Vista SP1 on February 4!

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Whiplashwang, Feb 1, 2008.

1. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    so was the piost of the 64 bit exe true version or not?]

need to know or im doing the reg hack

2. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    Long story short, if you have The Refresh2 Version, which I think most of us have here, we have the final code, just not the final number, as both Refresh2 and RTM are the exact same code.

Read here as this is confirmed by MS themselves.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1165

3. Devolution

Devolution Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5850 Radeon HIS 1024MB
    How bad is v668 compared to RC2? Like when I installed it, I have noticed almost no difference in my Vista other than maybe faster boot time and more stability to an already stable OS.

4. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    Huge difference..its hard to pinpoint just one.... From a stellar OS before hand, it's quite amazing IMO just how much more smoother and faster this has become.

Im confident that im not the only Vista user who experiences this with RC2 that we now know to be the same code as RTM

5. Devolution

Devolution Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5850 Radeon HIS 1024MB
    And RC2 also breaks the timecrack and the OEM exploit, too, right? ^_^; Just curious.

6. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    Correct

7. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    Did the reghack using the .BAT found earlier in this thread - went to Windows Update, updated one file, rebooted, updated another file, rebooted, then when I went to Windows Update again, it found SP1...downloaded and installed (took about 20 minutes total at my 7MBdown and the installation too)

I *definitely* notice a difference in my Vista install...I tweaked the Hell out of it prior to installing SP1 - turning off services, registry hacks, etc. - but since, it's even more responsive, boots up a bit faster and generally 'feels' quicker...and it's not the 'placebo effect' either - checking the event logs for specific programs shows that there is a negative 'ISDEGRADATION' for each thing I've looked at, as well as *no* increase in boot time for any given service or app.

With the Windows Update version, there was no 'System Performance Score' drop, no activation ('cause I'm legal to begin with!), no time problems, and no watermark or anything else negative that I've come across yet. For those of you that are legal, doing the .BAT file found earlier in this thread is the way to go if you *need* SP1 before it's official release.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Psychlone

Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  8. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    Are any of you having trouble forcing V-sync after installing the Service Pack. Because so far I can't force it in Gears of War, The Witcher, Crysis (I could care less if I could), Bioshock, and S.T.A.L.K.E.R.; it doesn't work by trying to force it for the Control Panel. I can tell because there is tearing on the screen when I have it forced. But I believe it works if you turn it on in the games options. So please test and see if you are experiencing the same thing.

Whiplashwang

9. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    For those who still don't have it.....

i found some links for ya

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 download

http://sayuri.eu/

10. NvidiaFreak

NvidiaFreak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 7660D
    well when installing Service Pack 1, you got to reformat windows then install sp1 or else everything from program to games will be mess up, this is what happen to my friend today, he have to reinstall all of his games back because they was not working or crash on him.

11. Paladinchan

Paladinchan Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3
    now i have the Beta SP1.. should i uninstall it before using the full SP1..?

12. mrk

mrk Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    ?

Vista RAM usage and memory management in general is superior to XP.

RAM is meant to be utilised and people fail to realise this because they're so used to seeing 3GB free of 4GB on XP etc.

If you have 3GB free for example then that's 3GB of ram going to WASTE. Superfetch makes use of free ram intelligently so apps used most often load faster, files respond faster and Vista performs faster. Ram is there to be used....

13. x-speed69

x-speed69 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti Lightning
    yes u should uninstall all previous sp1 versions first

14. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
  15. Cybermax

Cybermax Guest

Eh.. nope.. updated both my vista 32 machines with SP1 RTM now, and no problems so far.. Everything seems smoother, especially file copy/move/delete and things like that..

Saying it will "totally mess up every machine" is wrong.. sure some programs may **** up, but so far i havent found any :)

C

16. dominant1

dominant1 Guest

GPU:
    Evga Gtx1070 Superclocked
    ok well i'm just gonna wait till march when it comes up on windows update...

17. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Installed SP1 and it works fine here.

18. Rillipiru

Rillipiru Master Guru

GPU:
    660 ti 2GB
    Well **** this peace of ****. No vsync in SP1 unless it is an option in-game. Older games, like BF2 does not support vsync in-game, so tearing all the way.

Just installed vista (again, about 5:th time) and it is still ****ed up! I guess i have delete SP1 to play BF2 with vsync, it just doesn´t make any ****ing sense!

Armstrong walked on moon about 40 years ago, but we cant have vsync in windows ****ing vista!!

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/display/wddm_vsync.mspx

19. eRa`

eRa` Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 570
    I guess we just need new drivers to fix this, but as long these aren't in sight I'll stay away from SP1.

20. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    HIS HD4870/Samsung2343BWX
    Vista Ultimate 64bit SP1! :rock: