Epic Games: Consoles Taking Gamers Away From PC

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by ElDiablo2K3, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    Good post, I can agree with most things you said here (apart from the UT99 thing, UT2004 was good, but ye UT99 FTW!)

Okay I understand this, one thing though, it may be a preference, but when the CHOICE is removed, would you say that's a good thing? I certainly wouldn't.

Oh, the thing you said about the 'not interested' and 'nothing lazy' isn't true in all situations, some people may want to do something (like upgrade/change their PC hardware) but just think lazily and go for the easy option (a console), so it's not always a one-sided affair, I can understand that some people simply aren't interested about learning how to work with PC Hardware, on the other hand I think you need to realise that some people are actually being lazy.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  2. Zapmaster

Zapmaster Sherlock Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4870
    More like, consoles are taking away drooling "ooooo.. shiny graphix!" morons away from pc gaming. The more go, the merrier. And the reason why UT3 isn't selling like hot cakes is because it's the same generic online shooter Epic has been making for years, hey I guess they'll fit right in on consoles.

3. Postalisback

GPU:
    I agree with this wholly, I know many people who have the same view, it's pathetic, I thought the reason we all originally got into gaming was because it was a new experience to us and we loved to spend hours and hours PLAYING the games not staring at them all day. :)

4. DrSiN

DrSiN Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 Ti OC 1G
    I'm so glad people agree , it's restored some faith in a section of these forums that's littered with negative posts about the downfall of PC gaming.

5. Postalisback

GPU:
    Yep, after all it just seems like they are spouting out these messages as if they really WANT people to move over to console, bloody hell thats incredibly stupid and naive of them. :rolleyes:

6. Zapmaster

Zapmaster Sherlock Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4870
    The thing is, those are exactly the type of people that pirate the most. People with multi-thousand dollar systems that chew games after games just for their graphics. And developers keep making the same, boring, great looking games for those exact people. Gameplay becomes redundant, and they lose their previous customers, and gain very few new ones. PC gaming has always been more gameplay focused, and the more niche it becomes again, the more developers will make games that showcase strengths of pc gaming.

7. Postalisback

GPU:
    Yep, I know what you mean, I stopped pirating as I believe that I'd rather go out and actually BUY (alien to some of you) a game because it feels great to come home sit down, install and play a game for the first time. :)

8. Rodman

Rodman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX285 SLI@756-1580-2750
    It all comes down to this... It now costs millions to make a really good high end game and making it for PC only will not net enough profit. Though money from hardware/software companys would help with this.

So you want to make a multi-million dollar game that blows everyone away? You will need to sell millions of copys to turn a profit....That means console support and as we all see most of the 'big budget' titles are multi platform with the 360 getting most of the support, followed by PS3 and then PC.

I think in the near future the console and PC will be as one. The next Xbox will probably come with a new custom operating system allowing one to watch movies, listen to music, make cds and DVDs, email, pictures, full internet use and of course play games... It will download and update it's self with needed drivers, firmware ect so as it's always compatable with new games ect.. Nice and hassle free. It will also support keyboard and mouse and most anything else (web cams) you can connect to your pc now. Then we would have people playing COD5 multiplayer with either a game pad or mouse and keyboard on the same map. If one thinks he is getting owned becouse he is playing with a game pad against a oppenent using a mouse/keyboard, they have the option to switch.

The big diff will be that the hardware will not be upgradable except the hard drive. This would make it easy for devs in all areas (not just games but other software) to make programs that run trouble free and at the highest optimization.

Then all of us 'gamers' right now would be sitting at their same chair looking at their same monitor (running on a res of their choice) with the same keyboard and mouse, sound system ect...only on a 'console';)

An insight to the rez options would be a wide range of resolution options for standard use like web brousing and a limited set of rez options wile gaming. The 'console or system' would auto configure the game graphics options (lets say 3 rez options) so as to run well on what resolution the user chooses. For example if the user wants to run the game high rez the 'console' may disable aa to make up the performance and add AA to lower resolutions ect... I know most auto options don't work well with games on the PC now, but given the devs could set these options on one set of hardware they would work flawless.

What does everyone think? Am I crazy:3eyes:

9. Deadman93723

Deadman93723 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 260 OC2 MaxCore
    Couldn't have said it better myself. Most people in the modern world are idiots.

10. Postalisback

GPU:
    What a shame (unless you were referring to me being an idiot, how nice of you).

11. Used_condom

Used_condom Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC
    that's why UT3 is so crappy..

12. Deadman93723

Deadman93723 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 260 OC2 MaxCore
    I didn't mean anyone in general. I just meant that a lot of people just want to switch a console on a game oblivious to how there console even works, no thinky thinky.

13. Postalisback

GPU:
    Yeah I know, that's ridiculous.

14. klambre

klambre Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870@ stock
    U3 is not sold because the "harcore gamers" fleeing from PCs to play on consoles, it's not my fault...

Get real and admits that if U3 does not sell is your fault and nobody else.

This man is stupi* and it is believed that we are all equal to him, COD4 over pass 1 million of sales and still up.

Abandon a market of this caliber has only one word, incompetence.

