New 150GB Raptors...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by rogue71, Jan 28, 2008.

1. rogue71

rogue71 Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 5870 / 3x U2410
    anyone else got one of these puppies?

ive bashed them in the past but apparently theyve gotten progressively better with each revision. so i broke down today and got a 150GB raptor as my system drive. my name is rogue......and (so far) i'm a raptor convert. lol.

2. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    im thinking on getting one or 2normal speed hdds in raid CANT decide lol

3. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    The Raptors are way way overpriced. At least they are here. I can pretty much pick up a 750GB drive for the price of a Raptor. Not worth the minimal increase in performance for me.

4. rogue71

rogue71 Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 5870 / 3x U2410
    well an almost 30% increase in speed it is within the upgrade realm. yes you lose a crapload of space compared to a 750. but thats why i have more sata drives for storage. i used to think you gotta have a large disk. fact is most people only need it for storage. no one plays 40 games at once so why bother installing them all. that kinda thing. i picked mine up for $193 cad so its not that bad. (i wouldn't have done it for a 74gb version though. thats a bit small to be practical even for me) i traded the storage capacity for speed, since i already have more than enough storage drives.

i understand that if youre not a gamer then it really isnt worth it and i'd only bother if you have a really good system.

and btw a single raptor is a bit faster than 2 normal sata drives in raid 0, unless youre using a good hardware raid card....yeah right. wouldnt it be nice.

5. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    u say 30% but can u explain what did u gain in

6. Sheninat0r

Sheninat0r Active Member

GPU:
    eVGA GeForce 7600GT KO
    Raptors have better seek times and worse sequential reads/writes. They have nice access times beacuse of the 10k RPM spindle, and low read/write because of low platter density. New revisions aren't going to change much.

7. rogue71

rogue71 Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 5870 / 3x U2410
    right out of the box the raptor has faster access time, sustained transfer rate and burst rate. rpms are also higher. 30% is an approximation.

apps load faster and run smoother. granted its not night and day, but its noticable.

8. rogue71

rogue71 Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 5870 / 3x U2410

read on...

http://www.storagereview.com/WD1500ADFD.sr

9. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    For me, the speed was not noticable. Perhaps a half second here or there, but really it wasn't worth the noise to me. So, for Vista I put it on a 500GB drive and left XP to be unused on the 150 Raptor. In my case, Steam would fill up a good 75-80% of that Raptor so not only was the performance invisible, the capacity was far too lacking for my needs. I do have a lot of programs installed as well though, and I do store all of my documents and media on other drives leaving the system drive for programs only. Even so, I'm slowly chugging away and with games ever increasing in size I'll be far happier being able to have all my favorites installed at once rather than have to decide what I want installed and not.

10. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    ok after reading that link WTF is a scsi drive i know about ide+sata but their seems to be these that are better than sata's + do overclcoekrs sell them

11. rogue71

rogue71 Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 5870 / 3x U2410
    lol. scsi is a different interface. its been around for a long time. mainly used in servers. if you had a crapload of money to blow youd be better off buying a good hardware raid card and going that way.

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/scsi.htm

12. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    Western Digital X/150G SATA Raptor 10000 rpm HDD(16M Cache Gamer Ed)
    $315.00 AU

Seagate Serial ATA NCQ 160GB 7200RPM 8mb Cache
    $69.00 AU

Is the Raptor going to perform 456.5% faster? Because it is 456.5% more expensive. Say it with me. Overpriced. If the Raptor cost around $100 bucks (which is close to a 50% markup and it still doesn't provide a 50% performance increase) it'd be worth it. As it is though I'd rather by a 0GB gold bar of similar size and jam it into the HDD cage. It'd be cheaper.

At the end of the day though if you are happy with your purchase more power to you. I don't mean to make you feel bad about your purchase, I am just infuriated and appalled with vertical dive "bang for buck" takes when approaching the higher end of the spectrum in any capitalist free trade market.

13. BorTriggerHappy

BorTriggerHappy Master Guru

GPU:
    5870 & GTX 275
    Like he said, everything in Australia is a rip off

14. TekkMarine

TekkMarine Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti GTX SC
    Not worth the money waaaaay over priced. Brought two from Ocuk and sent them back since they were too loud even in a cosmos silent pro case you can hear them. If you dont mind the sound there worth the money beacuse of the speed but other than 1TB drives i know are faster and cheaper.

+ 150GB LAWL !
    Not good enough for me i have about 40 Blueray DVD's and loads of apps and games so i would need about 10 of these. Not worth it m8 just not worth it got X2 Samsung Spinpoint 1TB 7200rpm 32MB cache! instead.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-053-SA&groupid=701&catid=14&subcat=

Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  15. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    were can i buy approx 150gb scsi hdd thing in the uk

16. NowhereMan

NowhereMan Guest

GPU:
    GTX 470
    Way overpriced for very little performance difference. Not worth it IMO.

17. It is a extremely fast hard drive and if you have the money for it you should definitely buy it. Definitely not a HDD for a budjet system.

18. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    but were can i buy one and whats the price

19. TekkMarine

TekkMarine Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti GTX SC
  20. rogue71

rogue71 Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 5870 / 3x U2410
    yes they are overpriced. but so are alot of other high end components.btw you dont need to store movies on your os drive. thats what big sata2 drives are for. everyone has their own needs.