Your Fist PC Cock ups. . . How bad was it?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by biglonglenthman, Jan 28, 2008.

1. biglonglenthman

biglonglenthman Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Extreme 8800GTX 621/2160
    Yeah man, too young to remember any serious jumper moving. . . glad that i am too

2. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    my learning was from the yearn to play all the pc games at playable frame rates.
    years before that, like back in the 80's, computers didnt fock up quite like they do today. the os's were simple, i just typed in some commands to play games and they worked, simple as that.

then i got windows 98 on a compac presario 300mhz intel with SIS chipset. i put in blade runner...ran slowly, later learned i needed more than 32 mb's of ram

i put in half life...graphics all messed up, read the manual about the option of graphics cards, bought a diamon viper, game ran worse
    bought a voodoo 3, better but then learned i needed drivers and throw in some crashes, bsod's, lockups, errors.....etc, and my pc took me to school and i realized i had myself an old fashion education of hard knocks.

the schooling has yet to stop.

3. gmavignier

gmavignier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    Live and learn my friends. Live and learn.

4. easy2007

easy2007 Guest

GPU:
    AMD RX470 4GB
    Well my first mistake was about 4 Yrs ago i bought a 478skt barebone from Asus with a SIS chipset, Intel Celeron D @2.4ghz, 512mb of DDR400 and a 9550 along with a 40GB HDD. got it all together only to find HDD was dead on arival. then got replaced with 80GB HDD so didnt complain. so finally got it all installed to find out that my CPU was as slow as **** and my 9550 was a tad old. Also my alternative system at that time was a amd 3000+ and nforce3 mainboard. ofc i knew nothing about computer hardware. and thought wot the hell y does the 3000+ only have a 1.8GHz clock speed so bought the 2.4GHz celeron just coz of clock speed. l8r (alot l8r like nearly 2 yrs) found out other things are more important and was a complete idiot.

another thing i did was buy a x1600pro coz i was still convinced my celeron was jsut being bottlenecked by the 9550. ofc i found out that actually the celeron was bottlenecking the 9550.

i have installed ram the wrong way round and thats how i lost my first system. which didnt bother me coz then i bought a 3800+ for 939 and a nforce 3 mobo. which paired with a x1600pro was a nice setup.

then my x1600pro started to stop working so i replaced that witha Nforce 4 Mobo, the one i have now. and a 7300GT DDR3 (thought i would give nvidia a whirl). ofc found out when a m8 asked for my (wot i thought was a dead) x1600pro that actually it just had temp problems. and the heatsink just needed to be reseated.

i have also not pluged my keyboard in and thought there was something wrong with the mainboard. also very stupidly not plugged power in and thought the whole pc was dead:bang:. i was shocked for like a gd 5 mins:banana: and then when i saw the kettle lead on the floor, i was so releaved.

also coz i need a new PSU but havent got around to buying one yet. i tryed plugging a second one in but thought i would just power one HDD and if that worked move on from there. ofc found out that spare PSU was dead and also thought i killed my HDD. so thought i had to reinstall windows:bang:. this was just after i had got a X2 3800+ and just like 4 hrs ago finished reintalling windows. so yes i reinstalled windows twice in one day and didnt even need to. :wanker:

i have also pulled a cpu straight out the socket. but lucky didnt bend any pins. :)

from all my mistakes i have learnt:

1. To be more gently with computer hardware.
    2. To not make rash assumptions.
    3. not to put ram in the wrong way round.
    4. oh yh Dont touch ur GPU core jsut after u have turned ur PC off and just been in an intensive game. beleive it hurts like ****. got nice burn mark. oh yh at the sametime i cut my hand on that graphics card as well.
    5. dont touch ur PSU while its one one hell of a nasty shock. (btw i didnt intend to do that it was jsut by accident while i was plugging periphals into the bk.)
    6. oh and always think of wot could possibly go wrong nxt:puke2:.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008

5. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Old P3 CPU fan stopped running - Bought a new one for 20 dollars which was for the wrong socket

My current DELL laptop which I fried the graphic card (but got it changed for free) because I changed the drivers to the most recent nvidia one. But it did go well for a while until it stopped (the driver) in the middle of an important DotA game

6. biglonglenthman

biglonglenthman Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Extreme 8800GTX 621/2160
    ^^^ wow, thats a shame, and i cant belive you easy2007 ur mad. . . uve dun some insane things lol

7. gmavignier

gmavignier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    Amazing. Don't take me wrong but you really were stupid. Lesson learned so be proud! I know I am after making so many stupid mistakes.

BTW I just burned a PSU somehow this week. My computer was powering off on it's own and I tought the PSU just couldn't handle it. I bought a new one only to find out the old PSU's fan wasn't spinning. Bummer.

8. Doubledarkhorse

Doubledarkhorse Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4850 Crossfire 684/1080
    The only one I can really think of right now is last year I decided it was about time that I learn how to use linux and I had a few extra parts laying around(graphics card, 1gb of ram, and a case). So instead of doing a dual boot on my current pc I figured I'd just build a budget linux system because building pcs is effin fun. So I surf Newegg over the next couple of days find all of the best budget parts for what I need and get them all ordered. So the parts show up in a few days and I'm ecstatic, opening the boxes and looking at the new goodies(You guys know the feeling, it's like Christmas when you were 8). I''m slappin all the parts together quick as can be when I get all the way to the last piece of the puzzle...the AGP graphics card that won't exactly work in a PCIx16 slot. OOPS! I couldn't believe it. I'm always so meticulous with matching parts I don't know how I overlooked something so obvious. I know, not much of a cock up, but I still felt like a tool for a few days.