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Not good enough... http://forum.pcvsconsole.com/viewthread.php?tid=22709

Check out these number, they're US only and COD4 sold 3 million on the 360 only in Nov/Dec 2007. Also, let's not forget that every copy of COD4 on the 360 is being sold for about $20 more than the PC version. Do you see now why devs consider making games for consoles first? Also, see how many copies Halo 3 sold in September 2007? 3.3 million!!! That's only in the US and only in one month on the 360. COD4 sold 1 million on the PC is simply not good enough. The majority have pirated the game.

16. gmavignier

gmavignier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    Piracy occuours for one simple reason: it's easy. I live in a South American country (Brazil) where not pirating games is stupid. People don't make enough money to buy a good gaming rig or a good console. Most pepople here are, only now, buying a PS2. Yes 2! It's still worth 2X the minimal monthly wage here. That not to mention games that are 1/3 or more the minimal wage.

This is why piracy exists. Think Counter-Strike for a minute. It was a great FREE mod that made a lot of people BUY HL. Even CS:S made people BUY the game because it was amazingly fun and almost impossible to pirate considering the frequent updates.

There is no doubt in my mind that the games that make the greatest amounts of money are the ones that you like regardless of the hype. That is because then you are going to tell a friend that is going to tell another friend and so on. Hyped games are only good for hardware development as once you hear they are not all that good you don't even recomend it to anyone.

17. GAR818

GAR818 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080ti TRIO
    LOL, PC gamers know when a game sucks, a console gamer doesnt, and buys random crap............UT3 sucked, stop crying epic, EPIC is starting to annoy me, crying about piracy and sales, why dont you shut up and make a good PC only game and see if it sells or not, retartds :puke2:

18. klambre

klambre Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870@ stock
    That You mean exactly ?

Consoles, or the sum of all consoles, always sells more than a PC because it is a cheap platform.

It has always been so, ever since I remember, and that's a long time.

But someone explain me because sell more than one million DVDs in three months, with a total of eight platforms in the market, it is a bad result.

We are becoming crazy? is not a bad result.

PC gamer market is big:

WoW has surpassed the 10 million registered, Steam has taken the same path and surpassed 13 million registered.

In the times that we are tell me which company can afford to lose more than one million copies sold and the possibility of reaching more than 13 million.

Not any company, because they earn money making games, is their job, no one in their right mind would lose the opportunity to sell only 85.000 copies as Crisys sold in its first month.

Because it is a great amount, perhaps not what was expected but an excellent amount anyway.

U3 and this person failed for several reasons, one of them is to create a version of a graphic engine development-oriented game consoles as a priority, this is the cause of their failure in the PC market.

Not that there are no players on the PC becouse play on consoles.

There many PC players , and PC games also selling a lot, its obvious.

19. Newfgamer

Newfgamer Active Member

Mark Rein = Ass

http://www.bit-tech.net/columns/2008/02/02/the_sky...

Read this article, mark rein is an idiot, he wants PC gaming to fail the UT3 engine is the max the consoles can do, so his engine will sell on that platform for the next 4 years, on Pc Ut3 has already been surpased. UT3 solded poorly because PC gamers got a rehashed game with a graphics upgrade. Console gamers don't know any better.

Anyone who says PC has no good exclusives is a crack whore:

Stalker
    Crysis
    NWn2 and Mask of the betrayer
    The Witcher (Best RPG of the last 2-3 years, better then mass Effect)

The 360 has what, masss Effect and what? 2007, the PC had the best exclusive lineup of ANY system.

Clear Sky coming soon
    Company Of Heroes and a slew on great Strategy games

Keyboard and mouse is mroe precise, responsive, and allows for much more customization plus Pc gets mods which add loads of value to games,

This is terrible journalism, and the same propaganda we hear from the PRO console press.

Give me a break guys, the media is a lot of bull and propaganda, mark rein ia an idiot, he says a lot of crazy crap, this is the guy that said Gears PC would have better graphics then crysis.

lets not even get into how mainstream = dumbed down crap. Crap games like kane and Lynch, lost Planet sell on consols because console gamers buy dumb crap.

I take quality, depth of Pc over any console. These figures never include digital downloads, and they compare 1 platform (PC) to all portable hardware and the consoles, seems PC gaming is doing well, it is an enthusiast platform, never was mainstream, thus never sold as well, doesn't stop great games coming out for it, as there is a market, as CDProject, Crytek, Blizzard , GSC gameworld will tell you.

20. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    so please explain.. how can you pirate UT3 for PC and play online? Oh yeah you can't.. at least not yet. Maybe in a couple years.... Maybe some people will pirate it to play the lame ass SP Campaign, but anyone who does that doesn't know what Unreal is all about. ONLINE.

And really, the console guys can have the latest Unreal. It plays like it was made for console not PC anyway.

I went on two nights ago for a laugh, searched all the available servers, and found a total of ... wait for it... 20 servers that actually had a decent enough number of people playing (10+). Most servers were EMPTY. This is a disgrace for a long time die hard ut player.

In fact I'm so sick of just seeing the icon on my desktop, I'm considering selling it to the highest bidder to get it out of my system.

UT3 Failed on the PC. Oh well, there are way too many games to play on PC still.. not a big deal. What upsets me is that Epic made their Unreal Series lucrative because of the PC market. Their UT following for UT99/2k4 was ALL PC. So what do they do? Because now its easier to produce for console they give their PC market the shaft? Right. Well, they won't be getting any more of my money, and you can bet a lot of PC users feel the same.