Question

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by HolyWind, Feb 2, 2008.

1. HolyWind

HolyWind Member

GPU:
    EVGA 512 8800GT
    Hello All,

I was curious if someone might answer this question for me. I'm getting ready to purchase a 8800GT Superclocked 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready video card, but I'm almost positive i have PCI Express x16, will i have any problems or do i need to get this card 8800GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Card

Thanks In Advance.

2. Species

Species Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GTS (512) 750/1875/1000
    I would recommend double checking your motherboard for its specifications to make sure you purchase the correct video card.

3. Andrés

Andrés Guest

All PCI express video card are 16x so there is no difference between the two models you mention. Still, it would be good if you fill in your specs so we can tell if your motherboard supports these video cards or not.

4. GammaLord

GammaLord Active Member

GPU:
    2g gtx 760 gigabyte oc
    the pci 2.0 ur reading about is a newer version of pci-e which allows for greater bandwith when matched with a pci-e 2.0 mobo.

Ur card will work fine on a pci-e 1.0 mobo and u probably wouldnt notice any performance issues.

5. HolyWind

HolyWind Member

GPU:
    EVGA 512 8800GT
    I updated my Info with all that i know.

What is the main difference between the PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP and the PCI Express 2.0 HDCP does the x16 mean anything. I would like to get the Superclocked card which is without the x16.

Thanks

6. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

The most likely cause of issues with upgrading to new graphics cards is not having a powerful enough psu, whats you psu make, model and wattage.

7. GammaLord

GammaLord Active Member

GPU:
    2g gtx 760 gigabyte oc
    The x16 is just refering to the pci-e x16 socket that itll plug into on the motherboard which is what all pci-e cards use...its just a sales pitch ones including it in there discription of the card the other isnt.

All pci-e cards use the same slot.

And yeah u might need a new psu if thats an older one u at the least should have a combined 26a at the 12v rail to run the 8800gt

8. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    Don't worry about the "x16" in PCIe. If you can insert the card on your motherboard, then your motherboard has a x16 slot. PCIe 2.0, PCIe 2.0x16 is the same thing. The thing to check is if the card will work with your motherboard's chipset as the 8800GT are a bit picky about some (old) chipsets.

9. HolyWind

HolyWind Member

GPU:
    EVGA 512 8800GT

Thanks for all the replys so far. I did open up my case and looked at the power supply. My PC is a Dell so its the standard PSU that came with it. It looks to b 350W, will a 8800GT run on this PSU?

10. Species

Species Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GTS (512) 750/1875/1000
    No, or at least not very effectively. I would suggest upgrading to at minimum 500 Watt Power supply designed for PCI-E.