HD 3850 AGP - confirmed!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Alexraptor, Dec 25, 2007.

1. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock rx 6750xt
    I am going to assume in the usa this card is easily going to cost $220 or possibly more based on what the x1950xt agp cost compared the the x1950xt pci-express costs. When i bought my x1950xt it cost me $175 with shipping while the same in agp cost $220 with shipping. Also lets hope they don't have the problems the agp x1950xt had.

2. masterman

masterman Banned

GPU:
    VisionTek 1950pro 635/790 Omega7.10
    Its 1950 agp all-over-again , only the numbers have changed ! Is this the last and greatest AGP ever , only time will tell , but one thing is for sure , driver support will be poor ! Thank you ATI , for thinking and caring so much about AGP users ! What good is hardware without updated AGP drivers !

3. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    If the price of this 3850 agp is under 150.00 then will be a great upgrade for agp users. Past prices of agp vs pcie makes me think it will be over $200.00. Anyways great news for someone with agp way to go amd!

4. gandalf21502

gandalf21502 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 260GTX 216, 700/2300
    I heard from Powercooler....

This card will release on 3~4 weeks of Jan, and price would be around
    $200. Currently we are waiting the driver to be ready.

Marketing name HD3850 PCS AGP 512MB GDDR3 256bit
    Model name AG3850 512MD3-P
    Memory interface 256 bit
    Core/Mem Speed 668e / 828m
    EAN Code 47125050 22321
    Output DVI+DVI+HDTV

Regards,
    Michael
    Powercolor

5. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock rx 6750xt
    Yep i feel this is going to be another hd2900gt card. Drivers only from the manufacture as only one or two companies will be making them.

6. Shuffl@

Shuffl@ Master Guru

GPU:
    HD5870M
    is it much faster than a x1950pro agp ?

7. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    given the numerous problems with driver support of AGP cards I would NOT buy this card.

8. calebMaster

calebMaster Member Guru

GPU:
    Crossfire 7970 1125/1500
    AGP .........needs to die already lol....i mean really i thought when the nvidia's 7 series came out theyd stop .....now its just sad :(

9. BlueIce1

BlueIce1 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 Vapor-X OC
    I tried one of those HD2600 Pros from VisionTek and couldn't get the driver to work. Lucky me my motherboard went bad not to long after and I found a cheap replacement board that had both PCIE x16 slot and AGP through a AGR slot. That way I could still use my old AGP card and upgrade later to a new PCIE card.

10. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    Provided the drivers will work somewhat properly then absolutley, it will be the fastest AGP card ever made.

11. Sp1kleman

Sp1kleman New Member

GPU:
    XFX 7600GT (AGP)
    Finally a retirement card for my 7600GT, the last agp system upgrade.
    Then i will move to pci.
    I really hope it gets around 150€, it would be sweet.

12. supreme555

supreme555 New Member

Read This!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey guys I refuse to agree with what you say. My PC is One core Pentium IV @ 3.7GHZ, SATA 10 000 rpm, etc. First of all, still most of the video games are not multi threat, just some of them. Yet, most of new the games are GPU based, instead of CPU based. I think AGP with PCs Pentium with 3.0 -3,2 GHZ and AMD counterpart will be able to handle any modern game with no mayor problems with the radeon 3850. For slower computers there are some tricks under the table: Tweaking the OS can give you until 25% perfromance. VISTA tweaked can be faster than standard XP and it still be able to use DIrectx 10.1 games. AGP user will benefit with this graphic card. That is a fact.
    Let's dont forget that agp users will be able to watch HDCP content not only in any LCD monitor, but the gorgeous 30 inches LCD with super resolutions up to 2560 x 1500 ?. It seems that this HD radeons 3000 family will be the only ones to deliver HDCP content through dual LINK, This is a think that not even the mighty 8800 ultra have!!! ( The 8800 ultra, and others can handle HDCP through only one link and you cannot see any blue disk nor HD DVD in a 30 inch monitor due to the fact that this monitor needs DUAL LINK connector)
    Of course that I am not going to play games with that high resolution. I know that my sistem won't be able to handle, but I will be able to watch HD DVD/BLue disk on my 30 inch monitor. This is a think that even a super gamer PC can't DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(without a radeon HD 3000 series) SALUD!!

13. Klaus_1250

Klaus_1250 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD3850 AGP
    Out of curiosity, what exactly are the problems with the drivers for AGP-based HD2xxx/HD3xxx cards? I'm interested in picking up a HD3850AGP, mainly for UVD.
    Also, what kind of support is there on non-Windows (*nix) platforms? Currently, nVidia has drivers for both Linux and *bsd, but what about ATi?

14. Imperious

Imperious Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward Phoenix GTX1070
    I'm no expert on this matter, but from what I have been able to gather poking around numerous forums, the problem has been an issue between Nvidia motherboard chipsets and ATI AGP cards as of about driver version 7.7.
    I have come across some that say all driver versions work with their AGP cards, and I'm assuming they have Intel based MB's like me.
    There is a fix now for this, if You download the 8.1 driver and then the hotfix file, it's all supposed to work again.
    Until I get a hd3850agp I won't know. as my 7800gs Nvidia card has no issues whatsover other than not enough fps's with the latest games.
    As far as Linux goes (I also have UBUNTU) ATI announced a while back that they are releasing source code so that their drivers may be improved considerably for Linux use, makes sense as a lot of people who only use their Laptops or Desktops for Internet and wordprocessing tasks mainly are wising up to how much money they can save by avoiding Vista (50% of all laptops sold are bottom of the range jobs, and run like crap with 512mb ram and Vista) and also using OpenOffice.
    Getting back to the point I believe ATI's Linux drivers have already gotten a lot better.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  15. Klaus_1250

Klaus_1250 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD3850 AGP
    Ok, thanx! Personally, I only use Intel-based MB's. Good support on *nix and Windows and never any of the awkward issues of nVidia/VIA/... have.
    Ati did indeed announce that they would be releasing source code, but they also said that certain parts, such as UVD support under Linux on R6xx-based GPU's would not be released due to DRM.

16. josef109

josef109 Member

GPU:
    XFX 7600 GT 256MB AGP
    I hope the driver issues get worked out with this new AGP card release as this too will be my final upgrade in the AGP format...I'v been trying to build a decent AGP system and this graphics card sounds like it's the last great stand for AGP'ers....I'm glad I waited and didn't buy the X1950Pro, as there seems to be lots of problems with that card and drivers...I wouldn't doubt if Nvidia shocks the world with a 8000 series AGP card release of their own...Who knows?....I can't wait for this "bad boy" (3850) to hit the streets, but with my luck, they'll release a 3870 AGP after I buy the damm 3850...

17. pcmad101

pcmad101 New Member

hi

hi thanks for the info on the hd3850 i didnt even know about it so have u tried it out yet how does it perform is it good on games :banana::puke2::bang:

18. Klaus_1250

Klaus_1250 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD3850 AGP
    Don't count on it. There are 79xx AGP based cards, but they don't have official driver support from nVidia. So you're stuck waiting for the manufacturer (XFX) to bring out updates.

19. chaotic1

chaotic1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PowercolorHD6970 2GB dead
    i might get one of these for my spare system which is running an am2 cpu :) , got board with my 8800gts lol . any news if these will come to the uk ?

20. honestjohn

honestjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk HD 5770 @ 1010C
    No, what's sad are you guy's and your constant trolling of AGP related threads. AGP Bashing is getting really old and I'm really surprised people still get their rox off doing it. I would think you guys would have gotten over this after the last group of AGP parts appeared such as the X1950 Pro, X1950XT, and the 7950GT. Now a decent performing DX10 capable AGP part shows up and it's still the same old song. AGP is dead, blah, blah, blah. Get a new hobby. :bang: