Asus Striker Extreme and Penryn

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by ice_chiney, Jan 18, 2008.

1. ice_chiney

ice_chiney Master Guru

GPU:
    Dual 690s
    i will be lookin to get the lowestquad of the 45nm line wen its out...

i`ll be safe with this board??????

and wen do u average its release? cuz i believe the core 2 duos are this weekend :banana:

2. surrealX

surrealX Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    I don't think it supports the 45nm processors unless they make a bios update that does.

3. harvik780

harvik780 Member Guru

GPU:
    2x 8800GTS 640M SLI,2x8600GT,8800GT
    That bios update us already available.Its a beta bios.Look at this motherboards download page.The bios would have been released on 2008.
    P5N-E SLI and P5N32-E SLI already have a bios update of 2008 which makes them fully compatible with 45nm penryn i suppose.

4. ice_chiney

ice_chiney Master Guru

GPU:
    Dual 690s
    update

i got the board and order the e8400..

the box says the board is 45nm ready

it has the latest 1401 bios..the 1501 alpha is out jus waitin on it to be fully released

any comments??

5. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Where did you find the bios for the P5N32e SLI? It's not on the Asus download page, it only shows 1302 as the latest.

6. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Incorrect. I have the P5n32-E and have tried with several bioses and cannot get this board to work with my 8400.

I have talked with Asus support and they have advised me that bioses are being written right now for support of the 45nm chips. That said, wolfdale chips will be supported with a bios update. Yorkville will NOT be supported by the chipset and cannot be supported through a bios update.

So to answer the ops question, the chip may work with the beta bios, but anything before that it may not post.

7. ice_chiney

ice_chiney Master Guru

GPU:
    Dual 690s
    so wat about the striker extreme den??

8. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    The Striker Extreme will also be recieving a new bios.. they will most likely release all of them one day out of the blue. Hopefully that day will be soon.. I wanna install my 8400!

9. gmavignier

gmavignier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    How does the P35 shipsets fit in all this? Also the Striker Extreme is 765X right? Are they going to release a new X38 or 48 versions or what?

10. Jamesusg

Jamesusg Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 8800gts 320
    No the Striker Extreme is nForce 680i chipset well I hope so because I forced flushed it with the Striker Extreme 1301 bios on my P5N32-E SLI two months ago so I can clock it up to 3ghz

Last edited: Feb 1, 2008

11. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    ^ what he said..

so can you confirm that installing a Striker Bios on the p5n32-e actually works? I have never tried this.. was always afraid I'd bunk up my bios chip and have to get another one sent to me.. again :wanker:

12. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Yeah, I'm interested too. Does it disable any of the other motherboard functions?

Scooby, did Asus give you any kind of timeframe when you contacted them?

13. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    unfortunately not, Morbias.

All I wanted them to confirm with me is that the chip WAS supported, especially since a moderator on Asus official forums has been posting this sorta jargon:

"Don't hold your breath waiting for a BIOS revision... I don't believe that the nVidia 680i can support 45nm processors. I believe you need a board with an nVidia 700 series chipset to support Intel 8000 and 9000 series processors."

This is complete hogwash, and I don't know why they would allow people to spread misinformation.

Since they confirmed it for me, I'm just happy knowing its on its way. Though I would love to get a better idea of when exactly to expect it, but I'm not really in a rush. :)

14. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    I thought the dual cores were support but the quads wouldnt because it needed a curcuit change ??? im waiting on the bios myself as im tempted get a E8XXX

15. gmavignier

gmavignier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    So is a Striker Extreme 780 or 790 on it's way or what. I guess ASUS could keep the name and use it through out it's gamer series of Nforce mobos. Kinda like DFY with LAN Party.

16. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
  17. GreenSWLegend

GreenSWLegend Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4670
    680i chipset (Striker extreme is 680i) motherboards will support dual core 45nm BUT not quad core 45nm CPU. 45nm support will be available through BIOS release from ASUS.

This is reason I just sold mine. Also from what i have read, Striker extreme is not a good overclocking board for quad CPU and not sure if it be good OC for new 45nm dual cores.

18. Jamesusg

Jamesusg Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 8800gts 320
    tried sorry scoobydooby to stupid to put images

19. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Sorry to take this thread off on a tangent, but just wondering if you guys have done the vdroop mod? I just did it and it changed my vcore as well; ie. voltage drop between idle/load is down to 0.03v from 0.06v, but whereas before I had a 0.1v difference in bios between chosen core voltage and 'actual' voltage, they now read exactly the same.

wth? This just seems wrong, anyone have the same thing?

More on topic, so there is no current bios for the Striker Extreme which supports Wolfdale? I'm sure I've seen a bios from about 7 months ago for the board which listed Wolfdale support as one of the updates.

[EDIT] The bios I'm talking about is 1202, but this has since been taken off the Asus site, if you google for it you'll see what I'm on about.

20. Jamesusg

Jamesusg Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 8800gts 320
    Nothing has been disabled from the original setting
    It booted no problem without messing around with the raid.
    The thing it added of cause they won’t work the ones is
    disabled, silicon sata2, lcd backlight, option 1 to 3 led.