Would shorter wires lead to faster speeds

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by NN1T1NN, Jan 28, 2008.

1. NN1T1NN

NN1T1NN Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 280 (700/1200)
    As i was rewiring my comp the other day to make it look cleaner i thought if instead of me taking this hdd sata connector and looping all around to hide what if the wire was simply made shorter. the question to ponder is that would a shorter cable from say the dvd drive or hdd cause faster transfer rates or would the difference be so minimalistic as to being unnoticable. An analogy would be shorter wires being the shortcut while snaking cables are the long way around, maybe this is a stufpid question but still something to ponder.

2. TekkMarine

TekkMarine Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti GTX SC
  3. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    lol in theory it does but the difference would be not worth even researching about let alone talking about.

4. smnoamls

smnoamls Maha Guru

GPU:
    6950 2gb Dirt3 @6970 bios
    first of all, as a teacher i have to say, there are no stupid questions.

First of all, let me start by saying , yes shorter wires DO lead to faster performance.
    but taking into account the conductivity of copper wiring and the length involved, its practically negligible. A sata wire can be 10 meters long, and as long as the signal gets through, the speed / throughput will be the same.

But keep asking questions, and when all else fails, research it yourself.
    don't believe anyone.
    Not even me.
    Well, you can believe me , but always double check.
    Even me.

5. NN1T1NN

NN1T1NN Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 280 (700/1200)
    yeah i know i was just pondering a bit, that never hurt anyone on a side note what is the optimal temperature for an hdd, and what is the max temp for an hdd.

6. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    well... this is actually an extremely good question.

Consider a bus operating at say 3ghz, 3*10^9, the speed of light is roughly 3*10^8 m/s, and the speed of electricity approximates it If I recall correctly. This means that an electrical or optical high/low signal can propigate approximately 10 centimeters ( speed/hz ) in that time. Sooooo, to transfer more than 3GiB/s and have a distance of 10 centimeters to cover what do we need?

eta: This may seem silly now as hard disks read to slow for it to matter much, but as things move to solid state it will become an issue.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  7. NN1T1NN

NN1T1NN Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 280 (700/1200)
    i don't really understand that but oh well someone will, i am glad to see someone found something intriquing in this post.

8. TroM

TroM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD6850 OC
    The differences in speed are so minimal that you will barely notice, thus get whatever length cables you need.

9. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    I doubt the length matters much, all cables should follow the specifications (according to wiki 1m for internal and 2m for external). However this looping around you talk of might end up damaging the cable, so just for that i would get a shorter one (it's also less in the way then).

10. Jamesusg

Jamesusg Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 8800gts 320
    Well barely notice, that’s something !!

11. The_AC

The_AC Guest

GPU:
    R9 390X
    Lengths of wires matter for some things, like the link between the CPU and RAM, but it doesn't matter for the hard drive.

Length of wires affects latency, and is only important to worry about in things that constantly get updated.

12. irfdude

irfdude Guest

GPU:
    8800 gts 320
    :)
    Holy cow, you think too much!

13. smnoamls

smnoamls Maha Guru

GPU:
    6950 2gb Dirt3 @6970 bios
    for hard drives the operating temps can vary.
    Go to your manufacturer site and look up your models specs. The temps should be there.
    As for cable looping, be aware that in some cases cable looping can lead to electromagnetic disturbances. I've seen it happen in super dense computers, and it might happen in pc's as well.

14. TekkMarine

TekkMarine Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti GTX SC

It does make a differnce but it is so tiny.
    There isnt way you can measure it in seconds or mili seconds.

15. tuco

tuco Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 460's
    Initially if your wires were say a mile long, then you shortened them, then I'd say you would notice the difference.
    Omg.