in 2000. It runs like a dream now and I still believe the graphics and animations are timeless (although the worlds are a little bare by modern day standards).

It makes me really proud to be a pc gamer, and im enjoying playing through this 1 and cant wait for the next ones. Especially since its been so long. The funniest and most ironic part of it all is i'm having far more fun playing the classics accept TF2 online of course which is still a hoot, than the cod4's and crysis's of this world. The graphics really dont bother me and it really makes me think whether core game play in games has really evolved so much. currently in giants im still wetting myself at those cockney accents and adult swim style bizarre humor. The artistry and thought thats gone into getting the little things right is what for me has been lost in the striving for graphical excellence in modern day games.

So gurus if your bored of the current dry season, maybe a trip to the garage or attic can re-kindle the spark that is single player gaming through good storytelling and compelling gameplay. The only question left for me is whether to play grim fandango or Alice next. I'm not looking forward to assassins creed, GTA IV or mass effect today, im rather looking forward to taking in majestic 12 in deus ex, HARM in nolf 1, or getting to that black and white coloured chess style level in alice. First i gotta kill some reapers with my cockney crew and some save some Scottish smarties though :D. I wonder if any of you guys have any oldies (sure the games i mentioned are not THAT old, but still 6+ years ago) that you would love to give a spin through again. If so go for it, i can guarentee if the games good enough, you'll have a blast if your anything like me.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  2. mattrxcool

mattrxcool Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX260 @ 650/1400/2100
    Grim Fandango was such an awesome game, I wish they made adventure games like that (clever and funny) still :(

EDIT: hahahahahaha i just read an old review of Giants and this bit made me laugh so hard:

"The game does require a power system to run smoothly at full detail, though. On the PIII500 loaded with a GeForce 2, the framerate was choppy at 800x600 with the details all the way up. And even on my 800Mhz machine at home, some of Kabuto's special moves that are accompanied by a rippling terrain effect slowed the game to a crawl for a few seconds."

LOL how far we've come.

3. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    No One Lives Forever is a superb game! An incredible mixture of action, adventure and an amazing story with some of the funniest lines and situations ever in a PC shooter. I loved NOFL2 as well, and judging by the cliffhanger, they were originally planning a 3rd too. Unfortunately Monolith got too hung up in FEAR to continue this splendid series :(

4. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i already did.
    played some Maxpayne 2 and Prey....i go back now and then and play previous games, thinkn bout busting out my dreamcast and hooking it up to my new 24" monitor

on my PSP i've went to classics such as these:

thunderforce V/ einhander
    mario bros 4..best one imo
    adventures of willy beamish...a sierra adventure classic :)
    mansion of haunted souls
    galaga

quite a few others, i like the old games. their quick to get into and out of unlike most of todays pc games. by that i mean old 2d type games, you play till you use up your 3 continues or whatever and get out of ready to play the next time you feel like it, no saving, no long storyline BS..etc

5. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    I have dvd's full of amiga, pc dos, atari 800, atari st, commodore 64, mame you name it! Lol bottom line bro is many of those games are best to remain in your memory. Once you load them up again they just let you down compared to todays games.

6. stereoxide

stereoxide Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus GeForce GTX 260
    I love Grim Fandango. Its one of those rare games that just gets stuck to your head forever.

"My scythe, I like to keep it next to where my heart used to be. "

7. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    yeah^^ some fantastic humor/dialog in that game. Shame you feel that way yelse im loving it. Its like watching an old movie again you forgot about. I was played through streets of rage at christmas time with my mate when he found his old mastersystem in the cupboard. It was still a great laugh lol

Edit

John i never get bored of using those banana peels lol.

8. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    ah yes classic games? i remember playing supaplex, grand prix 2, hugo, rayman 2, jazz jackrabbit, carmageddon 2, f-22 adf and CS beta 4 like it was yesterday...
    more "recent" games i loved were the max payne series, sims 1, black and white 1, sim city 3000, cs 1.6, hitman 1 and UT 2003. oh yes the all time favorite game was team fortress classic, maybe some quake 3 but definetly now TF 2 is bringing back the memories

9. Brian the King

Brian the King Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3080 Ti OC
    Nice, I find myself doing the same thing. Cool to see another Shogo MAD lover. I feel like that game was underrated.

10. getsuga12

getsuga12 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX870M
    i do that all the time, when i have no new pc games to play, i play whatever classics i have on my hd. I'm currently playing Day Of the Tentacle, Monkey Island 2 and Broken Sword: Shadow Of The Templar again

11. Thug

Thug Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I found a couple of my older games, and have been meaning to load them up again...

Rainbow 6 (the first one),
    Blade runner (what an adventure game that was),
    F22 (the original one),
    Unreal (the original one),

12. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Day of the tentacle and Monkey Island 2 are true classics, I'm considering going back to the monkey island series too just like back on the old 486. Theres a new broken sword part but unfortunately all the new nvidia drivers seem to cause glitches and black textures so may not get to finish it any time soon, Just started playing nolf2.

13. notyou

notyou Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6970
    I still play old NES games. The original Metroid was one of the greatest ever. I tried playing some of my PS1 games but started getting a headache from the poor graphics.

14. Smellbow

Smellbow Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080
    Ive got monkey island 1,2&3 plus DOTT installed all the time :D I wish i could find my indiana jones, the lucasarts point and click. That was good fun.

Also Duke nukem 3d and the doom series for old skool kicks.

Spectaculator is a good program for running a few ancient but much loved classics. Dizzy and how to be a complete ba*****.

15. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    ahh good old duke.., come get some!

16. pSilociN

pSilociN Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS 640MB @ 620/900
    Yea, lately I have been playing around with some roms. Mostly Mortal Kombat II and Megaman X. It seems these newer games make me appreciate older games more.

17. getsuga12

getsuga12 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX870M
    well damn, i completely forgot about the indiana jones game (i'm referring to Fate Of Atlantis in this case). Time for me to download it!

18. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    diablo 1, i started playin in 1996. my dad won the game and a few others in some random contest and he gave it to me. eventually he got tired of me on hi pc and got me one

19. Jeremy

Jeremy Guest

GPU:
    -
    I also love to play old games, I still play Beneath a Steel Sky all the time, Day of a Tentacle, Hugo 1, 2 and 3 etc etc.

20. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    welcome to my world :D