Your Fist PC Cock ups. . . How bad was it?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by biglonglenthman, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Enozekun

Enozekun Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 8800GT
    Hmm, the worst thing i can remember was many years ago when i decided to clean my computer. I was going to take of the heatsink on the CPU but it was stuck kinda tight. Nowadays i would've jiggled and twisted it for it to get loose but i only used raw force that day. I got really shocked when i saw that the CPU was gone, I was like "What the heck?! Where is it?!". Kinda surprised when i saw that it was stuck beneath the heatsink i was holding in my hand haha, pulled it straight out of the computer :). No harm done to the CPU(luckily).

Well, since i haven't done any "real" cock ups myself i can tell some about the trainees at my work. They are masters on doing weird stuff.

One time one of them was inserting a RAM-stick at the wrong direction, the funny thing is that he succeded! He pushed so hard that it actually got inserted. Didn't see it myself but i guess the RAM either got bent enough to get stuck or maybe it just cracked.

Our newest trainee inserted a CPU in the wrong direction. Brute force which resulted in ALL the pins bending, not funny to bend them all back with a pair of pliers :D

Word of advice = If you need to use alot of force inside a computer, something is going wrong! xD

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  2. gmavignier

gmavignier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    This thread is a classic already. I have learned much just by reading other people's screew ups. It takes great men to admit some of the cock ups listed here.

3. biglonglenthman

biglonglenthman Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Extreme 8800GTX 621/2160
    I have to agree wasnt expecting so many bad things. . . i mean wow guys, theres got to be someone out there with a seriously bad things.

All these are good though, its nice to know im not alone, i too have pulled the HSF off with the CPU on the bottom :p

4. biglonglenthman

GPU:
    Very true, it does take a man to admit it

5. putty

putty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 4090
    I NEED a aquarium like that.... with bubbles and i would disangage all fans and then putt in some fish:D omg can you imagine^^

drools

Dont reply seriously on this let me have my fun^^

Last edited: Feb 1, 2008
  6. [Spitfire]

[Spitfire] Master Guru

GPU:
    ATi HD2600
    HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    "i ran like hell"
    LMFAO
    you made my day man!

7. gmavignier

gmavignier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    You are right this thread is very funny. Although sometimes I feel like too much of a nerd to find some of these things just hilarious.

8. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    lol, this exact same thing happened to me last night. The hsf was "glued" to the CPU and that mother wasn't coming off. I was very lucky that the cpu came straight up with it, with all pins intact :)

9. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Bought Socket A 2800+ Sempron.

Other mistakes were selling XP 1800+ and GF4Ti4200 which I needed about 2months later :(

10. BattleStar

BattleStar Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH4870 DK/HTDI/512
    The worst cock up i did was when i used superglue to attach a Intel decal on the case. Happily gluing i didn't notice that some of the superglue dripped on the floor and worse i didn't notice that i put my right foot on it. I did notice something was wrong when i got up - theres still a toe shaped stain on the kitchen floor.

11. Richard_Noggin

Richard_Noggin Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 GT 512MB
    hahahaha

12. gone_for_a_six

gone_for_a_six Member

GPU:
    8800GT@stock / 7600GT / XFX 5200
    Cockups? Bow before me mortals!

Ive done it all! :banana:

From shorting the ISA slot with alumunium foil in school
    to bending pins on my first pc CPU, a cyrix (its now a keychain that i carry everywhere :) all hail the geek lord)
    to removing the fan on my TNT2Ultra just coz i thought it made too much noise (what happened is anyones guess, it was a slow, painfull and smelly death, playing KingPin)
    to breaking a DDR stick in a SDR slot! (i did manage to get it in though)
    to vaccuming-blowing an thus screwing(wearing out) the bearings of my Gf4Ti4200 which left us one day, while struggling to run FarCry
    to jacking my MoBo trying to use a DIY USB pin connector i made from CD-Rom audio connector cables i had lying around
    to dropping HDD's from 3and a half feet, just coz the website claimed it can sustain a 4 feet drop! LIARS, the lot of em!

an many more fond memories of less major events, several shocking experiences, literally..
    the last few years have been uneventfull though!
    im sure the best is yet to come :bang:

13. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    oh man this is classic.. I lold heartily.

The only problems I've had were with a hdd that I dropped and broke, a brraaand new 4gb pen drive that I put into a test rig at work and it fried it (got reeeeaaallly hot!), and I think that's about it.. lets hope it will stay that way :)

14. philheckler

philheckler Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx470 SLI
    Bought an AGP fx5200 for my dell system about 3 years ago as the on board 'intel extemely crap' integrated gpu just wasn;t cutting it - opened the case abnd found the system had no agp slot ... doh! I guess the only way form there is up!

edit - this was the first step on the road to where I find myself today..... three motherboard and about 6 gpu's later.. (the dell is long gone - all i have left is the speakers..)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2008
  15. Pablo

Pablo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 5870 2g VapourX
    Not to many mishaps on the PC side really.

Ive had a few bent pins on cPUs, thought id blown up an x800 video card when my boss got me some barbs for my watercooling setup and got the wrong type and it leaked onto the card.(fortunateley it recovered after drying out).

However working in electronics mainly in design,service,repair, you do miss the odd capacitor,component the wrong way round etc. Theres the odd electric shock when not reading diagrams or checking voltage rails correctly or slipping with your meter across rails.

I remember a very large capacitor(the size of an oil filter) cant remember value now.. wrong way round. When this blew i thought id died man.
    The little ones you just get covered in bits of paper.(Eloctrolitic Type).

Oh yes ive blown the 5V line on my Amiga, luckily i could repair this from the top layer of the board.

I remember running a bit of tubing up the back of one of the test benches behind a unit that was up for repair. When my colleauge turned the unit on ready to repair it, i blew smoke down the tube and watched it come out the back of the unit.

Man i laughed when he paniced and tried to turn the thing off. Did i get all the crap repairs after that.

16. biglonglenthman

GPU:
    Well the worst one that ive just rememberd was building my first PC from scratch, and i had built it all up nice and slow taking my time so as not to break anything.

I even read the instructions. . . (well a bit) anyways so i had it all set up apart from one thing my brand new in the box 7800GT :) so i took it out, admired it for a few minutes. and set about fitting it into my case.
    Except the case was too small and the HDD was in the way so i had to move it, i sort of forgot about the GFX card though and in my anger and rush of trying to pull the HDD out i managed to pull a capacitor of my 7800GT :( :(
    I then had to put my old rig back together in the same case so i had a PC, god it was the worst day ever. Waited 2 weeks for a new 7880GT RMA (coz it came with a "broken" capacitor :cool: )

17. Richard_Noggin

Richard_Noggin Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 GT 512MB
    I was overclocking and went to high and my computer wouldn't turn on. I thought i had broken it and sent it in for a RMA. I found out later that all i had to do was reset bios.

18. Pablo

Pablo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 5870 2g VapourX
    Richard_Noggin

I can just see them testing the PC and saying i cant find anything wrong.

Good one.

19. biglonglenthman

GPU:
    Ouch that sounds unfortunate man, im betting you didnt feel too good after that one.

20. RanCor TDO

RanCor TDO Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1080 GameRock
    The first memory that sticks in my mind was me trying to OC my PII 266, back then to oc you had to swap jumpers on the motherboard and me being a noob just started being jumper happy and after it all the computer would boot with noting on the screen.

After a while I managed to get them back into the original position and was happy as larry that I didn't have to explain to my dad why his PC was broken :D

Long live BIOS OC'ing.